new puppy stinks!!!! BAD

Silastheman

Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Silas
HELLO!! my little Silas smells like a dead fish every time I get him from his crate...it smells my entire house, bathing doesn't help for long at all. it just comes right back, its super strong and gross...he is so cute and I wanna cuddle him but he is smelling like something awful...any ideas? this is gross and weird:confused:

Attachments

• 11 weeks.jpg
    11 weeks.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 176

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
Gracie would smell whenever I took her out of her crate....turns out she wasn't holding her pee and would get it all over her. Funny (not ha ha funny but weird funny) was that she never smelled like pee....she smelled kinda fishy and had a weird feel (almost sticky) to her fur. I started taking her water up a few hours before bed and we no longer had the problem. Now she goes through the night and there is no smell. I used to bathe (bring it on.....I know it was to much lol) her everyday with a hypo-allergenic, organic, oatmeal shampoo until she stopped using her crate.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
That cant be much fun. When HRH first came here to rule she had a very strong doggy odor to her. Her urine was really bad. We changed her food and it cleared right up. I dont know if that would work for you but it did us. He's toooo cute not to be cuddled. We need to fix this. ;)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
My pup also stunk. Kinda like an old gym sock smell. When I was looking him over I noticed his ears, they were filthy. So I used Malacetic Ultra that I got from Amazon. It definitely helped with the smell.
Thank you [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] for the recommendation under the Grooming Products section.

I also started the food switch to Fromm Puppy Gold this morning hoping it'll clear up the pink from his chin.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Check the anal glands. We occasionally use the term "ugh! Orion fish butted again". Basically, Orion's gland on her left side malfunctions. It doesn't express properly and just "goes off".

So, pick Silas up and smell his back end. Find out if this is where it's coming from. Also, like mentioned above.......food can be the culprit.

Ashleym

Community Veteran
Feb 5, 2013
So. Calif.
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergus
My Fergus stinks also gave him a bath 2 days ago because he smelt like pee good to know I am not the only one. I am trying to restrain myself from giving him a bath everyday... I smell like pee also :ashamed: from cuddling him... going thru baby wipes like crazy but it doesnt help with the smell :shout:

OP
Silastheman

Silastheman

Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Silas
im pretty sure its anal glands ewww but so much??? all the time? can food cause them to leak? im feeding natural balance duck and potato.. he also hates his crate!! i havent slept in days, he screams all night and because of his stinky butt he cant be in my room:nope:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
If it is his anal glands you'll know pretty fast when you sniff the back end. I know it's gross but you'll have to do that. Anal glands will also smell like those black stink bugs, or of couse, liquid fish butt as I like to call it. I have to express Jack's anal glad about every 5 weeks (he's my non bully). Here's a wonderful article I put together on this subject. Anal Gland Care - Everything You Need to Know.

Now if it's an overall smell food is more than likely the culprit. Dogs should not stink at all unless they're dirty.

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
The reason he's screaming all night is because he wants to be near you. I know he's smelly right now but I would suggest putting that crate next to your bed, put a light weight blanket/sheet over it and when he starts to whine reach down and touch him though the grate. They really want to know you're there when they're this young. It worked like a charm for my three. Most puppies will hate their crate (they want to be with you). Please please make sure you make it a happy place and give him treats to encourage him to go in and another when he does. I just use their kibble for a treat (keeps them from getting fat that way). A crate can be a wonderful thing for them to retreat to.

No food cannot make them leak. You may want to take him to the vet to be check. He could have a gland that needs medical attention to be fixed.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Just guessing, but Puppy and Crate, and not being happy in the crate, well lets see.... if he pees in the crate, he DEFINATELY isnt going to be happy in the crate. To me this is the 1st thing to check. A young pup needs to go out every FEW hours, even at night, 2-3 hours, take him out, let him do his business (Keep him out until he Does his business) then back to bed (for both of you) if he pees in his crate, Take him out, let him do his business, while someone else cleans his crate with an Enzyme cleaner, *AND* (no matter what time of day or night) Right into the bath with the puppy. You can't leave him smelling like his own pee, for his own frame of mind, and he will become confused of where to go and where not to go.

How big is the crate? he should have JUST enough room to turn around in and stand up in. The size adjustable crates are best, so you can give him a little more room as he grows. If the crate is big enough to pee in one corner, he will do it, if he has to go.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Check the anal glands. We occasionally use the term "ugh! Orion fish butted again". Basically, Orion's gland on her left side malfunctions. It doesn't express properly and just "goes off".

So, pick Silas up and smell his back end. Find out if this is where it's coming from. Also, like mentioned above.......food can be the culprit.

We had the same problem with stinky fish butt with our old dog. It was nasty. Check with your vet to see if everything is OK, but ours said it was good that we smelled this discharge because it meant her anal glands weren't clogged.

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
Wow!! I was just about to post a thread on the topic of peeing in the crate and grooming. This is week two with Z..he isn't to bad in his crate he is getting use to it but he pees. So i guess i will take his water up before bed and in the morning. I too bought wipes but Z needs a bath! Thanks guys!

flkjr2

Nov 24, 2012
Florissant, Missouri
Bulldog(s) Names
Z
HELLO!! my little Silas smells like a dead fish every time I get him from his crate...it smells my entire house, bathing doesn't help for long at all. it just comes right back, its super strong and gross...he is so cute and I wanna cuddle him but he is smelling like something awful...any ideas? this is gross and weird:confused:
So I just gave Z a bath and I used apple cider vinegar rinse that I saw posted on this site....Awesome!! Im impressed simply by how he smells after the rinse! No wet dog smell! :2thumbs:Good luck with Silas!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Dog or bullys are not supposed to smell. I feed raw and my bullys get a bath maybe once or twice a year and they don't smell not even when wet. It is not good for their skin to be bathed too often. I would definedly chance his food. The smell will keep coming back no matter how much you bath him if the reason is not delt with.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.