Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not good with kids or anyone really.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Not good with kids or anyone really.

Hey,
    I have no words of wisdom to offer you, but Blue gave me a bloody lip last week (at 8 weeks old). So yeah, it's frustrating.
    You're working with a trainer which is wonderful. You're also getting good advice here. Like you said, it's only been a month. Remi WILL get it!! In the interim, vent away!!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure I like the tone of some posters, so I won't even give them the satisfaction of a response. This is a forum of support systems for goodhearted bully owners, not a place to come and be judged. If we have a problem with our bullies, or just need a shoulder to lean on, it should be here! That said- lets move forward. @ModernFemme: you are doing all the right things, and I agree with some ofthe others, it is just time and persistance. I see it in Bogey- he gets so into his bone, or playing,and boom, he will lunge or nip, but taking him out of the situation has helped immensely. Look at our skin kids- they are all different and going thru the teenage years was a piece of cake for some, and a nightmare with others, yet they were raised the same way! I think each Bully is unique and it takes longer for some to "catch on" to proper behavior than others. Stay the course with your trainer, and don't let harsh critics deter you from coming here for help. You are a good mama!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Dog Park Attendant TonkaTruck28's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tonka
    Likes (Received)

I have no good advice either. We submit Tonka as well and it does seem to help. He's 1 now and still gets riled up buy he is easier to calm down. The best way I find is to sit him like a human on mu lap with my arms around him. He just lets out a big sigh and rests his chin on my arms eventually. When he was about 6-8 months he did make my cheek bleed with a high impact tooth to cheek hit and gave my mother in law a bleeding nose. I find people love to play rough with him an rile him up no matter what I say because of his breed and how cute he is... Its a curse!

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ModernFemme View Post
    Submitting worked awesome when he was younger, but now over 40 pounds, he is stronger than me I swear!!! I tried doing it recently and we were on the ground 10 minutes and he still wasn't submitting. It just makes him incredibly anxious. (Where the true issue lies)

One thing that works extremely well is putting him on the leash inside the house. He sits when I tell him to sit, he lays down when I tell him to lay down. It's just a reminder who's boss without getting physical and embarrassing myself. (hahahah)

My trainer agrees with this approach, but time will tell right? What I can say, despite my sadness that his nipping/rough playing isn't entirely cured, is that the frequency of these episodes is way less than they used to be. I guess my expectations somehow increased and that's why the fall was so rough!
    I am so glad to hear that Rumble is not the only dog that will lunge at his owners. We have been having the same problem although we have been lucky that we have been able to move out of the way before he gets to us. We have also tried to roll him over to make him submit and it does not seem to work. He will get right back up and try to lunge at us again. When you put him on a leash how long do you leave him on it? I would like to try this method on Rumble when he gets out of control and starts to lunge.

I live with 2 porkers!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

sending good thoughts, strength and patience your way.... it sounds like you are doing all the right things

I've been there with the head butting, and the brusing, and the getting knocked off my feet and with Bacon we quickly realized that he did not know his own strength... we are working the most on the "gentle" command right now in every situation we can: when he REALLY wants a toy that in our hand, or a treat, or making him stop at the peak of play... little by little it is making a difference

you clearly love him and I have no doubt that you'll get there together

Arts'y bulldog farts'y Become a 4 Paw Member ModernFemme's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiffykay06 View Post
    I am so glad to hear that Rumble is not the only dog that will lunge at his owners. We have been having the same problem although we have been lucky that we have been able to move out of the way before he gets to us. We have also tried to roll him over to make him submit and it does not seem to work. He will get right back up and try to lunge at us again. When you put him on a leash how long do you leave him on it? I would like to try this method on Rumble when he gets out of control and starts to lunge.
    It's hard to say. I keep him on the leash until he's doing what I say without question. This ranges from 5 minutes to half an hour in most cases. I also use the clicker/treat training at the same time if it makes sense, to show him I'm not trying to be a jerk, but i'm the boss, and here is what I expect from him.

It really takes their mind off of the trigger and brings them back down to reality. Good luck!

Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TonkaTruck28 View Post
    I have no good advice either. We submit Tonka as well and it does seem to help. He's 1 now and still gets riled up buy he is easier to calm down. The best way I find is to sit him like a human on mu lap with my arms around him. He just lets out a big sigh and rests his chin on my arms eventually. When he was about 6-8 months he did make my cheek bleed with a high impact tooth to cheek hit and gave my mother in law a bleeding nose. I find people love to play rough with him an rile him up no matter what I say because of his breed and how cute he is... Its a curse!
    That exhale is a good sign. Remi never gets to that point because he's so worked up and anxious. We are actually training him to learn how to relax. It's been interesting...

I believe everyone will find what works best for them and theirs. Bullys are not the same!

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

Submitting worked awesome when he was younger, but now over 40 pounds, he is stronger than me I swear!!! I tried doing it recently and we were on the ground 10 minutes and he still wasn't submitting. It just makes him incredibly anxious. (Where the true issue lies)

One thing that works extremely well is putting him on the leash inside the house. He sits when I tell him to sit, he lays down when I tell him to lay down. It's just a reminder who's boss without getting physical and embarrassing myself. (hahahah)

My trainer agrees with this approach, but time will tell right? What I can say, despite my sadness that his nipping/rough playing isn't entirely cured, is that the frequency of these episodes is way less than they used to be. I guess my expectations somehow increased and that's why the fall was so rough!
    Have you tried hand feeding? Again, I only know how to deal with aggression in Miila so not the same but hand feeding and making him earn each handful might help put you as pack leader. Perfect time to work on his training, like sit, shake, down etc. that was my turning point with her honestly. I could see in her eyes how she went from trying to run over me to knowing I WAS in charge. Might help you. I understand you not wanting to submit cuz Cutty isn't one I can really submit either. Very strong and has a crazy personality. The food might help tho.

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

Everyone please keep in mind when posting in forums to keep things positive and up beat. We don't need any Debbie Downers talking poorly or being rude to other members.

Real Name
    Jane
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Remington (Remi)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cali~jenn View Post
    Have you tried hand feeding? Again, I only know how to deal with aggression in Miila so not the same but hand feeding and making him earn each handful might help put you as pack leader. Perfect time to work on his training, like sit, shake, down etc. that was my turning point with her honestly. I could see in her eyes how she went from trying to run over me to knowing I WAS in charge. Might help you. I understand you not wanting to submit cuz Cutty isn't one I can really submit either. Very strong and has a crazy personality. The food might help tho.
    I just did this for the first time today. I want to make sure it's not in fact a challenge for alpha, because lord knows I need all the help I can get.

He was super eager to please but was anxious the entire time. Next time I'll start feeding him when he's in a calmer state. Thanks girly.

And a huge thanks to @Baconator for cleaning up the thread. Lord knows I just should have kept my mouth shut, but for me, that is quite the challenge

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Remi has only submitted a few times, but I don't think I've ever held him by his armpits. I'm going to have to try this. This action really stresses him out though and only escalates the issue so far for us.

And by a few times I mean, I wonder how much longer we have to stay like this until he submits. But we put him on the leash and he calms down immediately. It's weird. He walks very well on a leash, rarely any pulling, and listens amazingly to commands. But we have these current issues that we call triggers that turn him into a different dog that we're trying to fix here.
    If we have instances like this with Otis where he just gets out of control I put his leash on a door knob and then put it on him - he does not like being in trouble and will calm right down. I give it a few minutes and we try again - if it happens again back on the leash. Otis is very powerful and it can be scary at times but they dont know what they are doing is wrong unless we bring out the leash - he has gotten so much better and just like everything good that comes, it comes in time and from being consistant.

Keep us posted. Remi will come around. Hang in there.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Otis plays VERY rough so I totally get where you're coming from. I've been knocked over, bruised and my hands chewed apart from his playing. I've been working with him on "no bite" and "easy" and he's slowly coming around but it's been anything but easy.

I don't know if I've been doing it right or not but it seems to be working. When Otis starts getting too rough I grab his head, blow in his face and say "easy". I don't yell at him I just calmly say easy. Blowing in his face seems to get his attention and I think the fact that he hates it helps a little. I don't let go of his face until I feel him relax.

I hope you can get him under control soon. I'm pulling for ya!

For me, her name was Abby
    10/24/2011 - 11/23/1012

Obtaining a dog license should require more than writing a check.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads