Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: |:. FRUSTRATED .:| 11mo Bulldog scared to walk outside near traffic!!

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: |:. FRUSTRATED .:| 11mo Bulldog scared to walk outside near traffic!!

Looks like you've gotten some good suggestions, the only thing I could think of would be if you had a wagon or some sort of carriage you could put him in and wheel him through that area a few times to show him that it's not that bad. Just a thought though.

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: |:. FRUSTRATED .:| 11mo Bulldog scared to walk outside near traffic!!

What about loading him in the car and driving a few blocks away from the house then put his lead on and walk him to the house from where you are parked. Maybe a few times of this would instill in him confidence that nothing is going to happen while you are with him. Approach it from a different angle and maybe after several times (it will be a pain going back for the vehicle but it will be worth it in the long run) then open the door and see if he is willing to go out and walk the opposite direction away from the house instead of towards the house. I would continue on the super treats option but I would never consider dragging him anywhere; he would get start to hate the leash everytime he seen it.

Bulldog(s) Names
    BREMBO
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by truffle shuffle View Post
    Brembo is super handsome, and good luck getting service dog certification!!! Perhaps you could carry him out past your yard, and then set him down, maybe if he sees nothing bad (like jackhammering) is happening he might be able then to walk around with his person and earn some treats! I think getting him through the barrier is the big step here, I wouldn't drag him, but get him out there and remind him it's not so bad?
    Thanks so much! I've tried this a bit...he'll mosey around the front yard next to the sidewalk but as soon as I try to put him on the sidewalk, SCCCRREEEEACCCH...he comes to a halt. Positive reinforcement does nothing unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Well..I would rule out the dragging part for sure! He needs to TRUST that you will get him by those menacing spots. Dragging would destroy his trust and compound his fears. I would walk him in increasingly bigger area. I would take him in the car to a neutral area. Maybe a park. Just a nice relaxing walk. Take what he gives you. If needed..nothing wrong with treats. Especially since he has been treat oriented already. After a couple good outings, I would slowly get back to his normal route. He is a very handsome guy..I'm sure he will come around. Just needs good experiences to push away the negative memories..
    Agreed. And he walks great in the parks, so I think continuing this is good reinforcement even if he doesn't come around to walking through the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    Actually I would rule out all 4.

First of all, don't let your girlfriend take him for a walk for a while unless you are with them both.

Set off with confidence, assertiveness and a sense of purpose. Keep trying that, and wipe all thoughts of what happened from your mind. He will take his lead from you. If he senses any nervousness or anxiety from you then it will transfer to him.

I'm going to tag @Vicaroo1000 too .....
    Tell me more -- My girlfriend no longer walks him on the street, but she walks him in the park with NO PROBLEMS. As I work all day and she's home because she works nights, she is the only one who can get him out and exercise him. You think it's a problem that she's walking him in the park also?

Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    Lola is a big wuss too. we used to carry her a few houses down to start the walk and then she walks ok. carried her shorter and shorter and soon enough she walked out the door and down the steps

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
    That's something interesting I may try, although I'm sure once I put him down he'll run back towards the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2Bullies View Post
    Holy Cow reading this is like a chapter from my own life! My male Wilbur is the same...when he was about 9 or 10 months we went to get ice cream. We live in a small village and everything is walkable. Unfortunately, a motorcycle club came roaring through (not being jerks, they were going nice and slow and had gorgeous bikes) BUT the noise fried Wilbur. I will mention that Layla, his littermate, was also with us and didn't care at all ( she just wanted ice cream!)
    since then, he is super skittish around all loud noises. The lawn mower, the vacuum, pots and pans, fireworks, everything. During the incident itself I was very conscious to keep on as if nothing was wrong, calmly continuing on our way, knowing that if I coddled him it would just reinforce the fear. But no use...he is still refusing to go on the street where there is traffic. If we walk towards the forest path he is fine, but he is a statue if I try to go to the Main Street.

so interesting that Wilbur and Layla have always been exposed to the same things at the same time, and yet are so different in their reactions.

