agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi i have always had staffordshire bull terriers so walking has never been a problem.
I was told never to walk my Ebd for more than 15 /20 mins- can anyone give advice on walking a 7 month.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
depends on the build of the dog how much stamina they'll have. Mine pack is good for around the block, 15 to 20 mins at a slow pace. In the heat, we never go for a walk. above 75 degrees we're not going for a walk as my bully's are low to the ground , short legged

hope this helps

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I wish I could give you advice but my 4 month old sometimes fails to even make it across the street on a walk! A lot of it will depend on the individual dog and the weather conditions. Some days Rumble will let me walk around a couple blocks with him but other times he sits on his butt and protests in our driveway. Gotta love bulldogs! :p

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
depends on the build of the dog how much stamina they'll have. Mine pack is good for around the block, 15 to 20 mins at a slow pace. In the heat, we never go for a walk. above 75 degrees we're not going for a walk as my bully's are low to the ground , short legged

hope this helps

75 degrees lol - it never stops raining here., even in summer :D

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I agree with [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] depends on the dog. I personally can walk my dog on a 1.5 mile trail. We do this about 3x a week because the weather has been so nice here. The warmest I think we have gone is around 78? But I watched him like a hawk.
That being said,
1) bulldogs can overheat easier than most dogs due to their squished face! Idk how to spell the correct word, starts with "brach.."? So many can not go longer than what you said, and you need to watch like a hawk for signs of overheating no matter the duration of the walk and give plenty of water.
And 2) my dog has got to be part Tasmanian devil or part crazy. He is one of the most hyper pups I have ever seen even worse than my lab! (though he is starting to calm down now) and has always been the dog that will play and walk until you literally separate him from the rest or take him away. His eyes can be closing, droopy, and you can tell he's done but he won't stop until you make him. He's got much more energy and stamina than many bullies that I have encountered.

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
We walk a mile everyday (unless it"s hot out) could take an hour. It is something we worked our way up to. I monitor his breathing & if he wants to sit for a moment, that's ok.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I agree with everyone about the heat and limiting walks. When it was cooler in the fall (needing a jacket and mitts) I took Winston (7 month then) for a 2 hour hike in the bush. We took regular breaks and stopped for a snack. He was pooped after but so excited to be outside in the bush. I think it depends on your pup, you will know when he is getting tired lol

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Right now we can only walk ours to the end of the driveway (short driveway) before she gets too tired and has to stop. We're hoping that her surgery Tuesday will help her go a little further so she can see a little more of the world. If it doesn't, we'll buy a wagon!

OP
jimmyjj

jimmyjj

Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Right now we can only walk ours to the end of the driveway (short driveway) before she gets too tired and has to stop. We're hoping that her surgery Tuesday will help her go a little further so she can see a little more of the world. If it doesn't, we'll buy a wagon!

Jesus, really sorry to here that! what's up with your baby

ccurran

Apr 17, 2012
Washington, D.C.
Bulldog(s) Names
Seamus
I take Seamus out for at least a mile every single evening and then on the weekends we try and go further. The furthest we have done is 3.5 miles out on a trail (he was on a leash the whole time though). We got him when it was July in DC so it was super hot outside. We would go walking around the block in the morning and evenings and I would monitor his breathing. As we worked up our walks I would take a water bottle with me and sometimes a bottle of lemon juice in case he got phlegm caught in his throat.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I started out by just walking down the street to the mail box when that became and easy walk we started to go to the stop sign and just slowly built their distance up to all the way around the block (our block is a long one) and that is enough for them, they are tired but not worn out. Summer for us can get really hot (around 115 degrees) so outdoor walks are only done in the winter, spring and fall for my babies, summer time they have to walk around in the pet stores so they are in air conditioning.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I can walk Gio and my Frenchie for 2 miles if the weather is 60 or lower. In the summer we walk about a mile in the evening, and even then if its too hot we will probably not go for a walk at all or a much shorter one. But my older bully doesn't want to walk past the driveway, so I just recently bought a stroller for her, that way I can push her up the street and she can walk home. I also now can include her on the longer walks with Gio and my Frenchie.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
We walk for about 15 minutes, but it usually includes off-leash play time with neighbor's dogs. We're lucky enough to live in a gated apartment complex, so it's nice to let them have playtime!

I think they can do longer, depending on weather, temperature, etc. Just watch for panting :) Once consistent panting starts, it's usually time to go home.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles and I walk a 2 mile circle through town everyday in the winter. Spring, summer and fall we either walk on a paved USFS road that follows a creek, go to Wallowa Lake, or another rural trail with a stream. We always go before the sun comes up over the mountains when it is warm, usually it is in the 50s. Ruggles is fairly athletic and an excellent breather!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.