Coughing up foamy phlegm/bile?

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Luca was having a blast at the dog park today running around and being obnoxious and getting some good exercise. After 15 minutes I running around he starts coughing a bit. Eventually he coughed up a big nasty, foaming, gross phlegm ball. This happens a lot at puppy class as well. Basically any time he's running around. Does this ever happen to anyone else here?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I looked up some causes of vomiting foamy phlegm and bile, and this is what I found for you:

Most of the time it is nothing to worry about, but it never hurts to get a second opinion or to ask your vet, if this becomes chronic or happens often.

SOME OF THE CAUSES ARE:

Regurgitation, it could be something he's swallowed or eaten coming back up.

Ingesting something toxic, or an obstruction somewhere

Bloating, swelling of the stomach

Bile in his stomach from having an empty stomach too long, this causes digestive acids and bike to accumulate in the stomach . When there is no food to digest, these liquids irritate the stomach lining causing reflux, which causes vomit with a yellowish bile. This usually happens first thing in the morning when they have an empty stomach.

An allergic reaction to something in his food

From eating grass, it is not uncommon for dogs to do this, as it makes them vomit. It is a defence mechanism should they feel they have eaten something bad.

It can be caused by over exercise, or eating too fast

Digestive tract problems, causes white foam vomit, and can be fixed by a change in food.

Obstruction , gastritis, ingestion of non food items, or eating too fast

DIFFERENT COLOURS OF BILE:

Yellow Bile: excess bile on the stomach, or eating grass

White Foam: eating garbage, spoiled food, or foreign substances, which can indicate an obstruction

WHEN IS VOMITING A SERIOUS PROBLEM:

Vomiiting more than once a day, or continuing on the next day.

Projectile vomiting

Vomit with blood

Diarreha

Legarthy

Vomiting despite not eating for several hours

Obstruction, gastritis

TREATMENT:

The best course of action is to keep your dog warm, hydrated, and comfortable, and to call your vet. There aren't many major problems that come from vomiting stomach bile, but it will soften their throat over time, and if your dog does vomit a lot, it could lead to burning of the esophagus. The usual cause of vomiting is some sort of intolerance in food, but if in doubt make an appointment to see your vet.

I hope this helps you, and it's nothing serious.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I've seen this happen at many bulldog shows. Some bulldogs will do this while others will never do this. It's a common thing to happen when they are over heated. Walking around the ring and things like exercise. It's good to carry a squirt bottle of water with you or in case of choking, a squeezable plastic lemon, (just a squirt will break up the slimy phlegm)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I've seen this happen at many bulldog shows. Some bulldogs will do this while others will never do this. It's a common thing to happen when they are over heated. Walking around the ring and things like exercise. It's good to carry a squirt bottle of water with you or in case of choking, a squeezable plastic lemon, (just a squirt will break up the slimy phlegm)

Yes. I would have said a mix of over-excitement and over-heating. I agree with the water bottle and the lemon!! :yes:

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Thank you all so much!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] and [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] hit it on the nose. The hotter it gets, I wouldn't take your baby out and run outside for very long as they can die from heat stroke very fast.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The gang has you covered.... less activity when the temp is up there

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
Yap @Sherry and @kazzy220 hit it on the nose. The hotter it gets, I wouldn't take your baby out and run outside for very long as they can die from heat stroke very fast.

We live in New York. It was 38 degrees today at the dog run ;)

Most Reactions