Bullies and cats

heavyblankets

Jan 21, 2013
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
I'm bringing home my first bulldog puppy in 8 days and one big concern I have is introducing her to my cat. The cat, Ramona, has been my solo pet for four years, and I want to do everything I can to keep her comfortable and ensure that she and my bully will (at least eventually) get along. Does anyone have suggestions for introductions or other tactics for peaceful cohabitation of pets? :) Ramona is generally a very laid-back, lazy, easygoing cat so I'm hoping it won't be too bad.

I've built shelves that go up the wall for the cat to climb up on, so she'll always have a safe, high perch where she can escape the puppy's nagging. I'm also doing baby gates with small cat doors in them so when the pup is confined to certain spaces, the cat will still have the run of the apartment.

Just wondered what everyone's experiences were with bullies and cats!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I had just the opposite. I had my three boys for a couple of years before my oldest daughter moved back home with her 4 month old kitten. I put up a gate into the laundry room where Ninja (cat) could get to his food and litter and the bullies couldn't get into. Ninja would start to jump on top of the gate and within a few days he would be out and about with the boys. It's been a few months and they all get along great. Ninja thinks he's a dog and he and Remy are best buddies. Even Goldie, my foster, gets along with him. Sounds like you're doing it right keeping them separated for a while. Eventually they will be best buds

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
My Ellie desperately wants to play with our 2 cats and they want NONE of it. 1 of the cats won't give her the time of day and constantly swats at her while the other just kind of ignores her until she's had enough and over the baby gate she goes. I just don't see them ever getting along. But there haven't been any fights or injuries, so as long as that stays the case, we can live with it.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We had a cat, Stubbs, a Manx who taught 4 Billdogs how to treat a cat. Stubbs lived to 17 and after the dog training session was best friends with the dogs! She would even eat dogfood out of their bowls while they were eating!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
We had a cat, Stubbs, a Manx who taught 4 Billdogs how to treat a cat. Stubbs lived to 17 and after the dog training session was best friends with the dogs! She would even eat dogfood out of their bowls while they were eating!

Ninja does this too!!! Especially in the morning when I put yogurt on it so now he has to have his own little bowl of yogurt just like the bullies. He also will run to the top of the stairs (we live in a split level house) when someone rings the doorbell or walks in just like the bullies. You know how most cats will disappear when someone comes in the house that they do not know? Not Ninja, he is all over them wanting attention. I think the bullies taught him how to be a bulldog and now he doesn't know he's a cat

In fact, my avatar picture is one I took of the boys the first day Ninja was in the house and they were on the other side of the gate from the laundry room where Ninja was

Last edited:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mimi (RIP) liked to chase the local feral cat. When Mimi was still A puppy she would almost catch the cat. In her later years (10years old) she was slower as was the cat and would almost catch the cat. I was always wondering what she would do if she actually got ahold of the cat. One day she did get the cat with her jaws on her (the cat) back. The cat froze and, i think, Mimi figured she had won the game. I thought she was going to bite down. She killed a very large possum by breaking his back. She let the cat go unharmed. Who knows how many times they played that game when I wasn't around. It was probably a game the whole time. She was an outside dog during the day. I think the cat probably misses her. Your puppy should be fine with the cat. From what I understand cat first is easier. Cat will be king/Queen.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.