Thread: English Bulldog struggling with little kids

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tebbs
    Likes (Received)

Default English Bulldog struggling with little kids

Hello! my wife and I have had a English Bulldog for just over a year now! we got him when he was 5 weeks old and we spoil him rotten! hes very friendly with other dogs and other adults. HOWEVER, he is SOOO excited when he sees other people it sometimes makes them nervous, he's not aggressive at all, but just wants to play. This has become a big problem with little children, he normally knocks them down, makes them cry ect.
    Does anyone have the same problem? and if so any suggestions on how we can help? its almost like he wants to play but then he lunges at them quickly knocking them down..

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: English Bulldog struggling with little kids

Quote Originally Posted by stout101 View Post
    Hello! my wife and I have had a English Bulldog for just over a year now! we got him when he was 5 weeks old and we spoil him rotten! hes very friendly with other dogs and other adults. HOWEVER, he is SOOO excited when he sees other people it sometimes makes them nervous, he's not aggressive at all, but just wants to play. This has become a big problem with little children, he normally knocks them down, makes them cry ect.
    Does anyone have the same problem? and if so any suggestions on how we can help? its almost like he wants to play but then he lunges at them quickly knocking them down..

well he's not going to do this on his own, you must train him to restrain himself and sit. stay and lay
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bulldog(s) Names
    Tebbs
    Likes (Received)

He actually does a really good job with that, he always sits at our commands and stays. However, if little kids around hes so excited he starts whining and wont listen to our commands.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Try placing him on lead and training him not to lunge/jump with correction. i had to do this as part of Banks training when she was a pup.... always on leash/lead in the house when company was coming. She LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEESSSS kids and did exactly what you described.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads