New Couch

LRCarpenter

Feb 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball, Pork chop and Biscuit
Good morning, We have a leather sectional and need a new couch, partially due to normal wear and tear and partially from the doggies, they have dug up the middle cushion such that the cloth from the back is fully exposed! Does anyone have a good suggestion as to the most durable type of couch to get for a family with three bull dogs that like to come up on the couch??
:eek:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Wood? Or Steel? Lol. I also have leather couch and love seat, and I find leather to,be the most durable for me, but my 2 don't dig, chew, or scratch the furniture. They will just lay with us, sometimes I place a folded quilt or blanket on the area where they are laying. I find leather to be the most durable and the easiest to clean. I have a 5 year old Grandson who I look after about 45 hours a week, and he has spilled milk, food, and touched with sticky fingers, and I don't eve r have to,stress about it, I just wipe it with a damp cloth. The dogs get dog hair all over the furniture, and with leather it just wipes off, or I use a Swiffer and it comes right off. If you have material, the hairs will stick to the fabric, and I find with the bullies, they have short hair, and it tends to weave itself into the fabric. I find that happens in the car, the hair gets all over the seats, and it's very difficult to get out of the material. Leather is also thicker and stands up to more wear and tear over time.

OP
L

LRCarpenter

Feb 16, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball, Pork chop and Biscuit
Thanks, I was thinking of microfiber but I agree that the hairs will show more and I think they might cut it with their nails. Your dogs are adorable. I am very new to this and will have to get some pics up soon! thanks for responding.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We have microfiber and while I like that it cleans it does get wet and show hair and drool and has to be cleaned up often. We only have one princess and cover most of it where she sits and chews on her toys the most. We used to cover the whole thing with sheets, but that was a real hassle keeping them in place quite right (more my OCD issue that it looked ugly than a real problem)

I think most will agree leather is best, but you do have to keep nails trimmed and it obviously hasn't worked for you since it seems you have a "digger".

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
No MICRO FIBER ever again. Next couch will be a leather / pleather thing.... My micro has died and there is no bring it back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
All I know is what everyone says.mine are fabric and I HATE them. I want leather, someday. Maybe even with a cover of some sort that can be washed but this way they can just be wiped clean. Getting hair off my couches is almost pointless in trying. Horrible!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Im the odd man( or girl) out here. I went with microfiber for my new couches. I went in with every intention of getting leather but ended with microfiber. I tried every leather couch on the planet but couldnt find one i thought i could lay on and be comfy. I love my new couches. They clean soooo easily i keep a blanket on a part for the dogs but id do that with leather also. I figure if i ever get a bigger place ill get leather for my more formal area.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I have to agree with leather for a sofa. I recently got one myself...the kind that looks more "distressed" with age and wear, so it's pawfect for my two rascals :) Tate just threw up his dinner on it last night and it was so easy to wipe it clean.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I have leather but i dont like leather to sit on and relax i just dont feel cosey and snuggly on leather... But with 3 bully's i think leather may be best.

Just a suggestion... You could get a 'doggy blanket' and teach your babies theyr only allowed up when the blankets spread out on the couch to keep it in good condition? I used to do this with my Alsation when we had a fabric sofa.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would totally agree that leather is the way to go . I have two big leather couches in the great room and I love them .. but in the family room we have fabric. The hubby hates leather ......... says he sticks to it in the summer ... which is BS .... so we're stuck with fabric and it's HELL!!! :no:

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
I would totally agree that leather is the way to go . I have two big leather couches in the great room and I love them .. but in the family room we have fabric. The hubby hates leather ......... says he sticks to it in the summer ... which is BS .... so we're stuck with fabric and it's HELL!!! :no:

I am with ur husband i stick to the leather. I was soooo determined to get a distressed leather couch but couldnt get comfy on it at all .

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am with ur husband i stick to the leather. I was soooo determined to get a distressed leather couch but couldnt get comfy on it at all .

:secret: .... gonna make sure the hubby doesn't see this post ...... :whistle:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I have leather as well, it's easy to clean and the dogs seem to love it :lol:

Most Reactions