I will follow this post...I need help too. I have already tried these suggestions, and I just can't bear the all- out panic in his eyes when I try to take him walking on the street. It is hard enough to manage getting a baking sheet out or vacuuming!sometimes he hides, but other times he freaks and barks....poor little boy

Glad to know I am not the only one with this!
    That IS very interesting indeed. Also I have taken every step possible to ensure he's comfortable and looking to me for advice, and for this reason he shouldn't be spooked by other things...I guess he needs to trust that he can be confident with me.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    These ladies have you going on the right track.... I would even try walking in the opposite direction out of the house to start off, if possible
    Tried that of course, definitely a good suggestion as it breaks him out of his routine...unfortunately no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Corlando465 View Post
    My first thought was food but you've already done that and most everything else that I would do. The only other suggestion would be to a friend with a dog that Brembo likes to come over. Maybe even a friend from his puppy classes come over and take a walk with him. 1) dog friend might serve as a distraction to take his mind off his fears and 2) he might decide if dog friend isn't afraid then maybe it is okay. Good luck! Hope he'll be walking proudly through the neighborhood again soon,
    Well I started to do food...so this is something I could try to continue actually. I MEANT to include Option #5 being walking him with a friend.... This is something I'm definitely going to try, as it's been suggested to me by 1 or 2 other trainers!!

Quote Originally Posted by Libra926 View Post
    Wow....first off, Kudos to you. You are on top of it and I admire you. I'm wondering if you load Brembo into the car and have your gf drive the two of you out past the "scary" part of a road and walk him back home. Some times changing the direction of your walk will settle him.

He associates that part of the road with the horrible and scary sounds. Kinda like the "jack in the box" effect. You know it's coming but it still scares the crap out of you. He knows that part of the road is coming and he fears it.

Good luck! I hope you find something that works for you!
    This was another thought I had --- going down 2 blocks or so and walking him back... Will try it this weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
    My Daisy is almost 11 months old now, and she's skittish on the street too. Noises, and especially moving objects such as a swinging shingle sign just freak her out. I'm having some success with her using the "down" command. Of course, you have to have already trained your dog to "down" before this will work. When she freaks, I immediately get her down, and I keep her down while praising her. It seems to clam her some, and then we can go on with minimal trouble. She is getting better as time goes on.
    Brembo can do 'down' easily, but when he's scared like that it's hard to even get his attention because all he wants to do is run back to the house. I'll work harder on seeing if he'll obey commands, maybe that's where a more 'high-value' treat will come in.

Quote Originally Posted by gobronco View Post
    i was thinking the same thing. If you can get him to walk past that area in the other direction and go straight home. Maybe next day turn around when you are just passing that area followed by going straight home. Each day going a little further before you do the turn around thing. If everything works out you may be able to turn around, when you get to your house, and pass that are without any problem. If you don't find a way that works maybe find a good trainer. He may pay more attention to the new trainer than his fears.
    This would be a great idea if I could actually get him to the area of trauma.. That was a couple blocks over... I can't even get him past my house lol.

Thanks so much for all the advice so far. I have a lot of things to try during the upcoming week and will report back with any progress or setbacks!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ajwhitt44 View Post

Tell me more -- My girlfriend no longer walks him on the street, but she walks him in the park with NO PROBLEMS. As I work all day and she's home because she works nights, she is the only one who can get him out and exercise him. You think it's a problem that she's walking him in the park also?

!

No it is fine for her to walk him in the park if there are no issues there.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Brembo's situation is akin to every episode of Dog Whisperer that I've ever seen where a single event has led to a lifetime of fearfulness. In every single situation though, the corrective action has been the same; experiencing the scary thing, seeing nothing bad will happen, and getting through it. I would imagine that your girlfriend may be part of the problem. This thing happened on her watch and she's sharing fearful energy -- which only trigger's Brembo's fears. If his human pack leader is anxious, there must be a reason to be afraid, right?

