For those of you that have to have Anal Glands done..??

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas averages about every 5-7 weeks of needing to go to the vet to get his anal glands expressed he lets me know by scooting across the rug. I took him 3 weeks ago, and even the vet said it was a "2-glover" LOL (really not funny). The last two days he has been scooting all across my area rug..and then....licking the spot where he rubbed!!! :barf::barf:. I cleaned his small tail pocket extra good last night and really got nothing from it. Is it possible that they can fill up this fast again? AND what up with the licking of the spot?? He has never done that before!! Going to call the vet in the morning and get him in again. This has never happened this fast and never has he licked it up :barf:. Any ideas??

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well they have 2 glands,couldbe one is filled the other may not be yet. Mugsy went to the vet for his cut eyelid and since we were there I figured we better have his done since his fill the fastes. It had been maybe 3 weeks as well and the tech said 1 was full, the other was empty. I am guessing one being full could leak when rubbing on the carpet.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Kelly, that is quite common for them to lick the area where they released. Jack has done this and Wilson, well he's just a nasty dog and he'll do any clean up he can. Each gland from my experience can fill up more or less than the other and some will release better than the other. That's the case with Jack. He's glands are set back further so they don't release properly when he has a poop. I just did Jack's 2 weeks ago and Monday night I think it was he was trying to lick his bum. I smelled the stinky fishy the night before so off we went to the garage to check his glands again. Only 1 was full this time and that's the one that I got to release. It popped like a zit and spewed all over the running board of my car. Nice!!!! I did his externally this last night. You can apply firm pressure on each side of the gland from the outside (if you press there you'll feel them) and just squeeze applying a steady pressure (like milking a cow) on each side. Don't forget to keep a paper towel over the bum hole too or you'll be in for a rude awakening, lol.

It's normal though for them to clean it up, as gross as it is.

And of coruse, here's my favorite article. :2thumbs: Anal Gland Care - Everything You Need to Know

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I thought it was blocked anal glands with Miss Tallulah ( that awful smell and she would whimper and scoot her bum). the problem was getting more and more frequent but the groomers could never find anything. Then I would take her to the vet and he would say there is nothing so eventually after a few times he decided to do an in depth investigation digitally internally and that is when he said it was her tail pocket and that though I kept it very clean it was digging into her in one spot and he only could tell when her did that internal exam. He recommended removing the tail and I cried and cried and then we did it. He brought the little tail out to me after surgery and showed me the kink and how painful it must have been. And how it would hold the fluid from the anal glands and smell even though I cleaned under the tail. I am not saying that there is any problem with the tail pocket but a good internal check next time you are there to make sure there is nothing more going on is always reassuring. Now she still gets anal gland stuff leaking out once in awhile when we are watching TV and she licks it until I drag the sofa blanket away. What a gross smell!!! And she is right into it. :barf: UGH but there is no scooting and no whimpering.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]

Kelly, while at the vet today (we had all three of them there for their annuals) I asked Dr. Geiselhart about Jack's anal glands and told him that I do his about every 5 weeks. He said that was about the normal time frame. Then I said sometimes I'll do Jack's and then a week or so later, sometimes sooner, he'll get that smell again and I have to do them again. He said that's quite normal and that some dogs need there's done every other day and that sometimes they don't get expressed fully. It just depends on where their anal glands are positioned as to how much they will express themselves or not express. As long as it's fluid it's healthy.

So Vegas needing his done so soon again is normal. Just thought you'd like to know I was thinking about you and Vegas's bum today. :laugh:

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
OK so here is a question.... is it normal to NEVER have these expressed?

I've had Otis for a year. Never once has his butt been squeezed. Neither was Abbys. Roxy is 17 (with us for 16) and never her either.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], well thanks for thinking of Vegas's bum. :2thumbs: Lol. Kind of ironic you posted this, about an hour ago I seen the scooting going on. He has an appt. for this friday at our vets so guess we will throw in yet another expression. It is just fluid, EXCEPT for when he was around 2 our old vet that retired also retrieved a tiny rock :eek:

egghunt2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OK so here is a question.... is it normal to NEVER have these expressed?

I've had Otis for a year. Never once has his butt been squeezed. Neither was Abbys. Roxy is 17 (with us for 16) and never her either.

It's ideal to never have to be able to express them. All that means is that their glands are in proper alignment so that when they have a movement the glands get expressed properly when the movement is passing by them. ;)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], well thanks for thinking of Vegas's bum. :2thumbs: Lol. Kind of ironic you posted this, about an hour ago I seen the scooting going on. He has an appt. for this friday at our vets so guess we will throw in yet another expression. It is just fluid, EXCEPT for when he was around 2 our old vet that retired also retrieved a tiny rock :eek:

What timing then. Just know if you're very in a stinky situation, I'm here to help you do it yourself. :tease: A rock huh? :eek:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
It's ideal to never have to be able to express them. All that means is that their glands are in proper alignment so that when they have a movement the glands get expressed properly when the movement is passing by them. ;)

So there is something NORMAL about Otis? :eek:

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
What timing then. Just know if you're very in a stinky situation, I'm here to help you do it yourself. :tease: A rock huh? :eek:

it was a tiny, tiny little stone, but our old vet dug and dug until he finally got it out, Vegas's bled a little after that. Thanks for the offer but NO, I just CANT!!! :barf:, if only you lived closer, I would gladly pay you, you'd make a fourtune off me as often as I have been going at $17 per expression :cursing:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online