How do rescues determine age?

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
I was wondering how vets or rescues can tell how old a dog is if they have no previous info about the dog? Especially since weight varies so much with ebd's, how do they guesses with mixed breeds? How accurate are their guesstimates?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they can tell by the dogs teeth. They go by I think how many, and the older the dog the more tarter and damage they have. Pretty much older dogs will have more wear and tear than younger dogs. I think they are usually accurate but you just never know!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi I looked this up for you, and this is what I found

vets will first examine the teeth, if the teeth are snow white and clean , then the pup is 1 year in age or less, if the back teeth are yellow with a little bit of tartar starting to develop, then the dog is 1 to 2 years old, if the teeth have tartar build up, are yellow or brown in colour, and have wear and tear, the dog is 3 to 5 years old, if the dog has gum disease, more or severe wear and tear and tartar, or is missing teeth, then the dog is a 10 plus senior dog.

vets will examine the eyes and feel the coat and skin. If the dogs eyes are bright and clear, then it's a young dog, if the eyes are opaque or cloudy, it's an older dog. If the dog has a shiny soft coat and skin, then it's a young dog, but if the hair is more coarse and the fur and skin is greasy , it indicates an older dog.

Another indicator of a dogs age is his behaviour, some signs of old age are difficulty climbing stairs, or jumping up on things, frequent stretching, sleeping more often, and not playing as much, and the muscle tone of the dog, a young pup or dog will be more dense, and have more fat on its body, then an older dog, an older dog will have less muscle tone, and will seem to be skinnier and bonier.

Last edited:

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
@vikingsgirl is right. Teeth, coat and behavior. We can't pinpoint an exact age but we can come pretty close. My Otis was thought to be 3 based on his teeth and size.

My recently adopted Great Dane was estimated to be about a year old but in doing her spay the doctor noted that she had never gone into a heat cycle so he put her at 7 months.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
@vikingsgirl is right. Teeth, coat and behavior. We can't pinpoint an exact age but we can come pretty close. My Otis was thought to be 3 based on his teeth and size.

My recently adopted Great Dane was estimated to be about a year old but in doing her spay the doctor noted that she had never gone into a heat cycle so he put her at 7 months.

Thena's only 7 months, good golly she's younger than I thought.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes, we go by the teeth too and usually go with whatever the vet tells us. It seems to be one of the best ways to get their age, although it's not perfect by any means because so many things can have happened in their previous life to affect their teeth.

We have noticed that the bullies that have been used as puppy mill breeders or been strays seem to age so very quickly. They go grey around their muzzle long before they really should and just have a weary look about them.

Their hard life that they have been forced to lead, really does take a toll on their little bodies!! :cry:

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Yes, we go by the teeth too and usually go with whatever the vet tells us. It seems to be one of the best ways to get their age, although it's not perfect by any means because so many things can have happened in their previous life to affect their teeth.

We have noticed that the bullies that have been used as puppy mill breeders or been strays seem to age so very quickly. They go grey around their muzzle long before they really should and just have a weary look about them.

Their hard life that they have been forced to lead, really does take a toll on their little bodies!! :cry:

This makes me so sad. Our Mabel was used as a breeder and has that weary look. She's a sweet little dog who obviously never learned what it is to play. They estimated her age at between 4 and 6, but who can say for sure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.