Introducing a new dog?

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
My EB is almost 11 months old and 55 lbs, and we live with my roommate and her dog (husky/sheltie mix) who is 1.5 years and only 20 lbs. They are the best of friends, never any problems between the 2, and they play very rough. Next year we are moving to a townhouse, and we thought it would be just us 2, but have decided on going with the bigger place with 3 bedrooms and adding one of our good friends who has a 1.5 year old yorkie that is only 4-6 lbs.

We want to introduce the dogs now and get them use to each other. My EB has never shown any signs of DA, or any aggression for that matter but will defend himself if needed or if he feels threatened. But he does play very very rough sometimes and can be jumpy and overwhelming. Anyone have any advice to make this meet and greet smoother?

We are moving in August so my bully will hopefully be calmed down by then, as he has already started to calm a bit surprisingly.
I know to have the correct energy, and even told our friend she shouldn't be there when they meet lmao. She is way over protective and we tried to introduce them months ago when Briley was still a crazy puppy, he was jumping on her to see the puppy, etc. (Briley is very good and gentle with older and smaller dogs btw) my friends energy was ALL wrong and completely scared her dog and he picked up her worrisome energy and was yapping, shaking, etc.
Also, my bully is neutered, my roommates dog is spayed, but our friends yorkie is not neutered and is not very socialized.

I know to be calm, introduce one at a time, leashes?, but am open to suggestions that have worked for you.
Also, what to do if my bully starts to be too rough or not back off if the yorkie gives a little warning? He can be very pushy sometimes but you all know how bully's can get! (Briley doesn't know what the warning is, he seems to think it means play more!) he's never met a dog THIS small. Smallest was maybe 10-15 lbs? But has done very good and gentle with old dogs and pays little attention to them.

Sorry for the long post! Hope it made sense!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I would say, first fill a can with 8-10 pennies tape top shut. Toss bully and yorkie into the back yard or other place away from all people. Watch closely through a window or whatever. There may be some pushy behavior but they Probably work it out on there own. If you see things getting out of hand toss the can in their direction separate them and try again in a little while. We used to babysit Hank, Mimi the wicked bitch of the west, would get overexcited and hank, the I think I am the dominant testosterone filled bulldog, would get a little too pushy. As soon as Hank's parents would leave, I would toss them out back and close the door. Without us to mess things up, they would figure it out. Usually figuring it out was Mimi rolling Hank on his back. After that, no problems. We didn't have or know about the can thing at the time but I would recommend having one available.
image.jpg
hank is the white and gray dog with the black collar.

Last edited:
OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I would say, first fill a can with 8-10 pennies tape top shut. Toss bully and yorkie into the back yard or other place away from all people. Watch closely through a window or whatever. There may be some pushy behavior built they will. Probably work it out on there own. If you see things getting out of hand toss the can in their direction separate them and try again in a little while. We used to babysit Hank, Mimi the wicked bitch of the west, would get overexcited and hank, the I think I am the dominant testosterone filled bulldog, would get a little too pushy. As soon as Hank's parents would leave, I would toss them out back and close the door. Without us to mess things up, they would figure it out. Usually figuring it out was Mimi rolling Hank on his back. After that, no problems. We didn't have or know about the can thing at the time but I would recommend having one available.
View attachment 37534
hank is the white and gray dog with the black collar.

Thank you, I may try something similar but don't want to be too out of reach seeing there is a 50 lb difference and don't want Briley to hurt the little guy on accident. And the can wont work, I used to use this as his discipline tool (which did work wonderfully) and one day I walked back in my apartment from taking the trash out to find a friend using it as a toy for my dog. He hasn't been afraid/obeyed it since then unfortunately.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Thank you, I may try something similar but don't want to be too out of reach seeing there is a 50 lb difference and don't want Briley to hurt the little guy on accident. And the can wont work, I used to use this as his discipline tool (which did work wonderfully) and one day I walked back in my apartment from taking the trash out to find a friend using it as a toy for my dog. He hasn't been afraid/obeyed it since then unfortunately.

too funny,using the can as a play toy. We figured out Mila was deaf by using the can. She would climb into The dishwasher and I would toss the can. Absolutely no effect other Than it would catch her eye as it rolled by. She would then attack it like it was a toy. Poor can never had a chance.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
ahh, I dont think I'd toss them in the yard and let them work it out. I would find a Neutral Site, and introduce them. You dont want the Yorkie on the EB's territory or vice versa.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] should I do neutral ground even tho my EB greets everyone as if its their territory? lol. He greets everything that comes in, dogs and humans, the same where ever we go. Once a dog came in to our home and attacked him, and he backed down... (Granted, this was before he learned he could defend himself and put another dog in their place)

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Yea I would highly recommend neutral ground as well, we found that little dogs do NOT like Bacon at all. He is perfectly fine with them but our friends have a poodle that has gone after Bacon totally unprovoked on more then one occasion, same thing with my Aunts to Bigopoo's.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Yes definitely neutral area, maybe a parking lot some where, or an outdoor park (non dog park) just some where, that they can meet and you can see their reactions, and then spend some time with each other over the next few months etc.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Yes definitely do a neutral area for the meet and great. And then what I did when we were introducing Princess(newest dog) to Gio and Diva, when we got back to the house we went to the backyard and let the newer dog explore alone for a few minutes. Then we brought both Gio and Diva in the yard (all on a leash) and let them sniff each other then. Then when we felt comfortable with them we let them off the leash. When it was time to go in the house we once again let Princess in the house first to explore a bit then we let the other two in. And then from their we pretty much just kept an eye on them. And baby gates are great for a few weeks so they can get used to each other (seeing and smelling) but not always being together.

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Thanks everyone for your advice! And I as well have noticed little dogs don't like Briley, and even bigger dogs. I think it's a bulldog thing because they're always up in everyone's business! Lmao. I will introduce them in parking lot on leash of corse. And then what does everyone think about taking all the dogs on a walk together? I know I have heard that it unites the pack (Cesar Milan). My good friend had a dog that HATES my EB. Attacks him unprovoked, breaks skin, even try's to go through the kennel at Briley, etc. We were desperate and took them on a walk together and it was like they never fought. Idk if that was a good idea, I didn't have this site when that happened! What do you all think?
Btw the above scenario happened before Briley knew he could defend himself and since then has defended himself and put the dog in his place, and the dog hasn't tried it again.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks everyone for your advice! And I as well have noticed little dogs don't like Briley, and even bigger dogs. I think it's a bulldog thing because they're always up in everyone's business! Lmao. I will introduce them in parking lot on leash of corse. And then what does everyone think about taking all the dogs on a walk together? I know I have heard that it unites the pack (Cesar Milan). My good friend had a dog that HATES my EB. Attacks him unprovoked, breaks skin, even try's to go through the kennel at Briley, etc. We were desperate and took them on a walk together and it was like they never fought. Idk if that was a good idea, I didn't have this site when that happened! What do you all think?
Btw the above scenario happened before Briley knew he could defend himself and since then has defended himself and put the dog in his place, and the dog hasn't tried it again.

A walk together is a great idea.... just be sure to keep dogs next to or behind you, they should not walk out in front of you.

GOOD luck

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Briley always walks by my side, not sure how the other dog does. Should one person be holding both leashes? Or separate?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd like to add that everyone take their individual dogs for a nice long walk BEFORE the neutral zone meet up and stroll together. Maybe that will help counter balance the humans' excited energies at the actual meet up...?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama Briley always walks by my side, not sure how the other dog does. Should one person be holding both leashes? Or separate?

definitely separate and try to make it where it is dog/human/dog/human....

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
I'd like to add that everyone take their individual dogs for a nice long walk BEFORE the neutral zone meet up and stroll together. Maybe that will help counter balance the humans' excited energies at the actual meet up...?

Yeah, that's a good idea. I will have to do that with my EB cause he's realllllly hyper and excited, which is what causes my friends nervous energy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online