Bringing home baby

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Ok, so, I just have to let my excitement and everything out.
IM GETTING MY FIRST BULLDOG PUPPY.
Sorry, like I said I am extreamy happy. I have been talking to a Bull dog breeder for a while, and she has a puppy, ok, realisticly a couple, puppies I just adore. One was thought to be sold, so I was going to go for the pink little girl, but now the yellow girl is up for sale again. So I just have to make my choice, and put down my deposit. I am so nervouse. I havent had a puppy in about 3 years, and never a Bully pup. Im excited, and nervous, and, and, and. Yeah lol Wow. My mind is jumping all over the place. I was looking at getting a pup, but didnt want to raise my hopes in case something didnt work out, but so far everything is falling into place so perfectly, like it's ment to be.
So, Im wondering what do I need to bring on the road trip to bring my baby home in about 4 weeks? Im assuming a crate, blanky, towels, harness, and lead, Water and water bowl.....Anything else Im missing?
I am so excited lol

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
This is from a thread I started right before bringing my pup home:

1. 36ā€ Crate, Doggie gate, old towels and blanket for crate, doggie bed for the living room.
2. A ton of Kong and Nylabone toys and a few stuffed animals.
3. A collar and leash (forgot the doggie tags but getting those tomorrow).
4. Brush
5. Ordered NuVet because apparently my breeder does use it.
6. Ordered the food heā€™s on and should get it next week. Sheā€™s giving me a 10lb bag when I pick him up.
7. Snout Soother, Witch Hazel Pads and a 16 oz bottle, Mal-a-Ket wipes and DermaPet Malacetic Otic AP - 16 oz, Cotton balls, Desitin Diaper Rash ointment, Neosporin, Lemon juice.

Lol, yeah- huge list. But I wanted to make sure I had everything. The truth is, I've used most of the items listed. Bullies require a lot of care, but they're so worth it :luv:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Wow, [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] provided you with a huge list. I will only add the caution not to take a potty break at a much used rest stop. You don't want to put your baby down on ground frequently used by other dogs until she has had all of her shots--in about 4 + months!

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys =)
It's going to be about 3 1/2 hour car ride for her. Im not sure what size harness to get her, so I was thinking of maybe meeting the breeder at a petsmart, so I can fit her with one there. I won't let her down so she dosent get sick. Should I bring toys on the road trip? A bone perhaps? lol
Like I said my mind is going about 90 miles a minute trying to figure it all out lol
Today I have to go home and do some furniture rearanging to fit a crate in my living room lol
Oh so excitd lol

jbm45

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
martini
I normally would never post but one part of your post caught my eye. Have you been to the breeders to see the dogs? If not walk away. I got suckered into a "breeder" that was 3+ hours away from my house and I never went even though I was willing to make the drive since the "breeder" always had an excuse on why I couldn't come. The to make my drive "easier" she said she'd meet me so I could save on the driving time. In the end it was a puppy mill that I paid a lot of money too and after having issues with my dog (not current dog) she got very mean with me and my wife. After research she had been sued over similar problems.

Good luck but be careful. Not all people love bullies as much as true bully owners. They just look at the money end of it not the dog itself

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
congratulations!!!! can't wait to see pictures :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
How old is this puppy? Be careful in petsmart if the puppy doesn't have all its shots because they can catch parvo and taking her into a pet store where lots of dogs get to walk around and you don't know if they have their shots or not or if they are carrying parvo, it is a risk. Going through this myself so Im not taking her anywhere!

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
Congratulations on your soon to be puppy! Let us know when you choose; pink or yellow!

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
jbm45 The first thing she did was invite me to come meet her dogs and her family. I have talked to some people who have added one of her pups to there family and all say good things about them. I understand your worries though. Many years back I got male Yorkie from some one farther away, When I got to her house neither the mother, father, or any of the pups were there, she sent her sone to go get the pup from a friends house, tried to add a sales tax, which she not once mentioned in all the times we had talked. I wouldnt have minded if she had been up front with me, the many numerous times I had confermed with her the amount.
I don't plan on puting her down on the floor or even in the cart at petsmart, I just want to get a harness that fits lol I know she is going to grow fast. Any specific kinds work best?
I also have another question, everyone keeps saying to get a 36' crate. Im curiouse if thats hight, length, ot width lol

jbm45

Feb 18, 2013
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
martini
Good to know. I wouldn't want anyone to go through what we went through.

I think our cage is about 36x24x27 I think. Our bulky loves it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN and best of luck with your new baby!

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
Thanks guys =)
And thank you jbm45. I was only 15 when I did that, so at the time I really had no clue what a puppy mill was. I found the litter advitised in the newspaper, and called. I now know better.
Oh, and I picked the yellow one lol I am so excited lol

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Congrats on your new puppy. I was surprised how easy the road trips were when I got Wilson and then Emma. We drove 5 hours one way for Wilson and then 14 hours one way for Emma and drove straight back with her. I found that a small doggie bed really help because I was able to put that on my lap and she could sleep and sit in it. We brought a crate but never ended up using it. Bring a light weigh blanket too to keep them snuggly warm if needed.

36" for a crate would be width/length. Make sure you can an open crate and not one of those plastic ones with closed in sides. Bullies tend to get warm easily and those aren't great for air circulation.

OP
PsychoPixie

PsychoPixie

Feb 16, 2013
U.P of MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Eloise M.Wigglebottom
My boyfriend will be driving. We have to go through some bigger cities and city driving scares the poo outta me lol
Me and him went to a local petshop today and were checking out the crates and such. I was thinking 36' tall and was like what.... Why.... Wow lol And I was looking at the wire ones. I don't think I have to worry about my girl over heating in my apartment. It stays pretty cool in here. I live almost underground. My building is an old house, with the down stairs set in a hill, and that's where mine is. Last summer I had to use a space heater some nights lol
is it better to have her on my lap or keep her in the back seat? That's where we make Kira our toy poodle sit while we're driving. So I was wondering if I should start her right off on that.
Its been a while since I've had a puppy, and never a bully breed lol my sister has bullterriers that's as much bully exsperiance as I have lol

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.