|:. FRUSTRATED .:| 11mo Bulldog scared to walk outside near traffic!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Tell me more -- My girlfriend no longer walks him on the street, but she walks him in the park with NO PROBLEMS. As I work all day and she's home because she works nights, she is the only one who can get him out and exercise him. You think it's a problem that she's walking him in the park also?

!

No it is fine for her to walk him in the park if there are no issues there.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Brembo's situation is akin to every episode of Dog Whisperer that I've ever seen where a single event has led to a lifetime of fearfulness. In every single situation though, the corrective action has been the same; experiencing the scary thing, seeing nothing bad will happen, and getting through it. I would imagine that your girlfriend may be part of the problem. This thing happened on her watch and she's sharing fearful energy -- which only trigger's Brembo's fears. If his human pack leader is anxious, there must be a reason to be afraid, right?

Bea and Bo began to develop an unreasonable fear to the back hatch door of my Ford Explorer shutting. They didn't want to go "bye bye" because of it and getting them into the SUV was starting to become such a hassle that I didn't want to deal with it. BUT I HAD TO. That's the way we get to fun places! The "process" to getting into the truck is always exactly the same (so they know what to expect) and I noticed points where both Bea and Bo were getting "stuck" in this process. The only way out is through so patience (from me) and my calmest most assertive self was absolutely required. Humans tend to be in a hurry for everything. Deal with his unreasonable fear only when you have the time to do so. Rehabilitating fear cannot be rushed. There is still a certain point where Bea gets "stuck" but I don't hurry and we get through it and (hopefully) it's better the next time.

Brembo has had a really cool life so far --- classes and lots of unusual experiences! He is well on his way to being that Service Dog you want and he will enjoy being. And remember, he's 11 months old --- he's a "kid". Be his unwavering, solid and confident pack leader and he will follow you through ANYTHING, I promise!!!

OP
ajwhitt44

ajwhitt44

May 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
BREMBO
Brembo's situation is akin to every episode of Dog Whisperer that I've ever seen where a single event has led to a lifetime of fearfulness. In every single situation though, the corrective action has been the same; experiencing the scary thing, seeing nothing bad will happen, and getting through it. I would imagine that your girlfriend may be part of the problem. This thing happened on her watch and she's sharing fearful energy -- which only trigger's Brembo's fears. If his human pack leader is anxious, there must be a reason to be afraid, right?

Bea and Bo began to develop an unreasonable fear to the back hatch door of my Ford Explorer shutting. They didn't want to go "bye bye" because of it and getting them into the SUV was starting to become such a hassle that I didn't want to deal with it. BUT I HAD TO. That's the way we get to fun places! The "process" to getting into the truck is always exactly the same (so they know what to expect) and I noticed points where both Bea and Bo were getting "stuck" in this process. The only way out is through so patience (from me) and my calmest most assertive self was absolutely required. Humans tend to be in a hurry for everything. Deal with his unreasonable fear only when you have the time to do so. Rehabilitating fear cannot be rushed. There is still a certain point where Bea gets "stuck" but I don't hurry and we get through it and (hopefully) it's better the next time.

Brembo has had a really cool life so far --- classes and lots of unusual experiences! He is well on his way to being that Service Dog you want and he will enjoy being. And remember, he's 11 months old --- he's a "kid". Be his unwavering, solid and confident pack leader and he will follow you through ANYTHING, I promise!!!

Thanks for this post, it really made me smile. It's true that my girlfriend may be giving off anxious energy even if she doesn't realize it, as if she's anticipating worry from him and as a result is tense from worrying herself. I asked her to let me deal with walking him on the street for now, and she can stick to the parks.

When you say "calm, assertive self", are you showing any positive energy? Or just keeping a steady (not angry) tone. I have been told to act really happy, especially when he gives me the smallest amount of attention towards what I want him to do. Let me know!

I HAVE POSTED UPDATE #1 ON PAGE 1!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
When you say "calm, assertive self", are you showing any positive energy? Or just keeping a steady (not angry) tone. I have been told to act really happy, especially when he gives me the smallest amount of attention towards what I want him to do. Let me know!

I think these are two different things for two very different situations. The requirement for calm/assertive (think: Queen of England) is during those points where my dogs are having challenges / being fearful / getting stuck / getting a correction. That "act happy" is the positive reinforcement that lets our pups know that they're on the right track or doing what we want of them.

When Bo was learning the "Catch the Pinecone" game, every time he caught one in the way I desired, I celebrated it big time ; smiles, "good boys" laughter and butt scritches. He's only two; he's learning, so when he does what I want, I want him to know - in no uncertain terms - how fabulous whatever-it-is I want from him really is. It seems to cement it in his little bwain! LOL

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.