difference in EB and OEB

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Just curious if anybody knows specific differences between EB and OEB. I know they dont have the breathing issues but what are other differences?
I found online the average EB is between 30-40cm in height and OEB is around 50cm +. Im starting to think Meeko might be OEB as he is 50cm tall and weighs 57lbs at nearly 8months old x

Just to add some recent pics for you.. When the flash is on it looks as if he has a smooth face with no wrinkles at all so theres a darker pic too so you can see that he has some wrinkles x

20130216_185140.jpg
20130216_185227.jpg
20130216_185458.jpg

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yes, Meeko could very well be an Olde English. But then he could be an EB mix, not necessary OEB.

You can kinda look at a bulldog and tell that he's an EB as opposed to on OEB. The EBs are short and wide. The OEB has a more square look. The OEBs have a slightly longer snout which is why they don't have the breathing issues of the EB. And, they don't have as much wrinkles. And the front legs are straight down from shoulders to the ground with the "elbows" pointing back. The EB "elbows" are turned out to the sides giving that exaggerated bow-legged look. The head and chest on an OEB is massive and his front legs are wider apart than the hind legs but the over-all look is well-proportioned to the rest of his body whereas the EB head and chest looks more forward-heavy. OEBs are much bigger than their EB counterparts and the OEB is also more athletic.

Now, in any case, the only way to know if your dog is pure EB or OEB is a pedigree. Without the pedigree you can't really tell whether he's an EB, OEB, or any other bulldog mix, so you can only guess at it. There are AKC EBs with a pedigree that don't quite meet the AKC standards and would look a bit more OEB than EB.

With my dogs, Bullie is non-AKC, Angus is, but Bullie looks more like the standard EB than Angus is. Angus has the massive chest but it's more balanced to his hind legs which allows him to swim whereas Bullie's chest is a lot more massive than the rest of her body that she can't get enough power in her legs to swim. Angus also is very athletic. He's a smaller dog than Bullie is (according to his parentage) and tolerates the heat of the car in Florida summer much better than Bullie.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Its helped a bit thanku. I met Meekos mum who was most certainly a short stocky EB. They said he was not registered due to a problem with Dads papers. I never met dad but they said he was very similar to mum bit more white and she was more brown. Now im begining to think mum is EB and dad was maybe OEB not EB which was reason for not being able to register? Being registered didnt bother me as he is a house pet not for show/neuter. Im just curious more than anything lol and because we wanted a shorter dog and Meeks has grown taller than expected x

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
I had the same question about Luca cause he has a long snout and seems kinda lanky instead of traditional stocky. The jury is still out on that one. A bulldog is a bulldog is a bulldog. Meeko looks great either way. :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agree w/all above answers, Meeko is 100% bully and so handsome!

He will start growing OUT at some point, his head filling out, his chest, etc

He will put on weight (muscle & heavier bone weight), all in all...a most
AWESOME BULLY.

When we get them as small puppies, they can finish out in unexpected
ways, as you are finding out! Why some people will choose older puppies
or even young adults. I just think Meeko is gonna be really great looking,
I love him!
:2thumbs:

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thanks all :2thumbs: hes changing so much at the moment its wierd.. I wish i could fastforward time to see the final result lol :-) he could be half bully half pig for all i care hes still my Meek Meek!! Im just curious more than anything x

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION] give it some time, Bacon went through a phase around the same age where his shape just changed and looked more like Meeko and then he started to fill out.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
[MENTION=6330]MeekosMummy[/MENTION] give it some time, Bacon went through a phase around the same age where his shape just changed and looked more like Meeko and then he started to fill out.

Im trying to give it time but im too impatient lol.. Not really the right sort of dog to get that takes 3yrs to fully grow if ur impatient is it :ROFL:

Im trying to figure out the straight or side elbow thing but i dont quite get what you mean lol .. So here i am with another pic asking for your help again :ashamed:
20130212_124709.jpg

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Im not sure either lol just trying to figure out if Meeks has the pointin back or pointing sideways elbows and straight/bow legged anatess said about.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I spoke with an OEB owner last summer and she explained the difference just like the others did in previous comments. We considered an OEB when we were thinking about getting a dog from a reputable breeder, because they tend to have fewer health issues. A hockey player who used to live with me when he played Juniors now has an OEB. She's a beautiful girl with absolutely no health problems. She's a bit bigger with fewer wrinkles, but still has a bully face.

Most Reactions