ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I am curious about how you all handle questions about bulldogs from people who have "always wanted one." Ever since I adopted Mabel, I've been flooded with E-mails and messages from friends who love the breed and think that it would be fun to own one of these dogs. I've been very discouraging to most of them, telling them that even though this is a short-haired dog, they require a great amount of maintenance (knowing that most of them wouldn't keep up with all the wrinkles and health issues). It's sad, but the reason most of us have our dogs is because someone who always wanted a bulldog was not able or willing to go the distance and provide for them.

That said, I would love to someday own a bulldog from a reputable breeder, though I don't think I could love it any more than my little Mabel!

mabel sleeping.jpg

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
We run into this all of the time, at PetSmart or other places we go. We give them information like this website and others, we give them rescue names and locations, and we warn them about buying from a Pet Shop or off of the Internet - EDUCATE EDUCATE EDUCATE is all that you can do for them. :)

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I always tell them the good, the bad, and the ugly! I am honest about everything but I also tell them how sweet their personalities are and why I love the breed as well.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I tell em unless they are prepared to take care of a high maintenance dog and the vet bill's, not to get into it. It's not just a beautiful dog, it's a whole lot more.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Hubby is also very discouraging to co-workers or friends who want one after they meet ours. He always tells them that he doesn't know how I can keep up with both of them plus the house and our 2 kids while working full time. They just require so much more than other breeds! The kids help me a lot though, they are learning to take care of pets very well so far.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
We take Chunk with us everywhere we can, and we get people all the time that say they want one. We let them know how much money, special diets, allergies, vet visits, and extra time with training goes into this breed, we have a smart dog but he can be willfull- he knows what we want, but he just might not care! Over a year of research, and discusion became our process! and you MUST be a good firm, and consistent pack leader. Wrinkles, those sweet wrinkles we love so much require daily attention!! I am very honest, but also tend to discourage those that seem to like the superficial notion of a bulldog, but are unaware of the reality. They are awsome, but they need extra love and attention!!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I usually let them know that they can be a very high maintenance dog and unless they really have the time that this breed requires to stay healthy that it's not the breed for them. My friend asked me once why on earth I wanted a dog that farts, snores, has to be kept clean all the time (wrinkles), drools, leaves water all over when they drink, flings stuff on the walls, etc. I simply told here that I needed a dog that needed to be needed. :luv:

Oh and by the way, Mabel is looking wonderful with her head buried in her bed. :love: :heart:

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I always tell them that they are very high maintenance, have tons of health issues, and require a lot of expenses and care. But that it's totally worth it.

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
I always do the same as most of the other answers....education is the key. I always tell people an EB is NOT a dog you by on a whim. You have to do research and make sure you know what the OBLIGATIONS are that are REQUIRED by being a skin parent. When ever I see a backyard breeder at the Walmart or along the road I always stop and talk to the people looking. I always tell them of the work involved in caring for the breed and how you should never buy one from the side of the road (this behavior has also caused me to meet more than a few local police officers!!! Lol).

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I always do the same as most of the other answers....education is the key. I always tell people an EB is NOT a dog you by on a whim. You have to do research and make sure you know what the OBLIGATIONS are that are REQUIRED by being a skin parent. When ever I see a backyard breeder at the Walmart or along the road I always stop and talk to the people looking. I always tell them of the work involved in caring for the breed and how you should never buy one from the side of the road (this behavior has also caused me to meet more than a few local police officers!!! Lol).

My husband has gotten in trouble at PetSmart for commenting on the crap food people buy their dogs. I've attracted a lot of attention just by going through the shelves saying "I'd never feed this garbage to my dog," so I know what you mean. I'd probably be the same way with a backyard breeder, knowing what I know about Mabel's health problems.

I usually let them know that they can be a very high maintenance dog and unless they really have the time that this breed requires to stay healthy that it's not the breed for them. My friend asked me once why on earth I wanted a dog that farts, snores, has to be kept clean all the time (wrinkles), drools, leaves water all over when they drink, flings stuff on the walls, etc. I simply told here that I needed a dog that needed to be needed. :luv:

Bill laughed the other morning when he was walking Mabel. She shook her head and a piece of kibble that she had apparently been storing in her lips flew out. Now I know why they call them flews! :lmaogirl:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Bill laughed the other morning when he was walking Mabel. She shook her head and a piece of kibble that she had apparently been storing in her lips flew out. Now I know why they call them flews! :lmaogirl:

I have found a few things on my walls and was like, you got to be kiddin' me........:bigeyes:

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I get stopped a lot when I'm out with Diesel & Molly and I hear "Oh that's my favorite kind of dog, I've always wanted one" so often and I think when people see a well taken care of bulldog they don't realize the care that goes into keeping them looking, smelling and feeling good! I try to explain what all goes into the proper care of a bulldog and so often people I talk to had no clue how high maintenance they are but if everyone educates people they meet then maybe one day there will be less thrown away bulldogs like the foster I will be taking into my home tomorrow!! Maybe if people could see what poor Rita has been through just so someone could make a fast buck off of breeding her and selling to people that really don't know any better they might start thinking differently ... I know, keep dreaming!!

OP
ChrisRN

ChrisRN

Jan 10, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
[MENTION=6189]bulldogs4me[/MENTION] I know what you mean. Poor little Mabel has been bred a minimum of 4 times (she's only 4 to 5 years old). I can't imagine the mindset of people who think nothing of what they're reproducing, and how they're hurting these animals. A good breeder won't make money on their puppies because of the cost of the care of the bitch and the puppies. It's a shame that the high price of these dogs has unscrupulous breeders thinking of dollar signs instead of quality dogs. As long as there are people willing to buy an EB and not do their homework, there will be bad breeders and lots of dogs in rescue. :crying:

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Mabel is beautiful--I love her color! I have had people question why I would keep a dog that slobbers so much. Why, I say, because I love him, and honestly he is the sweetest and healthiest of all 6 Bulldogs I have had over the years!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.