Stinky smell that is 100% not yeast. Help!!

Margaux Frasca

Feb 14, 2013
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow
Hi - I've not posted before, just lurking and learning. Our bully, Willow, is 13 months old and she's been on Organix puppy (& now adult) food since forever. A couple months ago she had a UTI (recessed vulva) and was put on antibiotics. Well the antibiotics led to a raging yeast infection in her ears, tail pocket and nose. It was awful but is finally under control, though we're over-diligent with cleaning now probably. She hates it... though maybe not as much as we do.

Anyway, I've noticed since the yeast cleared out that our house has this overly strong smell of almost blood & fish. Yeah, it's disgusting - makes my eyes water when I come home after work and spend so much time mopping and spraying and $20.00 on Glade plug-ins. I'm not able to figure out what the smell is because she's bathed regularly, no yeast, no uti... though the smell seems to be from her, somehow. When I smell her she just smells "doggy", even in her ladybits. Imagine having to grab your bully by back legs, lift her up and smell check her every day... not a pretty sight.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this smell from their bully and if so, the solution?! I think possibly she's becoming sensitive to the food and if maybe switching her off this might fix our issue. We were thinking about Taste of the Wild - salmon but seems like adding more fish smell could actually make me move to a hotel. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
FIrst, Welcome!
I am not personally familiar with the food you are using but it could very well be the food. Doesn't matter how good or bad the food is rated because some foods just don't fit some dogs and the dogs stink. It sounds like she is otherwise in good health so I'd try a food change. When we got our bully at 3.5 years old the breeder had her on BilJac food and she stunk. We changed food primarily because BilJac is so poorly rated but Gracie's objectionable smell went away with the change to Fromm. It may take some trial and error to find the right food for your bully but it would be worth a try.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and welcome to the EBN..... I agree with Bruce -- seems the food may be your cuprit and changing product or just protein may be of assistance.
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

OP
Margaux Frasca

Margaux Frasca

Feb 14, 2013
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow
I'm reading more and more about anal glands too and in a sad turn of events, I think this might be part of our issue. She's a butt scooter, but I just attributed that to the yeast in the tail pocket that she was battling, but now I'm not so sure. What I am sure of is that I'll be buying a carpet shampooer today. And gloves. And a mask. Maybe all new rugs.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcomes by the way!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh could be the anal glands if you haven't had them expressed. I knew nothing of anal glands when mugsy (pug) started with this funky fishy smell. That was it! Some bullies never need expressed but mine both need it done at minimum every 2 months. If they rnt full then I would try the food change.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and as others have said it could be the food, but you may be on to something with the anal glands. I'd take her somewhere and have them expressed to see if that helps.

G

General Jackson

I just experienced that iron and extreme fishy smell with Jackson today and He just turned 3 mo. Can his anal glands b full already at such a young age?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I agree with everyody above..Oh and Welcome, I live in FL. too!!!...My first post on this site almost 3 years ago was my dog stunk!! I too cleaned, bathed, plug ins etc...and it all boiled down to his food. After doing a slow food change to a grain free food Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon (and no fishy smell from the food) within weeks, no smell!! Also Vegas has gotten his Anal Glands done since he was about 6 months old on a pretty regular basis about every 5-6 weeks I knew by the scooting back then only I thought he had worms, lol. If you go to Home Page, scroll down to Articles, click on Dog Food Testimonials, I wrote an article on smelly dog and dog food change "Meet Vegas". You can see I was almost ready to re-home I was at my wits end with the smell!!
[MENTION=8158]General Jackson[/MENTION], Vegas was about 6 months old and had to start getting his anals done, been going every since for over 3 years about every 5-7 weeks.

OP
Margaux Frasca

Margaux Frasca

Feb 14, 2013
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow
Sounds like it might be her anal glands, her vet can express them for you, or if you are brave enough there is post about doing it yourself somewhere. @ JeannieCO can help with that.
Just wondering how old she us though..is it possible she's coming into season? Lucy gets a funky smell just before she starts to bleed. We just clean her down there with warm soapy water and dry her thoroughly x

She's 13 months but she was spayed prior to us adopting her at 7 months old. Her previous owner admitted to being a LOT overwhelmed with the breed and she hadn't seen a Bulldog specific vet so she was spayed, chipped, hospitalized as a new puppy because she was given Bordatella, kept in a crate 23/24 hours per day, not potty trained, on a whole mess of medications, etc. Makes me sad she had such a rough start but she's in good shape now and such a cool little bug, even if slightly behind and more than slightly stubborn... and smelly. :D

Speaking of, I wonder if anyone else finds dirt colored yuck in between their pups back legs too. Seems like she gathers gunk back there, from where her incision was to her business end. It's clearly dirt and not yeasty - she's all sorts of naked there... Just kind of gross - I clean it off her every day.

I "checked" her anal glands last night. And by that I mean I did a casual observation *blech* - can't really tell much but I'm going to have them dealt with this weekend. I'm also buying one more bag of the Organix and one of Taste of the Wild Salmon to slowly change her over. I'll give that a month or two and see how the smell (and fish backlash) goes. She's due for a checkup in a couple months regardless so I may have the allergy testing done at that time and figure this out once and for all!

OP
Margaux Frasca

Margaux Frasca

Feb 14, 2013
Tampa, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow
I agree with everyody above..Oh and Welcome, I live in FL. too!!!...

I see you're in Bradenton - I'll be down that way all next week for work. Glad to have Bully owners in this climate to refer too. I've had lots of people ask me how on Earth I have a bulldog in this heat... but I don't know yet, because we only got her at the end of September! My best answer will probably be: "Oh, is she supposed to move off of the couch?"

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.