Bea and Bo began to develop an unreasonable fear to the back hatch door of my Ford Explorer shutting. They didn't want to go "bye bye" because of it and getting them into the SUV was starting to become such a hassle that I didn't want to deal with it. BUT I HAD TO. That's the way we get to fun places! The "process" to getting into the truck is always exactly the same (so they know what to expect) and I noticed points where both Bea and Bo were getting "stuck" in this process. The only way out is through so patience (from me) and my calmest most assertive self was absolutely required. Humans tend to be in a hurry for everything. Deal with his unreasonable fear only when you have the time to do so. Rehabilitating fear cannot be rushed. There is still a certain point where Bea gets "stuck" but I don't hurry and we get through it and (hopefully) it's better the next time.

Brembo has had a really cool life so far --- classes and lots of unusual experiences! He is well on his way to being that Service Dog you want and he will enjoy being. And remember, he's 11 months old --- he's a "kid". Be his unwavering, solid and confident pack leader and he will follow you through ANYTHING, I promise!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    BREMBO
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Brembo's situation is akin to every episode of Dog Whisperer that I've ever seen where a single event has led to a lifetime of fearfulness. In every single situation though, the corrective action has been the same; experiencing the scary thing, seeing nothing bad will happen, and getting through it. I would imagine that your girlfriend may be part of the problem. This thing happened on her watch and she's sharing fearful energy -- which only trigger's Brembo's fears. If his human pack leader is anxious, there must be a reason to be afraid, right?

Bea and Bo began to develop an unreasonable fear to the back hatch door of my Ford Explorer shutting. They didn't want to go "bye bye" because of it and getting them into the SUV was starting to become such a hassle that I didn't want to deal with it. BUT I HAD TO. That's the way we get to fun places! The "process" to getting into the truck is always exactly the same (so they know what to expect) and I noticed points where both Bea and Bo were getting "stuck" in this process. The only way out is through so patience (from me) and my calmest most assertive self was absolutely required. Humans tend to be in a hurry for everything. Deal with his unreasonable fear only when you have the time to do so. Rehabilitating fear cannot be rushed. There is still a certain point where Bea gets "stuck" but I don't hurry and we get through it and (hopefully) it's better the next time.

Brembo has had a really cool life so far --- classes and lots of unusual experiences! He is well on his way to being that Service Dog you want and he will enjoy being. And remember, he's 11 months old --- he's a "kid". Be his unwavering, solid and confident pack leader and he will follow you through ANYTHING, I promise!!!
    Thanks for this post, it really made me smile. It's true that my girlfriend may be giving off anxious energy even if she doesn't realize it, as if she's anticipating worry from him and as a result is tense from worrying herself. I asked her to let me deal with walking him on the street for now, and she can stick to the parks.

When you say "calm, assertive self", are you showing any positive energy? Or just keeping a steady (not angry) tone. I have been told to act really happy, especially when he gives me the smallest amount of attention towards what I want him to do. Let me know!

I HAVE POSTED UPDATE #1 ON PAGE 1!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ajwhitt44 View Post
    When you say "calm, assertive self", are you showing any positive energy? Or just keeping a steady (not angry) tone. I have been told to act really happy, especially when he gives me the smallest amount of attention towards what I want him to do. Let me know!
    I think these are two different things for two very different situations. The requirement for calm/assertive (think: Queen of England) is during those points where my dogs are having challenges / being fearful / getting stuck / getting a correction. That "act happy" is the positive reinforcement that lets our pups know that they're on the right track or doing what we want of them.

When Bo was learning the "Catch the Pinecone" game, every time he caught one in the way I desired, I celebrated it big time ; smiles, "good boys" laughter and butt scritches. He's only two; he's learning, so when he does what I want, I want him to know - in no uncertain terms - how fabulous whatever-it-is I want from him really is. It seems to cement it in his little bwain! LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads