Fritoes Anyone??

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Does a "frito smell" always mean a yeast problem? There is no itching, scratching, or redness. Just a pretty strong frito smell. Bogey gets a bath at least 2-3 times a week if we have been at the dog park. The nice clean smell only lasts about 1 day, and then the frito smell sets in. I wash his bed 3-4 times a week and leave it in the sun to dry.

He is on PUrevita Grain free bison kibble and I supplement with homemade meatballs, cottage cheese or eggs.

Does he just need a better shampoo? Is this a typical bullie scent?

Any suggestions out there??

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I was thinking the same thing. The water may actually be promoting the yeast growth. Maybe cut down on the baths until it's gone?

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
What is a "frito smell"? Like an infected smell? I need to learn the lingo.

tanito00

Aug 20, 2012
Northern Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
What is a "frito smell"? Like an infected smell? I need to learn the lingo.

Frito is the cornchips that they sell at the store. If you've ever had these chips once you open that bag you can get a big woof of corn chips and thats how we in the bully world relate a yeast infection on our bullies. In other words if your bullie reeks like dove into a bog of fritos 95% chance he/she has some sort of yeast infection.

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thank you for clearing that up (I'll never eat frito's again). I'm learning so much here.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
If your bully smells of Fritoes (Corn Chips) in my experience its a Yeast issue. we PICKLE Gizmo and Hershey's Paws when they get this odor (we definately battle this odor when they are on Taste of the Wild Salmon.

1 part Apple Cider Vinegar
1 part Hydrogen Peroxide
3 parts water

Have them stand in the solution (one paw at a time in a medium sauce pan works well) work it between their toes and up their ankles. repeat a few times for a week to 10 days, and BE SURE TO CLEAN THEIR BEDDING. You need to kill the Yeast Colony.

Search on Yeasty Paws or Pickled Paws for the threads on it :)

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...2245-fritos-anyone-dealing-yeast-i-think.html

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
you have great advice above, good luck hope things get better :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Luckily I haven't had to spell fritos yet but from what I've see yes it's probably yeast.

That's a wholla baths too. My guys only get bathed about every 8 weeks, give or take.

OP
mer55

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Luckily I haven't had to spell fritos yet but from what I've see yes it's probably yeast.

That's a wholla baths too. My guys only get bathed about every 8 weeks, give or take.

Bogey's trip to the dog park ( which he LOVES) makes it necessary to bathe him! Besides all the globs of saliva from other dogs, it is dusty, he digs, he rolls in dirt, and just has an absolute fun time! His biting has decreased 10-fold since we started taking him there! He is so exhausted when we get home. Maybe I'll cut down to once a week and use the baby wipes in between. Again, he has no other signs of a yeast infection, and he is doing sooooo great in the digestive department on this food. UGH!!

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Perhaps try to determine where on him the yeast smell is coming from to make it easier, places to give a good old fashion sniff would be: tail pocket, paws, ears, and nose rope. Those are the primary places that I've seen people talking about having yeast issues. As the others said 2-3 times a week is quite a bit. You could also try adding ACV to his diet.

Most Reactions