Worried parent

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
Today I had to go back to work after a week off with my new pup. I had left her in her pen for several hours during the week and she seemed to be fine but today she barked like I haven't heard all week. I know I am being a worried parent but I want to leave work and just go and play with her. :mellow:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
hi there, your puppy will learn to sleep when you are gone, but when you trained her in the crate, did you leave the house for those few hours or did you stay close by? she may need to know that her crate is the safe haven for her when you are out of the house, so you may have to let her out at lunch time to convince her that it is temporary until she loves it and goes in herself/doesnt need to be crated (after she's a year or so or whenever you decide if ever). you can also distract her with a kong with PB for the first 30 minutes or so, and make sure she's a tired pup so she will sleep with a belly full of PB

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
hi there, your puppy will learn to sleep when you are gone, but when you trained her in the crate, did you leave the house for those few hours or did you stay close by? she may need to know that her crate is the safe haven for her when you are out of the house, so you may have to let her out at lunch time to convince her that it is temporary until she loves it and goes in herself/doesnt need to be crated (after she's a year or so or whenever you decide if ever). you can also distract her with a kong with PB for the first 30 minutes or so, and make sure she's a tired pup so she will sleep with a belly full of PB

I started out small, just leaving the room for a few minutes then worked upto running errands and I watched the clock to make sure I was out a little longer each time. Each time I came back she was asleep in her crate (I am using a runner attached to the crate and she uses a litter box when I am away). I haven't put her in the crate and shut the door, she comes in and out of the crate into the pen/play area. She has plenty of toys to distract her while I'm gone. I usually take her out of the runner when I am home.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Kongs w/treats then freeze the whole thing provide lots of long time stimulation.

Leave the Tv on or radio w/soothing music, the great thing about bullies, they
love to sleep :) so once she's adjusted to her crate & learned it's HER safe place
she'll be fine. Sounds like she was voicing her displeasure!

Hang in there Mom...it will all work out just fine. GOD bless!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
If you are worried about her getting into trouble, you can get a puppy cam. We used one for Rudy and Mila. We used the Panasonic BC10. Not sure if that one is still available but I am sure they have an equivalent. Helped my wife with leaving them alone when they were puppies. You can see what they are doing using your smartphone or a computer from anywhere. And the builldog obsessed co-workers like to stop by and see them too.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
If you are worried about her getting into trouble, you can get a puppy cam. We used one for Rudy and Mila. We used the Panasonic BC10. Not sure if that one is still available but I am sure they have an equivalent. Helped my wife with leaving them alone when they were puppies. You can see what they are doing using your smartphone or a computer from anywhere. And the builldog obsessed co-workers like to stop by and see them too.

My friend has a ” dropcam” they are pretty cool I'm thinking about getting one too.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is 7 years old and Chelios is 2 yrs old...... I still want to leave work and go home to play with them

OP
xsubsailor

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
If you are worried about her getting into trouble, you can get a puppy cam. We used one for Rudy and Mila. We used the Panasonic BC10. You can see what they are doing using your smartphone or a computer from anywhere. And the builldog obsessed co-workers like to stop by and see them too.

Thats an interesting idea, but I would be on the cam all night and not get any work done. I'm not worried about her getting in trouble I just want to make sure she is alright. The last few nights have been ok and she is usually sleeping when I come home, but jumps up as soon as she hears me. The cam would be nice idea - hummmmm. :up:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Thats an interesting idea, but I would be on the cam all night and not get any work done. I'm not worried about her getting in trouble I just want to make sure she is alright. The last few nights have been ok and she is usually sleeping when I come home, but jumps up as soon as she hears me. The cam would be nice idea - hummmmm. :up:

Yes constantly looking at the puppy, via a webcam, can be distracting. Especially when you notice a hyper little puppy has moved his fenced enclosure almost out of view.

Members online

No members online now.