Too much attachment?

sherden24

Nov 15, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gumbo
We have had Gumbo for about 4 months. We have a shop that is on the side of the garage that is heated and cooled and we took 1/2 of it and made it "her" room. She has her food, water, bed, blankets and her own fan in her room. There is also a place to potty IF she has to (she rarely does). She really does seem to like it.

The thing is she stays in there all day while we are at work. My husband comes home at lunch and will try to get her to come out and she won't. She also won't come out at night unless I am at home. Matter of fact, she won't do anything pretty much unless I am there. With ANYONE. She loves to be with other people if I am there. If I am not, she mopes. My husband can go get her and try to get her inside and she will just stare at him and sigh. She sees me and she will almost run me down shaking her bootie because she is so happy. I am the one that bathes her, takes her outside, grooms her, cuddles with her, etc.... My husband gets kind of upset that she wont do anything for him because he also loves her. I always encourage her to go see him and she goes right up to him but she won't do it unless I am there. It just makes my schedule hard because it seems that i have to be at home at certain times and we live way away from the places that I have to sometimes be. She went 12 hours yesterday without pottying although he took her out 3 times!

Do you think this is just how she is? I am ALL about my baby. I baby talk her, I play on the floor with her, I cuddle her, I try to get her to cuddle with me rather but she is just not that kind of bullie. I don't know much about her history other than she seems scared of storms (well terrified), she was used for breeding and she likes to eat. Other than that, I don't know much more about her.

Any thoughts, suggestions, etc???

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
We're currently having a similiar problem. Blue is a mama's boy. But I know it's because I'm the one who's home all day with him.
So for the last week, when my hubby gets home, I go into the bedroom and leave them alone. Chris feeds him, and plays with him. By the time I come out, Blue's asleep on his lap. It seems to be working.

He's still a mama's boy, but doesn't look over at me everytime Chris reaches out to him. That's a huge improvement.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... welcome to the wonderful world of Bulldogs. They play favorites just like toddlers do....

Our girl, we've had since she was 11 weeks old EVERY DAY I come home and she must smell my hand to make sure it is me.... the b/f (Daddy) comes homes and she runs to him all wiggly and can't wait to get him on the floor to wrestle. I do all the feeding, walking, grooming, etc.... he gets all the attention, snuggles and love.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They can be very clingy at times and to just one person. Maybe in her other life she was abused by a male, so just give her time and have hubby keep giving her some love and maybe one day she will come around.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with above, have hubby do some extra special parts of her day like feeding and treats, she trusts you and is maybe unsure about him. It can change, just takes a little effort and time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agree w/everyone's advise and also sounds like she may not trust MEN.

Hubby needs to not take it personal (easy to do :) and to gently WOO her.

Have her fav treat or food on him EVERYTIME he comes home, speak very
softly & soothingly (his manly timbre of voice may scare her) and move slowly.
He should bath her, groom her, play w/her, etc as often as possible.

Poor love, she seems traumatized, probably she feels SAFE in her 'lil room
until you get home (why I say, your husband should mimic YOUR behavior, voice
& things that YOU do...use your endearments, etc). It might take awhile to see
results but slow, steady & patient will win her over. Bullies are so amazing and
can be so tenderhearted and therefore, easy to tramautize. But when these ones
start to open up, to trust you...oh my...to love you...it's almost more than you can
stand!

GOD bless y'all for giving sweet Gumbo a loving home. Give her time & patience,
you'll be amazed at who that bully is and how much she will love BOTH of you.

For storm fear, a tight shirt seems to help (they sell 'Thunder Shirts' too) and
there is a natural herbal help called Bach's Rescue Remedy that helps calm them.

Good luck and please keep us informed on this journey of love...one day at a time!
I will keep y'all in prayers, give Hubby a big hug for wanting her to love him so he
can lavish her with HIS love...precious man...love his heart!
:havemyheart::havemyheart::havemyheart::angelheart:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
If me and the wife get home at the same time Mila will run right past her to greet me. When it is time to lounge on the couch image.jpgshe spreads out on my wife's lap and goes to sleep. Why my pictures come out upside down I have no idea. Please stand on your head when viewing the picture. Btw this upside down picture was taken at the time of this post. Give your bully time she will develop an individual relationship with each of you. Of course treats help.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Just a quick suggestion.
We had a bit of this with Meeko he wouldnt listen to anything my partner said to him but the second i said something Meeko would do it. He seen me as pack leader and my partner as beneath him. Im with Meeko all day and night but my partner works nights and sleeps thru the day.

To solve the issue i stepped back whenever Jay was around (it took a while) and made Jay (my partner) feed him have play time with him do commands with treats everything. Also meeko wouldnt go for a walk with Jay because i was always the one to do it so i started off making Jay come with me then jay would hold the leash rather than me and give commands. Eventually Meeko respected Jays authority and he now listens and sees us both as pack leaders.

He still prefers to cwtch with me and gets more excited seeing me BUT he listens and will behave for Jay also. Good luck xx

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.