Backpack Shopping for Bo - Recommendations Please

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
After a very long walk at North Creek Park (fabulous for dogs and birders like me - if you live near Mill Creek, WA), Bea, Bo and I walked into the Mill Creek "Paddywack" store to find him a durable backpack that will eventuallly hold some serious stuff. I need to take Bo's walk to the next level (as Cesar says) and give him a job AND tire him out a little quicker. Bea just can't sustain his activity level over time and I like to do things with BOTH dogs. Paddywack is a fabulous shop in Mill Creek and spendy too; I was prepared to pay WHATEVER they wanted and have him fitted properly for the perfect pack. Disappointment!!!! They had NO EXTRA LARGES in any of the packs in stock. WHAT?! I know. Insane. Googles and Amazon searches have only further convoluted my search. They seem to all be built a little differently and the Amazon reviews I rely on for most purchases are pretty inconsistent.

What Perfect Pack do you have and use? I want it to carry some weight so in the summer, Bo can haul water for both dogs. I want it to be easy on/off. Reflective material on it somewhere would be a bonus and if it came in red/black, even better. He's 75 lbs and as chesty as they come. Bea does not need a matching pack...it's all she can do to carry herself around. LOL

Please help me find Bo's perfect Backpack!
P4150034.jpg We wanna HIKE!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
We we this one by Outward Hound from Petsmart for Jack. He carries two bottles of water, bags and a tennis ball. Have you checked REI or Ruff Wear? Not 100% sure on Ruff Wear.

image.jpgimage.jpg

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
From Ruff Wear

50101_ApproachPack_PacificBlue_Right_Zoom.jpg

KEY FEATURES

Attached saddlebags feature an efficient, weight-forward design
The Web Master™ Harness frame provides load stability and weight distribution
Padded assistance handle makes it easy to help dogs up and over obstacles
Trail-ready details: stash pockets, coated zippers, and external gear loops
Single-piece, anodized aluminum V-ring leash attachment provides a secure leash attachment point
Low-light visibility with reflective trim

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am thinking this would be good for Chanel ( I carry the waters now )

Love that picture of Bea and Bo! I could never visit you b/c I would gooo gooo gaga over them LOL

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I did it. I went to REI and spent way more than necessary for the ULTIMATE DOG PACK for Mister Bo. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] - I really like the features on the one you have --- but the pickens (oddly enough) were slim. I got the ONLY XL in the store and settled for the REI brand. We are going to road test it today and I promise photos and a full download on Bo's "getting some acceptance" about a pack being on him. ROFLMAO!

The REI Ultra dog pack http://www.rei.com/product/832677/rei-ultra-dog-pack combines well-designed features with durable, high-quality materials to make your dog's backpacking experience sheer joy! (I like that "sheer joy" part) It has a lot of features but these are ones that sold me on this pack:

100% post-consumer recycled PET body is built tough to stand up to heavy outdoor use (Recycled!)
Water-repellant zippers help seal out the elements and protect the contents from moisture (perfect for where it never stops raining)
Zippered top pocket on each saddlebag holds small items within easy reach (Bo will be carrying cigarettes and lighter from now on. Yes!)
Harness combines mesh for breath-ability (yes!) and padded sections for comfort; perforated EVA foam reduces weight without sacrificing comfort or durability

Modeling photos to come! Or perhaps, a video of Bo spazzing out when I put the pack on....? Bwhahahahahaha!

Attachments

• REI Ultimate Dog Pack.gif
    REI Ultimate Dog Pack.gif
    43 bytes · Views: 243
Last edited:
OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I am thinking this would be good for Chanel ( I carry the waters now )

Love that picture of Bea and Bo! I could never visit you b/c I would gooo gooo gaga over them LOL

No touch, no talk, no eye contact! LOL

Yeah. it's about time Bo carried Bea's water. She's thirsty a lot. LOL

[MENTION=2488]babybully[/MENTION] That's Little Bea. She's not a huge fan of exercise -- but she manages to keep up. This backpack is going to slow Bo down a bit --- level the hiking playing field a bit in Miss Bea's favor....

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack actually really likes his on him, maybe because he's a working dog. Will be looking for pics too. I hadn't looked at the REI ones yet.

We're practicing the no touch, no eye contact, no talk right now for when people come over. All must sit and stay before anyone can enter. So far it's helping but it's a slow process.

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
How do you guys find the backpacks for your bullies tiring out and getting too hot? I have always wanted to try one out but Tonka overheating has scared me :S

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bo and his New Backpack.jpg

Forgive me! I thought I'd already posted the Bo's Backpack Update. Anywhere, he's our little hiker in his new gear. Earlier this week, his load limit got increased by one 12 oz water bottle in each side of the pack. He could tell the difference. LOL He's always happy to get it put on him (so we must assume that he likes having a job to do). He's managed through the challenge of having one of the straps ride across the middle of his penis --- it probably felt strange! --- and he can pee now, as normal, unabated by the strap. When he's wearing it, he focuses MUCH LESS on peeing on everything. (When it's just me and him, he only gets to pee when I say so but when its me, Bo and Bea, he has more time to devote to peeing on every single bush possible because we're always waiting on Bea to catch up to us. When the pack is on, he's focused on carrying --- which is awesome.

Here's the SURPRISING thing about this addition to our The Walk repertoire; Bea LOVES it when Bo has his pack on. She moves a little faster and skippity do dahs a little bit more than normal. During a regular walk, she plods along and it an exercise in patience (from me and Bo) just to not get pissed off at her dwadling. If a leaf blows by, she's like Mario Andretti on the thing - WARP SPEED CAPTAIN! So it's not like she CAN'T move....its that she don't WANNA move. LOL Walks just take longer; that's our reality. But when Bo's got his pack on, it's almost like she is saying:

"HA HA HA!!! He has to wear that thing and I don't!"
or
"Hooray - an equalizer! This will slow him down!"
or (and this is probably more reality)
"Something new and different is happening! Hooray!"
Regardless, it's VERY cute to watch her little rosebud ears flippy flop down the stairs AHEAD of Bo as he's getting his act together with the pack freshly attached!

This summer? REAL SWIMMING with Flotation Vests! Many of you all already have them and I'm convinced real swimming is going to be another great source of exercise for Bo and Bea. I ran into a gal yesterday who I hadn't seen in AGES. She got her "dream dog" years before I did and her sweet Daisy is TEN YEARS OLD! She showed me some pics of her swimming when they're out in their boat as recently as last summer. Active dogs and weight management - maybe we can make them live forever huh? LOL

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
How do you guys find the backpacks for your bullies tiring out and getting too hot? I have always wanted to try one out but Tonka overheating has scared me :S

You know, as with any kind of activity with these dogs, you have to watch them closely for overheating. I'd never take them out for a walk --- backpack or not -- in the heat of the day. In summer time, we get a lot of doggie exercise by playing in the backyard pool. And even then, I have to watch Bo because he'll lay in the sun and cook himself. He's not smart enough to move into the shade on his own. Early morning walks help. We have a park near us that has a creek so in the summer, it's the perfect place to go. We walk in the cool(er) forest trails and then hit the creek for some cool down time. If it's super warm, we just take frequent breaks and pack water and a bowl with us to keep everyone hydrated.
Dogs - Hiking on Holiday Break.jpg <== the trickle that turns into the creek they swim in.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
cool beans! that pack is awesome, Bo looks so proud of himself with the pack on!!! this is the first time since I've joined that I got to see so many pictures of Bo & Bea ... i love it!!!

last summer I got life jackets for Diesel & Molly and was very happy with how well they worked ... they had a blast playing in the water and I didn't have to worry as much that they would get in water over their heads. I hope to be able to take them swimming again this year!!

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
cool beans! that pack is awesome, Bo looks so proud of himself with the pack on!!! this is the first time since I've joined that I got to see so many pictures of Bo & Bea ... i love it!!!

last summer I got life jackets for Diesel & Molly and was very happy with how well they worked ... they had a blast playing in the water and I didn't have to worry as much that they would get in water over their heads. I hope to be able to take them swimming again this year!!

Definitely getting a couple for summertime! What kind did you get? Where? Recommendations?
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] has some nice ones -- I've seen pics on here.

Part of the wait on this was not wanting to buy an another one because Bo keeps GROWING. I think he's done now. I hope so. LOL He certainly tips waaaayyyy past the limit for the complex I live in. Fortunately, he's better behaved them the snarly little barkers that are "less than 40 lbs".

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.