Bonding Tips?

GretzkysMomma

Feb 4, 2013
Richardson, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gretzky
I think it's too soon to tell, but my husband is afraid that Gretzky doesn't really like him. When he gets home from work, Gretzky doesn't really welcome him.

Are there any tips for my hubby to bond on a deeper level? He has really taken to me, and I think my husband might be a tad bit jealous. ;)

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I think it's too soon to tell, but my husband is afraid that Gretzky doesn't really like him. When he gets home from work, Gretzky doesn't really welcome him.

Are there any tips for my hubby to bond on a deeper level? He has really taken to me, and I think my husband might be a tad bit jealous. ;)

How long have you had Gretzky? Remi for the first couple of months clinged more to me as well, but I forced the husband to take part in more of the chores... Feeding, walking, taking remi to petco, doing obedience training with him, and generally forcing some one on one time. It definitely worked... But remi has always been gregarious and would probably welcome a robber with open paws and wet kisses, but even I admit he seems more enthusiastic upon greeting the hubbie and does the toy prance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Honey, I was surprised but my Hubby was actually jealous of our skin baby!

It happens so but when they bond it's over
:smoochwink: Bullies are FOOD oriented so
have Hubby feed him, if his schedule doesn't allow that then have him have a
special treat for Gretzky when he comes home...works everytime and they
will go on to LOVE each other! Happy Valentine's Day and GOD bless y'all.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
I think it's too soon to tell, but my husband is afraid that Gretzky doesn't really like him. When he gets home from work, Gretzky doesn't really welcome him. Are there any tips for my hubby to bond on a deeper level? He has really taken to me, and I think my husband might be a tad bit jealous. ;)

Give it time. A few butt scratches, treats and excitement when he gets home and Gretzky will own him umm I mean the little bully will be happy to see him. It takes a while for the little bulldogs to train us. My experience is they learn to like spending time with each family member at different times depending on what mood they are in. Mila and Rudy will run by my wife and greet me like I have been gone for a month. In the evening, when we are all sitting on the couch, I am all by myself on one end of the couch. Mila laying in My wife's lap, Rudy sitting next to her. Sometimes I am the redheaded stepchild sometimes she is. A complete switch from Tyler and Mimi (both RIP). Tyler was over 50lbs and slept in the wife's lap while Mimi slept next to her. Sometimes Tyler would lay his head in my lap during the simmer. Guess the wife was too HAWT :).

Tyler shown below, couldn't find a picture of him 53lbs laying in my wife (petite 110lbs) lap.
DSC00365.jpg

AmyEbert

Sep 16, 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gus
Gus is very much a mamas boy, especially when he was younger. But he is all Daddy's when he gets down on the floor and starts to play with him. He is all butt wiggles when Hubby gets home from work. He can't wait for their special time of day.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

It happens so but when they bond it's over
:smoochwink: Bullies are FOOD oriented so
have Hubby feed him, if his schedule doesn't allow that then have him have a
special treat for Gretzky when he comes home...works everytime and they
will go on to LOVE each other! Happy Valentine's Day and GOD bless y'all.

I agree with Carol. When I first got my female bullmastiff many years ago, my husband (not affectionately) referred to her as "the bitch." He was right. She didn't like him at all. He fed her for a while and was forced to participate a little more in her care. She went from "the bitch" to "the princess" in a matter of months. She absolutely adored him. He was devastated when she died--completely heart-broken.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
I agree with everyone here, get him involved more and give it time. Bacon goes through his favorites time where he will want Mommy vs Daddy and Jen and I both have a different relationship with him. He clearly views me as the alpha of the house so he tests Jen more then me. But if one of us is home for a few days w/o the other he gets bored with that person and when the other gets home he is all over them like white on rice.

Poplawski

Jan 30, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
We have had our Bully for 40 days and it seems like he associates my husband and I differently. Our bully is very protective over me like a watch dog while my husband is his play buddy.

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
I learned a really neat bonding exercise in obedience class. Put your pup into a down position then you hover your body above them with them in between your legs...you put your face just above theirs and start massaging their ears, face, paws...etc. I usually talk to Winston at the same time. You will get some resistance at first so only do this for a very short time...increasing each time.
Now I do this whenever and he doesn't resist at all, he likes it and is very calm....it seems very soothing and I always treat him after.
I did this multpile times a day when we first got him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.