Peeing On Furniture??!!! HELP!

Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
So, now that we are getting settled, we've been slowly furnishing our new apartment, and Roxy has decided that it's her new duty to pee on the furniture.

Nothing is immune. The bed, the beanbag chair... Everything BUT the floor. I don't get it. She has never done this before, and I have no idea what to do about it. I'm petrified to put the new couch together because I know she will pee on it.

Usually this happens if we step out of the apartment for even 5 min, but it also happens when we are just not watching her. Suddenly, we turn around and she's peed on something. The other night, she was sleeping up on the bed with us, got up and pee'd right on Jeff!! We take her out every few hours when she asks us to go (and she is VERY good about asking to go when she needs to). It seems like more a "marking" type behaviour, but I have never had a female dog do this before. She's not spayed (though she will be within the next month)... could that have something to do with it???

I am at my wits end with this. We are going through entire bottles of Nature's Miracle in the course of a week. It is steadily getting worse, too. The last week, there has not been one night she's not peed on the furniture.

Please help. :(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oyyyyyy! Well..I would treat it like she's not housebroken. It's not uncommon for them to revert and start peeing and even pooing at about 7 months..I'm not sure of Roxy's age?? If you don't get it under control, it can be a long term problem. But the good news is..if you clamp down and go back to puppy training, she will get the picture very quickly. If you use a crate..back to that for a couple weeks. Put her on a leash in the house and correct any signs of her going quickly and consistently. Start taking her out every couple hours. You remember all of this..right? She just needs a refresher course! :)

Get a good shampoo and get her scent out..I like Nature's Miracle. Don't worry..she will get it right away! She's testing you and probably a bit uncertain in her new home.

OP
Raspberryswirl
Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
She's 3 years old. :\

Basically every time she does it we show her what she's done, sternly tell her NO, and then put her directly into her crate. We got her as a rescue, so we n ever potty trained her... not really sure what to do besides what we are already doing. :(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
She's 3 years old. :\

Basically every time she does it we show her what she's done, sternly tell her NO, and then put her directly into her crate. We got her as a rescue, so we n ever potty trained her... not really sure what to do besides what we are already doing. :(

Ok! We have rescued many many full grown dawgs! I am experienced with this! I'll tell you what our vet told us. As they become comfortable and feeling at home, often they will revert to puppyhood behavior. They are reliving their lives and we have had them pee and start puppy chewing. We always made sure there wasn't a physical problem..UTI..Bladder infection,etc. if not..it's the same as above. You have to reeducate her and restart training ..back to basics and use the crate..retraining her ..actually..reminding her is more like it! Don't get discouraged..just walk her through and it won't take long at all.

My sister is a dog trainer.... the number one ..most successful training device is the use of a leash or tether in the house. Don't give her a chance. Plus it makes you more aware and can correct the behavior before it happens.

Last edited:
OP
Raspberryswirl
Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
So, put the leash on her and keep her by me, then? I'm not sure what you mean.

Sorry if I ask silly questions... I wasn't prepared to have to housetrain a 3 year old dog who was already (formerly) housetrained! LOL

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Ok! We have rescued many many full grown dawgs! I am experienced with this! I'll tell you what our vet told us. As they become comfortable and feeling at home, often they will revert to puppyhood behavior. They are reliving their lives and we have had them pee and start puppy chewing. We always made sure there wasn't a physical problem..UTI..Bladder infection,etc. if not..it's the same as above. You have to reeducate her and restart training ..back to basics and use the crate..retraining her ..actually..reminding her is more like it! Don't get discouraged..just walk her through and it won't take long at all.

My sister is a dog trainer.... the number one ..most successful training device is the use of a leash or tether in the house. Don't give her a chance. Plus it makes you more aware and can correct the behavior before it happens.

Great advice!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I also got a rescue who was 3 at the time...mainly because i didn't want all the work with a puppy....well i ended up with a 50lb puppy...i did the lease training hooked to my belt loop when i couldn't watch her like I should...took her out every half hour....it worked...that was in May and she's completely housebroken now...she goes and sits by the door and waits...it really didn't take that long...she still chews but is pretty good about only chewing on her stuff occasionally a kids toy...I do walk her twice a day which is when she get most of her potty out of the way...she is crate trained and sleeps in there when i'm not home and at night...time & patience and she'll be a great dog

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Lilly will do this. Hence why she is not allowed on the couch, on the bed, or even really upstairs. She also does not have a bed. She pees on everything but the floor. I feel bad that she doesn't have a dog bed (especially for Bruin) but we've tried several times to give them beds and she always eventually pees on them even after going outside.There have been beds where she's gone outside, pee'd, came in and went right to the bed and pee'd on it. We don't understand why she does it, the closest thing we can come up with is that she's marking it as hers. So, she's just not allowed on anything. That's the only thing that's prevented it. My bf thinks I'm crazy to keep buying beds, hoping that she won't ruin it, but she keeps proving him right :cursing: which is sooo not ok with me.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola does this to sometimes but for her it's more of a behavior thing when she is trying to test who is Alpha so I really can't add any advise but I hope she gets the hang of it soon!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
So, put the leash on her and keep her by me, then? I'm not sure what you mean.

Sorry if I ask silly questions... I wasn't prepared to have to housetrain a 3 year old dog who was already (formerly) housetrained! LOL

Never a silly question! Yes..have you ever housebroken a pup? You take them out all the time..congratulate her on going..lucky for you..since she is older...she can really hold it all day. But you have to think like she is a pup. So every couple hours you take her out..good girl..when she goes. In the house, you have a leash on her. She goes where you go if she isn't in her crate. The reasoning for this is simple. You become much more aware of her actions and realize the signs she is about to pee. IF you see anything looking like she is even thinking of peeing in the house, you immediately take her outside.

I know you weren't thinking you would have to housebreak her. And really ...she knows better. But she is relearning and it's very important you are consistent. I look at it as another way of bonding with them. She is feeling comfortable and slipping into a puppy mindset. It won't take long at all and if not on a tether to you...keep her in a crate. Slowly, lengthen the time between trips outdoors. Reevaluate her after a couple weeks..but DO NOT give her free roam of the house until you feel she has proven herself. Maybe after a couple weeks, let her off lead in one room..with very close supervision. If she reverts to peeing..she goes back on lead. If she doesn't..slowly expand her area, but always with you watching like a hawk. Don't get angry or frustrated with her..my vet says..it's a good sign. She is healing from the inside out. Before long this will be over.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I moved to the home I'm in now 4 years ago and my female Molly started peeing in the house and on my bed, furniture etc ... I had to make her completely stay off of all furniture until she became comfortable with her new home, it took her a few months to realize this was our new home and once she realized this was home she just stopped but I was doing reading and found out sometimes they get confused when moving into a new home and taking them back to basics is the best thing to do.

OP
Raspberryswirl
Sep 3, 2012
Lawrence, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Dent
So I'm keeping her next to me on her leash. At first she was kinda confused about it because she didn't have free roam of the house, but now she's just laying next to me quietly not bothering me or Jeff. It's also the first day she has not peed on something.

Last time she peed on the chair it was just before bed so I put her in her crate. She cried and barked all. night. long. but we didn't relent and she stayed in there through till the morning at the expense of our rest. :( Jeff was going to let her out but I thought it better that we were consistent and that if we let her out to stay on the bed with us not only were taking a chance she would pee on the bed but that we'd be teaching her that barking was her ticket out of her crate and into bed with us.

I haven't house trained a dog really before myself, but I don't mind doing it. From what you all say it seems you prob have the right of it, and it's worth a shot at the very least since we don't have too many other options. My last Bully was really lazy and quiet which is the opposite of Roxy who never seems to run out of energy!!! D:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: The crate crying is sooooo hard! I know it might seem silly...the whole leash thing...but it's not. It's for you too...you will probably see things you wouldn't have before. Little signals, smelling or rooting..anything that could lead to her peeing. Keep taking her out, reward her when she goes and you are right on being consistent.

One thing you might also try, if you don't already, is to use her crate during the day for an hour or two at a time. It gives you a break and her time to get used to her crate again. Does she have bedding in her crate? If she pees on it..remove all bedding. That's a common thing too! Good Luck!! Keep up the good work..one day without peeing is a day closer to breaking a baaaaad habit!

Of course, no sleep is not a good thing!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.