Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have one unhappy little foster dog right now ... poor Rita!! Her stitches starting to itch and she has invented new ways to make it stop, I just caught her rubbing her belly with her front paw because the cone prevents her from being able to lick, so I was confused why her tongue was going non-stop so I leaned forward and noticed her paw rubbing her belly :lol: I guess that's another way to do it! She will sit on the dog bed and rock back and forth because the stitches on her butt are driving her crazy too ... and of course the stitches on her eyes, for those she rubs her face on the bed too! She stepped on the the edge of the soft cone and tripped, she actually fell, so now she is limping so I'm making her really take it easy, she isn't suppose to move around a lot anyways but I'm being completely strict now, she can get up to go potty and take a drink of water but for all other times she is to lay on the bed and rest ... which she is giving me the droopy eyes when everyone else gets to play and run around outside. She gets her stitches out on the 19th so I am hoping that she will be allowed to go outside and be a normal dog again after that is done ... keeping fingers crossed!! Although I think that is when my real work will begin :eek: she and Molly have already had a few minor issues and last night had what I would consider in human terms a "shoving match" it was easily corrected, no harm no foul but makes me realize it's going to take a bit of work to bring her in as a member of the pack, for those that have fostered, any tips? I can say that having regular meals everyday has made an small improvement in how skinny she is ... I can tell she has already put on some weight just in the short time I've had her, amazing how regular food can do that! I'm glad Rita is here and getting healthier with each passing day and though I know it won't be all gum drops and lollipops I am looking forward to watching her bloom into a happy healthy bulldog!!!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would be going nuts too! Poor girl! Glad they come out soon!

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Poor rita your doing such an amazing thing. Hopefully she will settle down a bit when her stitches are out and cone is off. Cant she have anything to help with the itching? Any creams to cool/soothe the area?

I have no advice im a beginner compared to everybody elses knowledge on here but im hoping for u that Molly is just frightened/intimidated by the cone and they may get along better when they can sniff and greet properly. Fingers crosses. Keep up the good work your an inspiration xxxxx

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
All I can say is that to make sure she is part of the pack then you have to make sure she knows her "place".

As humans it is perfectly natural for you to want to mother her and treat her as your little baby .. because she has been through so much in such a short time. But she will see your sympathy, and your caring as a weak alpha leader if you let her. There is a very fine line between sympathy and weakness in their eyes, so tread carefully.

Unfortunately, in the awful state she was in and in the life she has lead you have no way of knowing what her true character is. As she feels better, and becomes more confident that personality will show.

All I can say is just to make sure you are "in charge" and that she knows it from the very beginning ... and also know that there is always a honeymoon period and after that you will get to start seeing the real Rita. It is going to be a beautiful thing, and you can help to shape the way she interacts with the world from now on.

:yes: :up:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
poor girl.... it will be over soon! GOOD luck with everything

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
All I can say is that to make sure she is part of the pack then you have to make sure she knows her "place".

As humans it is perfectly natural for you to want to mother her and treat her as your little baby .. because she has been through so much in such a short time. But she will see your sympathy, and your caring as a weak alpha leader if you let her. There is a very fine line between sympathy and weakness in their eyes, so tread carefully.

Unfortunately, in the awful state she was in and in the life she has lead you have no way of knowing what her true character is. As she feels better, and becomes more confident that personality will show.

All I can say is just to make sure you are "in charge" and that she knows it from the very beginning ... and also know that there is always a honeymoon period and after that you will get to start seeing the real Rita. It is going to be a beautiful thing, and you can help to shape the way she interacts with the world from now on.

:yes: :up:

Great advice, thank you!! I am a Cesar Milan follower so I knew from the moment I picked her up I had to treat her like nothing happened and not baby her ... so she has had to follow house rules, boundaries and limitations from the moment she followed me into our home, if she gets out of line she gets corrected just like the other 3. When she is healed up enough to be able to walk we will go on pack walks together and I know that will help also. Ally our Lab has seriously weak energy and every foster I have brought into the house has targeted her energy and Rita is no different but I try to body block when Rita approaches her in a manner I don't agree with so that she understands Ally belongs to me and I protect her ... just 10 minutes ago actually ... I had to do that and Rita instantly backs off, lowers her head with respect/submission to me and gives Ally space but I think it will just be consistency to prove it is every single time no exceptions to that rule.

but I am definitely up to the challenge :) I'm Queen B in this house :lol:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hooray for the Queen B! :clap2:

Is there any medication that can be given for the itching? That's a lot for anyone to deal with! Human or beast!

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I have complete and total confidence in you! You have done many amazing things with Bullies. You have a soft compassionate heart and a strong confident energy. There is no better combo for a leader. There is no way there will not be some bumps in the road. Poor Rita has suffered untold things we can only imagine. But she will learn to be calm, discover she does not have to protect herself so desperately and put her trust in you. What a gift for Rita to be able to "just be a Bulldog" with a strong assertive pack leader who will take care of her and make all the bad things go away. And then help arrange a fur-ever home with fur-ever love and a place of comfort.

It can't be fun with all those stitches. :nope:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my that is alot for one dog to handle poor thing. i will pray for continued inprovement and for a smooth transition into the pack. im having issues with my pack also now and mama lost her mojo but i will get it back. you will be fine and im sure rita will be good as new soon. i would think they could give something for the itching.

OP
bulldogs4me

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have my nails done (ya know long and fake :lol:) so when I notice she is trying to itch I will pull her over and gently scratch for her making sure to just touch the edges and not the incision and she just crumbles into a pile of fur with her eyes rolled back ... it has been helping because she doesn't rock as much if I just help her a little.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.