English Bulldog and part squirrel?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Here is a copy/paste of what I found:

Could eating an acorn make my dog sick?
- Bob B.Acorns (Quercus spp.) contain a toxic principle called Gallotannin. In cows and horses who repeatedly ingest significant amounts, we have seen potentially severe gastrointestinal irritation, depression and kidney damage.
Dogs, however, generally do not forage on acorns as livestock do—and even if they do ingest several acorns, it is usually an acute (single) exposure, not a chronic situation. In these cases, we typically only see mild to moderate gastrointestinal upset, which can include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal discomfort. However, there is also the potential for mechanical irritation (from the sharp fragmented pieces of acorn), and possible obstruction, should a large amount of acorn material become lodged in the GI tract.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] noted they can be harmful to you bully, so just do your best in keeping him away from them.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Our Bullies must think they are goats. lol. Dozer always tries to eat rocks and pinecones when he's outside.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Acorns are part of Ellie's menu. Now that it's gotten cold, she's all about doing her business and high telling it back inside. She's such a weenie as one of the vets at our vet office calls her. But this past fall, she would forage on them if we would have let her. Started to keep her on her leash so that we could limit her getting to them. It doesn't help when you back yard is all woods though.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
My dogs used to eat the dried leaves on the deck in the fall. They were like their chips. They also ate acorns--just too many of them around here to keep the dogs away from them.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Luckily we don't have acorns in our yard. Mila will have to stick to eating rocks, bark off of the pine trees, worms, slugs, leaves, landscaping tubing, ferns, Kleenex out of the wastebasket (she thinks they are wontons), Rudy, toilet paper rolls, the couch, the deck, dirt and other things I am suite I am forgetting.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
[MENTION=8049]Crystal Morris[/MENTION] isn't Gretzky still a puppy? I'm asking because I would be cautious that he doesn't get a blockage or choke on a big acorn if he is still a little guy. Make sure you are getting consistent :poo: out of him.

OP
GretzkysMomma

GretzkysMomma

Feb 4, 2013
Richardson, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretzky
Yes he is still a puppy. He is about 14 weeks old now. He is a good pooper. It was mushy when we first got him, but now we have him on Blue Wilderness and he has great poops now. Hehe!

He's a smarty pants and already potty trained. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.