"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Backpack Shopping for Bo - Recommendations Please

Quote Originally Posted by TonkaTruck28 View Post
    How do you guys find the backpacks for your bullies tiring out and getting too hot? I have always wanted to try one out but Tonka overheating has scared me :S
    You know, as with any kind of activity with these dogs, you have to watch them closely for overheating. I'd never take them out for a walk --- backpack or not -- in the heat of the day. In summer time, we get a lot of doggie exercise by playing in the backyard pool. And even then, I have to watch Bo because he'll lay in the sun and cook himself. He's not smart enough to move into the shade on his own. Early morning walks help. We have a park near us that has a creek so in the summer, it's the perfect place to go. We walk in the cool(er) forest trails and then hit the creek for some cool down time. If it's super warm, we just take frequent breaks and pack water and a bowl with us to keep everyone hydrated.
    -dogs-hiking-holiday-break-jpg <== the trickle that turns into the creek they swim in.

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

cool beans! that pack is awesome, Bo looks so proud of himself with the pack on!!! this is the first time since I've joined that I got to see so many pictures of Bo & Bea ... i love it!!!

last summer I got life jackets for Diesel & Molly and was very happy with how well they worked ... they had a blast playing in the water and I didn't have to worry as much that they would get in water over their heads. I hope to be able to take them swimming again this year!!
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    cool beans! that pack is awesome, Bo looks so proud of himself with the pack on!!! this is the first time since I've joined that I got to see so many pictures of Bo & Bea ... i love it!!!

last summer I got life jackets for Diesel & Molly and was very happy with how well they worked ... they had a blast playing in the water and I didn't have to worry as much that they would get in water over their heads. I hope to be able to take them swimming again this year!!
    Definitely getting a couple for summertime! What kind did you get? Where? Recommendations?
    @JeannieCO has some nice ones -- I've seen pics on here.

Part of the wait on this was not wanting to buy an another one because Bo keeps GROWING. I think he's done now. I hope so. LOL He certainly tips waaaayyyy past the limit for the complex I live in. Fortunately, he's better behaved them the snarly little barkers that are "less than 40 lbs".

Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@Vicaroo1000 - I have the Petco brand life jacket, when I got mine, I had to have them right then that day because we were on the way to the lake. I did a lot of research on the Outward Hound and that is what I would have bought had I not needed them same day ... but I will say I am pleased with the Petco Brand jacket, they worked very well and kept but my precious babies afloat!

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Definitely getting a couple for summertime! What kind did you get? Where? Recommendations?
    @JeannieCO has some nice ones -- I've seen pics on here.

Part of the wait on this was not wanting to buy an another one because Bo keeps GROWING. I think he's done now. I hope so. LOL He certainly tips waaaayyyy past the limit for the complex I live in. Fortunately, he's better behaved them the snarly little barkers that are "less than 40 lbs".
    I've seen some really nice ones at Petsmart/Petco. I get mine from Ruff Wear. Wilson doesn't really need one from there but Jack does since he's on the boat. We've used this brand for 10+ years now. Workmanship is outstanding in them. Emma does really good in hers. Wilson could use a less stiff brand though. He looks like the Michcelin Man stuff into a girdle.
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs4me View Post
    @Vicaroo1000 - I have the Petco brand life jacket, when I got mine, I had to have them right then that day because we were on the way to the lake. I did a lot of research on the Outward Hound and that is what I would have bought had I not needed them same day ... but I will say I am pleased with the Petco Brand jacket, they worked very well and kept but my precious babies afloat!
    When I go get Bea's, I'm going to have to take her in to get fitted. She's built like a fire hydrant. The Petco ones might work better for her since they are lighter weight and more flexible (Re: Jeannie's comment about Wilson's below. Makes sense!)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    I've seen some really nice ones at Petsmart/Petco. I get mine from Ruff Wear. Wilson could use a less stiff brand though. He looks like the Michcelin Man stuff into a girdle.
    I use Ruff Wear martingale style collars. I toss them into the washer/dryer at bath time and they come out as shiny and new as the dogs wearing them.

I can't wait to see them really SWIMMING!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i got sarahs and the boys from petsmart as i needed them right then. the boys love love them and i dont have to worry bout them swimming out and drowning as we were all busy camping and stuff and they were all over the place. sarah however is not as enamoured with the water. i have taken her out with her vest and she just swims back to shore and gets out and glares at me. i keep trying though. bea and bo look great.

Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    When I go get Bea's, I'm going to have to take her in to get fitted. She's built like a fire hydrant. The Petco ones might work better for her since they are lighter weight and more flexible (Re: Jeannie's comment about Wilson's below. Makes sense!)

I use Ruff Wear martingale style collars. I toss them into the washer/dryer at bath time and they come out as shiny and new as the dogs wearing them.

I can't wait to see them really SWIMMING!
    these are some pictures of the life jackets I have:

-100_0523-jpg Molly really loved playing in the water and the vest kept her afloat without worry!
    -100_0526-jpg Diesel played in the water more then I thought he would and the life jacket didn't seem to be to uncomfortable for him.
    -100_0544-jpg All in all, they held them up, they don't seem to be uncomfortable, they were able to move and have fun while wearing them, so I say .

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    i got sarahs and the boys from petsmart as i needed them right then. the boys love love them and i dont have to worry bout them swimming out and drowning as we were all busy camping and stuff and they were all over the place. sarah however is not as enamoured with the water. i have taken her out with her vest and she just swims back to shore and gets out and glares at me. i keep trying though. bea and bo look great.
    That's cause she doesn't think the life jacket matches her hoodie.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gobronco View Post
    That's cause she doesn't think the life jacket matches her hoodie.
    omg thats what it is thank you

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Ooooo! Great floatie stories! Oh weeeeeeeeeee are gonna have some Fun! Fun! FUN! this summer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads