puppy is making me want to pull my hair out!!!!!

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
Blue turned 11 weeks today. He's wee wee pad trained (for the most part), but when he first wakes up- OMG, he'll take 2 steps, plant his butt and just pee. Not sure how to break this horrible habit.
He's also teething and nothing, not nylabones, kongs, his stuffies or any toys will distract him from our fingers and toes when he's on a mission to bite. I have so many puncture wounds on me I look pathetic.

BUT- all of this will pass. They're puppies, that's really all it is. It takes time and patience. Hang in there. :hug:

Jsut wait for the puppy teeth to be gone, when his adult teeth are coming in he will still be chompy and mouthing, but his teeth wont be as sharp!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Is your baby's UTI all cleared up? if not, that will definitely be a contributing factor to the peeing. You got some very good advice above otherwise!

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I would try a metal grate for on the bottom of his crate so if he pees it doesn't get on his skin (It looks like an oven rack) I would also remove all blankets and towels out of his crate. Once he has urinated on them he may continue even after they have been laundered because of the scent he recognizes. Once he stops wetting in his crate you can put back the comfy blankets. These are tips from Olive's breeder and she had very few accidents in her crate. Hes very cute! Good Luck :D

OP
Silastheman

Silastheman

Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Silas
here he is...lol ...lil brat i call him

Attachments

• 20130206_011259.jpg
    20130206_011259.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 83

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
please don't restrict water to only meals....dogs need access to water...when i got jameson as a puppy my vet told me(and he has had bulldogs) to never limit his water...that is really dangerous for him/her

OP
Silastheman

Silastheman

Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Silas
thank you all for your advice!! I will just wait it out...he should eventually grow out of peeing in his crate...ughh cant wait:pray2:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=8058]Silastheman[/MENTION] as others have said DO NOT restrict water from that puppy. That's one reason he got the UTI in the first place. Your skin kid did not learn to use the toilet over night and your baby bully will not learn to potty train over night. It takes time for their body to grow and their bladders to grow and in time they will be able to hold it longer and they also will learn to go out side. Set up a pin, you can by a plastic play pin for dogs at Petsmart or Petco and put his crate in there and leave the door open so he can sleep in his crate and go outside the crate to pee and poop. You can use puppy pads (but they like to play and chew them up) or use news paper for him to go on. Once he gets a little older you can do away with the play pin and shut the door at night. What we do is put a towel down and if the pee on them we just hose them off and then wash them. Once he gets about 6 months of age he should be able to sleep all night without incident. They still have accidents every once in awhile, but that's just pups. Be patient and he will learn as he gets older. We have a 7 month old at home and she does pretty well most of the time but will still sometimes pee on her towel. They are pups and it happens. Just remember, they are babies, just like your 19 month old, it takes time for them to learn, so please be patient with him. All they want to do is please us and be loved and will give you years of unconditional love in return.

Plus, doggie doors are not a good idea for bullies, unless you are home all the time and can watch him all the time. They will go out to play and sun and can get too hot and may not come back inside and before you know it, you have a dead bully from heat stroke. It happens all the time, so be careful if you have one.

Last edited:
OP
Silastheman

Silastheman

Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Silas
@Silastheman as others have said DO NOT restrict water from that puppy. That's one reason he got the UTI in the first place. Your skin kid did not learn to use the toilet over night and your baby bully will not learn to potty train over night. It takes time for their body to grow and their bladders to grow and in time they will be able to hold it longer and they also will learn to go out side. Set up a pin, you can by a plastic play pin for dogs at Petsmart or Petco and put his crate in there and leave the door open so he can sleep in his crate and go outside the crate to pee and poop. You can use puppy pads (but they like to play and chew them up) or use news paper for him to go on. Once he gets a little older you can do away with the play pin and shut the door at night. What we do is put a towel down and if the pee on them we just hose them off and then wash them. Once he gets about 6 months of age he should be able to sleep all night without incident. They still have accidents every once in awhile, but that's just pups. Be patient and he will learn as he gets older. We have a 7 month old at home and she does pretty well most of the time but will still sometimes pee on her towel. They are pups and it happens. Just remember, they are babies, just like your 19 month old, it takes time for them to learn, so please be patient with him. All they want to do is please us and be loved and will give you years of unconditional love in return.

Plus, doggie doors are not a good idea for bullies, unless you are home all the time and can watch him all the time. They will go out to play and sun and can get too hot and may not come back inside and before you know it, you have a dead bully from heat stroke. It happens all the time, so be careful if you have one.

he came to me with the UTI and vet said it was from poor food quailty from breeder and I do not restrict water, I offer him water all the time, just not before bed and I dont leave it out all day, But anytime he wants it, he sits nxt to his bowl and I fill it otherwise he will pee every 5 minutes.

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
Barley was a tough one. I started sleeping next to his crate which is not in my bedroom. At first I listened to him and let him dictate when to he wanted to go out. He was training me. Then I moved back to my bed and started setting my alarm. I started with very short intervals. I was up every hour and a half. It was just like having a flipping baby. Then I set my alarm later by 30 minutes each week. It took awhile before he coukd get past four hours. Sleeping in late on the weekend? Forget about it. Once I got him sleeping through the night then we had to tackle the issue of peeing in the crate. It was painful. He got lots of baths. On the plus side barley has never had an issue with chewing. He loves his toys. He is potty trained, crate trained and part of the family. Would I do it again? Yup. He is snoring next to me on the couch right now as I type this. He is such a part of my family.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361423289314.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361423289314.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 75

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If you pick the water up that is restricting it, we keep water down for our pups and all our bullies 24/7. It does not prolong their potty training.

Kimo boyz mama

Mar 3, 2013
Los Gatos, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kimo and Ollie (brothers, 1 yr apart)
OH, I am a first time bulldog owner too...Kimo is 14 wks. SAME EXACT situation. I too have no idea what to do about his peeing in his crate. And I too let him out every 3 hrs at the most, sometimes 2 hrs...I'm thinking since the breeder had the pups sleeping on a comforter in a kid swimming pool thing in their room, he's learned to go on BEDS and BLANKETS...ugh...I have never had so much laundry, and I have 2 kids! LOL! My other dogs were so easy to crate/potty train...My solution so far this week is to take the blankets out and have nothing, so far it has been ok...but has peed as soon as he walks out the crate. NO!!! So...let's hope someone can help us!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.