Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not good with kids or anyone really.

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not good with kids or anyone really.

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    I just did this for the first time today. I want to make sure it's not in fact a challenge for alpha, because lord knows I need all the help I can get.

He was super eager to please but was anxious the entire time. Next time I'll start feeding him when he's in a calmer state. Thanks girly.

And a huge thanks to @Baconator for cleaning up the thread. Lord knows I just should have kept my mouth shut, but for me, that is quite the challenge
    when you do it, take your time. With Miila I would wait a good 30 seconds between bites even. Just sort of messing with her so she knew she needed me. May not help in your situation but worth a try. You have gotten lots of great advice. With Miila I also find it is easier to control her craziness better by directing her, rather than just saying no, etc. such as if she s crazy bugging me, which she does often, I give her a spot (rug etc) to sit/stay. They don't seem to understand the no's as much as the command of what you do want.

Real Name
    Lois
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Max
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    First let me say, he is gorgeous. My opinion: he is 7 months old, just a baby. He will learn what's acceptable & what is not. When I was late with dinner, twice Max bit me in the arse. The first time I was shocked ( dinner was a half hour late). The 2nd time, I took him for a walk (he hates his walks) i walked him fast & long. He never did it again. That was 4 years ago.
    Max is 75lbs, we play hard together. Some weeks I have bruises on my arms & legs but, he is not trying to hurt me.
    Remi will learn, he loves you & wants to please you.

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twice View Post
    Otis plays VERY rough so I totally get where you're coming from. I've been knocked over, bruised and my hands chewed apart from his playing. I've been working with him on "no bite" and "easy" and he's slowly coming around but it's been anything but easy.

I don't know if I've been doing it right or not but it seems to be working. When Otis starts getting too rough I grab his head, blow in his face and say "easy". I don't yell at him I just calmly say easy. Blowing in his face seems to get his attention and I think the fact that he hates it helps a little. I don't let go of his face until I feel him relax.

I hope you can get him under control soon. I'm pulling for ya!
    I am going to try this. Hahaha. This just reminded me of the spray bottle. I've been using it to keep him away from the cats and the cats from going after him. I figured I might be able to use it for other things... like when he's doing things he shouldn't, and if he ignored a command to stop. For example, he sometimes likes to jump on the window seat, which scratches the paint.

One day I gave him a couple of sprays when he was on the part of the couch he shouldn't have been. Instead of doing what you would expect for him to do, he jumped down, came over to me, and put his mouth right on the end of the nozzle... and started licking it!!!!!!!

Oh, man. I would pull the trigger and he would just drink and drink. I couldn't stop laughing.

Of all the crap he puts me through, I will give him that. He cracks me the heck up.

Oogle Me on Google Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    "Lord knows I just should have kept my mouth shut, but for me, that is quite the challenge
    *NO*, you do not 'just have to keep your mouth shut', this is support for you, for me, and for others. If we dont talk about what it on our minds, and bring up our bully issues, then we have no support system, and we have no reason for a site like this.

PLEASE keep posting, the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - as long as the post isn't attacking other users, and is within the proper etiquette that is

(if ya disappear, I'll come up across that 'canal' and hunt you and Remi down with Hershey and Gizmo in tow, then you'll have licked and bulled over by my 2, while I'm getting head butted by Remi :p )

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

I'm late as usual to the party. I have a bit of a problem with Jack if you ever read some of the posts about him, you'll know I have a real problem. But he's mine, I saved him and we love him. He turned 8 in Sept. he's a large american/english mix He has panic aggression the worst kind of aggression I know of. With 5 dogs in the house you would think there is lots of commotion, not so as a matter of fact. We need to keep calm and little to know mother eeze talking. Any thing exciting or sudden can set him off. He's on the bite list as He has bitten someone visiting in my house years ago and has threatened every one who's been to the house since. or even walks past the house. He is aggressive without a doubt. But I handle him and keep him from any contact with any body but my husband and my in laws (ha) joke there. To go to the vet, the poor boy shakes to the bone, gets sedation and need's to be muzzled just to get his vaccines . He has lost control of bodily functions at the vet. busted his blood vessels in his eyes. It's a in and out of there for us. we can't take him to the pet shops or anything like that. I trimmed his nail's the other night while my hubs had him in a head lock while sitting on the floor. He would do some serious damage from his fear if let go. before I start, I give him the benefit of the doubt first as being gentle and kind. We can't have him exposed to anyone that visits the house. Never!!! we tried , we failed. more than once. many times, even had him leashed when regular company comes. he just watches and turn's in an instant. he can't handle it, that's all there is to it. we had a trainer years ago who charged us lots of $$$$ only to fire us and give up on him. Jack would hump him and not let go. he wouldn't be bribed or handled, he'd lay on the floor and do nothing if he wanted too. He's the most intelligent dog I've ever met. I 've been surrounded by dogs most of my life. He gives you sign's by looking at you. almost like he knows what you are thinking, i give a look and he will do what ever I look at for him to do, for instance. get an object , go to daddy. go to one of the dogs. he's no dummy Just aware of everything around him , or down the street. We have a fence and blocked at the bottom. he can't get out, it's locked and blocked. we have tried lots and lots and lots of things, believe me. I've learned my limitations of how and where he can be exposed. do I fear him. absolutely not. if he shows aggression to me, I give him my hand as an offering, like a show down or bluff, he's nipped, but knows I'm not afraid and I can handle him. hubs and I are the only ones that he can really trust. Trust yourself with Remi
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member Trod1's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tina
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Olive, Oscar
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry this has happened! In addition to all the advice you have been given about behavioral intervention I wonder if it would be worth talking to your vet about medicating him. If he is anxious or feeling an abnormally high amount of stress for whatever reason perhaps medication would be worth discussing. You must feel safe with your pet.
    In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Some very, very good advice posted here. Hopefully he will outgrow it, Vegas did. kind of a funny story...a little over 3 years ago I quit my job and was looking for a new one, Vegas was about 8 months old. I got called for an interview and the night before while playing with Vegas he lunged and bit my nose hard, it drew blood!!! I had to go to my first interview with a very red and teeth marked nose the next day. One boss interviewed me and wanted me to come back the next day for the other boss to interview me, by then I had 3 large scabs on my nose. I was so that I actually told my boss that I had a pup and he got my nose. I got the job working with the public, and started with scabs all over my nose.!! Hang in there, he is young This to shall pass!!!

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMARINO View Post
    Some very, very good advice posted here. Hopefully he will outgrow it, Vegas did. kind of a funny story...a little over 3 years ago I quit my job and was looking for a new one, Vegas was about 8 months old. I got called for an interview and the night before while playing with Vegas he lunged and bit my nose hard, it drew blood!!! I had to go to my first interview with a very red and teeth marked nose the next day. One boss interviewed me and wanted me to come back the next day for the other boss to interview me, by then I had 3 large scabs on my nose. I was so that I actually told my boss that I had a pup and he got my nose. I got the job working with the public, and started with scabs all over my nose.!! Hang in there, he is young This to shall pass!!!

That's my nose!! Otis and I were playing one time, he got rough (as usual) and jumped on my head. He landed right on my face, claws and all... tore a chunk of out the tip of my nose so deep I thought I needed stitches to close it. I didn't need stitches (thank God) but to this day I have a scar about half an inch long on the tip of my nose. Memories of rougher days with my ut-oh.

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracy Edwards Thompson
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

I have no additional advice for you, as what others have already said is very good! The best thing you can do is just try your hardest to remain calm and patient when he is having his panic attacks. He has scared you and hurt you, but remember that you are his Mama and he is your puppy, and that is just the way things should be!

I wish you the best of luck with Remi, and hope that in a month or two he will settle down. Having him neutered might have been the best thing for him, although if his panic attacks are symptoms of something else, it might yet be another condition the vet can help with. Discuss it with your trainer as well- S/he is part of your situation where I am not.

Hugs and love and prayers to you and your whole family, two legged and four.

Proud Mother of Winston Biscuit since October 30, 2010.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Oh how these bullies can be rough and tough. I wish I could offer more advice but I think it's all been offered up. He's just a pup still and will probably outgrow some of it but he does need to know now what's acceptable and what is not. Bulldogs are a very strong breed and they're not, generally speaking, this docile couch potato dogs people think they are. Hang in there with Remi, he'll come around with lots of structure, some need that more than others.

Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rudy and Mila
    Likes (Received)

A lot of mixed messages here. Another way to do the submissive thing is to gently roll him on his side, with his legs pointing away from you, and gently put your open hands on his shoulder and hip. He will probably lay there and submit right away. If he is submitting he will be looking away. Try this for short periods with the time getting longer with each time. He will most likely not be upset by you doing this. He will be happier when he understands you are the pack leader and there are limits as to what he can do. The hard part is telling the difference between puppy play and and older puppy seeking dominance. Rudy, at over 18 months, will occasionally try to become the pack leader. Most of the time he is, as the wife says, the cutest dog in the world.

Real Name
    Lois
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Max
    Likes (Received)

It's not mixed messages, it's different methods. That's what makes this forum great, listening & learning which method might work for your bully baby.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads