Not good with kids or anyone really.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Submitting worked awesome when he was younger, but now over 40 pounds, he is stronger than me I swear!!! I tried doing it recently and we were on the ground 10 minutes and he still wasn't submitting. It just makes him incredibly anxious. (Where the true issue lies)

One thing that works extremely well is putting him on the leash inside the house. He sits when I tell him to sit, he lays down when I tell him to lay down. It's just a reminder who's boss without getting physical and embarrassing myself. (hahahah)

My trainer agrees with this approach, but time will tell right? What I can say, despite my sadness that his nipping/rough playing isn't entirely cured, is that the frequency of these episodes is way less than they used to be. I guess my expectations somehow increased and that's why the fall was so rough!

I am so glad to hear that Rumble is not the only dog that will lunge at his owners. We have been having the same problem although we have been lucky that we have been able to move out of the way before he gets to us. We have also tried to roll him over to make him submit and it does not seem to work. He will get right back up and try to lunge at us again. When you put him on a leash how long do you leave him on it? I would like to try this method on Rumble when he gets out of control and starts to lunge.

thesspa

I live with 2 porkers!
Apr 10, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
sending good thoughts, strength and patience your way.... it sounds like you are doing all the right things

I've been there with the head butting, and the brusing, and the getting knocked off my feet and with Bacon we quickly realized that he did not know his own strength... we are working the most on the "gentle" command right now in every situation we can: when he REALLY wants a toy that in our hand, or a treat, or making him stop at the peak of play... little by little it is making a difference

you clearly love him and I have no doubt that you'll get there together :mansfriend:

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I am so glad to hear that Rumble is not the only dog that will lunge at his owners. We have been having the same problem although we have been lucky that we have been able to move out of the way before he gets to us. We have also tried to roll him over to make him submit and it does not seem to work. He will get right back up and try to lunge at us again. When you put him on a leash how long do you leave him on it? I would like to try this method on Rumble when he gets out of control and starts to lunge.

It's hard to say. I keep him on the leash until he's doing what I say without question. This ranges from 5 minutes to half an hour in most cases. I also use the clicker/treat training at the same time if it makes sense, to show him I'm not trying to be a jerk, but i'm the boss, and here is what I expect from him.

It really takes their mind off of the trigger and brings them back down to reality. Good luck!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
I have no good advice either. We submit Tonka as well and it does seem to help. He's 1 now and still gets riled up buy he is easier to calm down. The best way I find is to sit him like a human on mu lap with my arms around him. He just lets out a big sigh and rests his chin on my arms eventually. When he was about 6-8 months he did make my cheek bleed with a high impact tooth to cheek hit and gave my mother in law a bleeding nose. I find people love to play rough with him an rile him up no matter what I say because of his breed and how cute he is... Its a curse!

That exhale is a good sign. Remi never gets to that point because he's so worked up and anxious. We are actually training him to learn how to relax. It's been interesting...

I believe everyone will find what works best for them and theirs. Bullys are not the same!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Submitting worked awesome when he was younger, but now over 40 pounds, he is stronger than me I swear!!! I tried doing it recently and we were on the ground 10 minutes and he still wasn't submitting. It just makes him incredibly anxious. (Where the true issue lies)

One thing that works extremely well is putting him on the leash inside the house. He sits when I tell him to sit, he lays down when I tell him to lay down. It's just a reminder who's boss without getting physical and embarrassing myself. (hahahah)

My trainer agrees with this approach, but time will tell right? What I can say, despite my sadness that his nipping/rough playing isn't entirely cured, is that the frequency of these episodes is way less than they used to be. I guess my expectations somehow increased and that's why the fall was so rough!

Have you tried hand feeding? Again, I only know how to deal with aggression in Miila so not the same but hand feeding and making him earn each handful might help put you as pack leader. Perfect time to work on his training, like sit, shake, down etc. that was my turning point with her honestly. I could see in her eyes how she went from trying to run over me to knowing I WAS in charge. Might help you. I understand you not wanting to submit cuz Cutty isn't one I can really submit either. Very strong and has a crazy personality. The food might help tho. :hug:

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Everyone please keep in mind when posting in forums to keep things positive and up beat. We don't need any Debbie Downers talking poorly or being rude to other members.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Have you tried hand feeding? Again, I only know how to deal with aggression in Miila so not the same but hand feeding and making him earn each handful might help put you as pack leader. Perfect time to work on his training, like sit, shake, down etc. that was my turning point with her honestly. I could see in her eyes how she went from trying to run over me to knowing I WAS in charge. Might help you. I understand you not wanting to submit cuz Cutty isn't one I can really submit either. Very strong and has a crazy personality. The food might help tho. :hug:

I just did this for the first time today. I want to make sure it's not in fact a challenge for alpha, because lord knows I need all the help I can get.

He was super eager to please but was anxious the entire time. Next time I'll start feeding him when he's in a calmer state. Thanks girly.

And a huge thanks to [MENTION=4688]Baconator[/MENTION] for cleaning up the thread. Lord knows I just should have kept my mouth shut, but for me, that is quite the challenge :)

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
Remi has only submitted a few times, but I don't think I've ever held him by his armpits. I'm going to have to try this. This action really stresses him out though and only escalates the issue so far for us.

And by a few times I mean, I wonder how much longer we have to stay like this until he submits. But we put him on the leash and he calms down immediately. It's weird. He walks very well on a leash, rarely any pulling, and listens amazingly to commands. But we have these current issues that we call triggers that turn him into a different dog that we're trying to fix here.

If we have instances like this with Otis where he just gets out of control I put his leash on a door knob and then put it on him - he does not like being in trouble and will calm right down. I give it a few minutes and we try again - if it happens again back on the leash. Otis is very powerful and it can be scary at times but they dont know what they are doing is wrong unless we bring out the leash - he has gotten so much better and just like everything good that comes, it comes in time and from being consistant.

Keep us posted. Remi will come around. Hang in there.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Otis plays VERY rough so I totally get where you're coming from. I've been knocked over, bruised and my hands chewed apart from his playing. I've been working with him on "no bite" and "easy" and he's slowly coming around but it's been anything but easy.

I don't know if I've been doing it right or not but it seems to be working. When Otis starts getting too rough I grab his head, blow in his face and say "easy". I don't yell at him I just calmly say easy. Blowing in his face seems to get his attention and I think the fact that he hates it helps a little. I don't let go of his face until I feel him relax.

I hope you can get him under control soon. I'm pulling for ya!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I just did this for the first time today. I want to make sure it's not in fact a challenge for alpha, because lord knows I need all the help I can get.

He was super eager to please but was anxious the entire time. Next time I'll start feeding him when he's in a calmer state. Thanks girly.

And a huge thanks to @Baconator for cleaning up the thread. Lord knows I just should have kept my mouth shut, but for me, that is quite the challenge :)

when you do it, take your time. With Miila I would wait a good 30 seconds between bites even. Just sort of messing with her so she knew she needed me. May not help in your situation but worth a try. You have gotten lots of great advice. With Miila I also find it is easier to control her craziness better by directing her, rather than just saying no, etc. such as if she s crazy bugging me, which she does often, I give her a spot (rug etc) to sit/stay. They don't seem to understand the no's as much as the command of what you do want.

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Hi,
First let me say, he is gorgeous. My opinion: he is 7 months old, just a baby. He will learn what's acceptable & what is not. When I was late with dinner, twice Max bit me in the arse. The first time I was shocked ( dinner was a half hour late). The 2nd time, I took him for a walk (he hates his walks) i walked him fast & long. He never did it again. That was 4 years ago.
Max is 75lbs, we play hard together. Some weeks I have bruises on my arms & legs but, he is not trying to hurt me.
Remi will learn, he loves you & wants to please you.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Otis plays VERY rough so I totally get where you're coming from. I've been knocked over, bruised and my hands chewed apart from his playing. I've been working with him on "no bite" and "easy" and he's slowly coming around but it's been anything but easy.

I don't know if I've been doing it right or not but it seems to be working. When Otis starts getting too rough I grab his head, blow in his face and say "easy". I don't yell at him I just calmly say easy. Blowing in his face seems to get his attention and I think the fact that he hates it helps a little. I don't let go of his face until I feel him relax.

I hope you can get him under control soon. I'm pulling for ya!

I am going to try this. Hahaha. This just reminded me of the spray bottle. I've been using it to keep him away from the cats and the cats from going after him. I figured I might be able to use it for other things... like when he's doing things he shouldn't, and if he ignored a command to stop. For example, he sometimes likes to jump on the window seat, which scratches the paint.

One day I gave him a couple of sprays when he was on the part of the couch he shouldn't have been. Instead of doing what you would expect for him to do, he jumped down, came over to me, and put his mouth right on the end of the nozzle... and started licking it!!!!!!!

Oh, man. I would pull the trigger and he would just drink and drink. I couldn't stop laughing.

Of all the crap he puts me through, I will give him that. He cracks me the heck up.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
"Lord knows I just should have kept my mouth shut, but for me, that is quite the challenge :)

*NO*, you do not 'just have to keep your mouth shut', this is support for you, for me, and for others. If we dont talk about what it on our minds, and bring up our bully issues, then we have no support system, and we have no reason for a site like this.

PLEASE keep posting, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - as long as the post isn't attacking other users, and is within the proper etiquette that is :) :)

(if ya disappear, I'll come up across that 'canal' and hunt you and Remi down with Hershey and Gizmo in tow, then you'll have licked and bulled over by my 2, while I'm getting head butted by Remi :p )

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm late as usual to the party. I have a bit of a problem with Jack if you ever read some of the posts about him, you'll know I have a real problem. But he's mine, I saved him and we love him. He turned 8 in Sept. he's a large american/english mix He has panic aggression the worst kind of aggression I know of. With 5 dogs in the house you would think there is lots of commotion, not so as a matter of fact. We need to keep calm and little to know mother eeze talking. Any thing exciting or sudden can set him off. He's on the bite list as He has bitten someone visiting in my house years ago and has threatened every one who's been to the house since. or even walks past the house. He is aggressive without a doubt. But I handle him and keep him from any contact with any body but my husband and my in laws (ha) joke there. To go to the vet, the poor boy shakes to the bone, gets sedation and need's to be muzzled just to get his vaccines . He has lost control of bodily functions at the vet. busted his blood vessels in his eyes. It's a in and out of there for us. we can't take him to the pet shops or anything like that. I trimmed his nail's the other night while my hubs had him in a head lock while sitting on the floor. He would do some serious damage from his fear if let go. before I start, I give him the benefit of the doubt first as being gentle and kind. We can't have him exposed to anyone that visits the house. Never!!! we tried , we failed. more than once. many times, even had him leashed when regular company comes. he just watches and turn's in an instant. he can't handle it, that's all there is to it. we had a trainer years ago who charged us lots of $$$$ only to fire us and give up on him. Jack would hump him and not let go. he wouldn't be bribed or handled, he'd lay on the floor and do nothing if he wanted too. He's the most intelligent dog I've ever met. I 've been surrounded by dogs most of my life. He gives you sign's by looking at you. almost like he knows what you are thinking, i give a look and he will do what ever I look at for him to do, for instance. get an object , go to daddy. go to one of the dogs. he's no dummy Just aware of everything around him , or down the street. We have a fence and blocked at the bottom. he can't get out, it's locked and blocked. we have tried lots and lots and lots of things, believe me. I've learned my limitations of how and where he can be exposed. do I fear him. absolutely not. if he shows aggression to me, I give him my hand as an offering, like a show down or bluff, he's nipped, but knows I'm not afraid and I can handle him. hubs and I are the only ones that he can really trust. Trust yourself with Remi

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I am so sorry this has happened! In addition to all the advice you have been given about behavioral intervention I wonder if it would be worth talking to your vet about medicating him. If he is anxious or feeling an abnormally high amount of stress for whatever reason perhaps medication would be worth discussing. You must feel safe with your pet.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.