Not good with kids or anyone really.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Boy have I been through the ringer tonight.

The short version is everything is fine. I'm laying on the bed with remi. He is being sweet playing with his toy. All of a sudden he just changes gears and totally lunges for my face. He bites (or headbutts with his teeth) right above my eye and then he starts gnawing at my hand and wrist. The pain from the blow was pretty bad and all I could really do was shield myself while my husband ran over and basically saved me. Blood is running down my face.

Naturally I cried. But I totally cried for a good half hour because I'm so frustrated that I can't put my guard down with my 7 month bully. He plays way too rough. It doesn't make any sense.. This is not what ive read about this breed.

A lot of you have followed my journey through his nipping and that is mostly done now. At least I thought so. This battle would was the worst yet and I'm just feeling incredibly discouraged. He's not aggressive. He is a bowling ball on legs.

I don't trust him. I obviously can't trust him. According to my trainer he really shouldn't be socializing right now. And most of all, no way is remi good for kids. Hell no.

I know this doesn't make any sense and is ridiculous to say because i know dogs dont think this way, but feeling super resentful. I give him everything I have to give and all he does is hurt me.

Super sad I guess. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for listening to yet another rant. Having a hard time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I totally understand. THese guys when they are young can be crazy! I dont know how to help but wanted to say I hope it gets better! I do not blame you for being frustrated and hurt!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jeez..I so wish I had the answer. I'm thinking you are not his pack leader. Even playing...there should be NO lunging for your face and never..ever drawing blood. I would take control back from him. No getting on the bed. You feed him by hand for bit. He needs to change how he looks at you. You can't be his chew toy. He needs boundaries. If he crosses them, there are consequences. Like no paying, like no cuddling on the bed. Let's get some others opinions.
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION].. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION].. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
OUCH! So sorry to hear you're not having a great time with the bully... they do get very energetic as puppies but they tend to slow down when they mature - about 2 years old or so. I think this is more a case of the dog just doesn't know his strength. It's like my husband's 70lb doberman trying to climb on my lap, bruising me all over with his nails.

I adopted Bullie when she was already 3 years old and the first full day she was with me, I opened the door to let her out and she bombrushed me from behind, sweeping my feet out from under me and I ended up butt-first onto the tile. I bruised up my hiney and my elbow but luckily did not hit my head. She did this several more times when we play fetch - she can't stop herself when she's running towards me and all 60lbs of her ends up knocking me down. I finally learned how to dodge the rocket, but I tell ya, I could have busted my head open tons of times. I couldn't imagine how she was as a puppy!

I don't really know a good advice to tell you to avoid getting hurt - maybe have him chase a ball all over the backyard for a long time to get his energies out so he'll be a bit more calm indoors. Then give him a whole slew of toys to play with. I don't agree with your trainer about socializing. A dog has to be socialized to learn his place and his strength. But yes, not a good idea to be alone with kids at this time until he learns to calm down a bit.

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
My heart goes out to you. I had similar experiences with Miss T at that age and I learned that this was often a demonstration of her anxiety. Kim would get bit, I got bit by accident like you but she would also mouth our hands and occasionally head but one of us. She has drawn blood on several occasions during her 6-10 month age range. I would make sure she had pottied very recently or I would take her out and often she really had to go. Or she was thirsty. Or sometimes just anxious for no apparent reason. Also I started gently pushing her off the bed and waited until she was calmly laying on the floor beside the bed to invite her back up to be with us. It is now over a year and this behaviour has totally stopped. I also make sure she has something interesting to chew each night while we are all on the bed watching TV. Some thing I always reminded myself- when things got bad and there was blood. 1. She is not being deliberately mean or nasty. 2. This is an expression of stress/ anxiety. 3. Dogs are not naturally vindictive or mean. 4. Bullies do not have a sense of their own strength when they are puppies so we must gently remind them that that are causing pain. 5. That all good things come from Mama and behaviour that is not acceptable will not be rewarded but puppies who decide to not listen will be isolated from the pack until they settle down and get with the program.

Miss T really hated being isolated from us for very long and she wanted to get back on the bed and chew her chew toy. As I said it is not an issue now but I have been exactly where you are and felt like a loser becuase my sweet Bully was behaving like a Tasmanian devil and it must be my fault. Try not to get discouraged. This too will pass. All of the advice you are getting here is very wise. Please do not blame yourself. This is a process. You will eventually get through to your little fur kid and he will be a sweet heart. Try not to take any of this personally. Remain calm and assertive and understand he doesn't know how to process anything he is feeling. It is up to us to patiently teach. Hugs to you.

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
IMHO you need to make sure you are the pack leader. Whenever he gets out of Hand and acts agressive, even if it is Overly agressive play, you may want to roll him on his back and put your hands over his armpits until he rolls his head to the side and looks away. This will show he is submitting. Rudy is not fixed yet, still gotta wait for The breeder to agree he is not a show dog. he has shown he wants dominance by head butting and climbing up on us in an overly assertive way etc. if he doesn't respond to off, and keeps pushing, I roll him over. We do it in a gentle assertive way. Rudy will now stay in the submissive position for 30 to 60 seconds (or until we let him Up). At 18 months I haven't had to do it in quite a while. I have been using this on my pooches for over 10 years. Learned this from my vet, that today celebrated 50 years since he opened his vet clinic.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wish I had great advice but if it were me I would submit instantly with behavior like this. They do calm down eventually, if that helps at all. :( you have good advice and the people I would tag have been so hold tight. Wonder if a behaviorist can help here? I know they r used with aggression type of things but might wanna call around and see what they think.

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Wish I had great advice but if it were me I would submit instantly with behavior like this. They do calm down eventually, if that helps at all. :( you have good advice and the people I would tag have been so hold tight. Wonder if a behaviorist can help here? I know they r used with aggression type of things but might wanna call around and see what they think.

Submitting worked awesome when he was younger, but now over 40 pounds, he is stronger than me I swear!!! I tried doing it recently and we were on the ground 10 minutes and he still wasn't submitting. It just makes him incredibly anxious. (Where the true issue lies)

One thing that works extremely well is putting him on the leash inside the house. He sits when I tell him to sit, he lays down when I tell him to lay down. It's just a reminder who's boss without getting physical and embarrassing myself. (hahahah)

My trainer agrees with this approach, but time will tell right? What I can say, despite my sadness that his nipping/rough playing isn't entirely cured, is that the frequency of these episodes is way less than they used to be. I guess my expectations somehow increased and that's why the fall was so rough!

OP
ModernFemme

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
IMHO you need to make sure you are the pack leader. Whenever he gets out of Hand and acts agressive, even if it is Overly agressive play, you may want to roll him on his back and put your hands over his armpits until he rolls his head to the side and looks away. This will show he is submitting. Rudy is not fixed yet, still gotta wait for The breeder to agree he is not a show dog. he has shown he wants dominance by head butting and climbing up on us in an overly assertive way etc. if he doesn't respond to off, and keeps pushing, I roll him over. We do it in a gentle assertive way. Rudy will now stay in the submissive position for 30 to 60 seconds (or until we let him Up). At 18 months I haven't had to do it in quite a while. I have been using this on my pooches for over 10 years. Learned this from my vet, that today celebrated 50 years since he opened his vet clinic.

Remi has only submitted a few times, but I don't think I've ever held him by his armpits. I'm going to have to try this. This action really stresses him out though and only escalates the issue so far for us.

And by a few times I mean, I wonder how much longer we have to stay like this until he submits. But we put him on the leash and he calms down immediately. It's weird. He walks very well on a leash, rarely any pulling, and listens amazingly to commands. But we have these current issues that we call triggers that turn him into a different dog that we're trying to fix here.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hey,
I have no words of wisdom to offer you, but Blue gave me a bloody lip last week (at 8 weeks old). So yeah, it's frustrating.
You're working with a trainer which is wonderful. You're also getting good advice here. Like you said, it's only been a month. Remi WILL get it!! In the interim, vent away!! :hug:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I am not sure I like the tone of some posters, so I won't even give them the satisfaction of a response. This is a forum of support systems for goodhearted bully owners, not a place to come and be judged. If we have a problem with our bullies, or just need a shoulder to lean on, it should be here! That said- lets move forward. [MENTION=6280]ModernFemme[/MENTION]: you are doing all the right things, and I agree with some ofthe others, it is just time and persistance. I see it in Bogey- he gets so into his bone, or playing,and boom, he will lunge or nip, but taking him out of the situation has helped immensely. Look at our skin kids- they are all different and going thru the teenage years was a piece of cake for some, and a nightmare with others, yet they were raised the same way! I think each Bully is unique and it takes longer for some to "catch on" to proper behavior than others. Stay the course with your trainer, and don't let harsh critics deter you from coming here for help. You are a good mama!

TonkaTruck28

Mar 19, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I have no good advice either. We submit Tonka as well and it does seem to help. He's 1 now and still gets riled up buy he is easier to calm down. The best way I find is to sit him like a human on mu lap with my arms around him. He just lets out a big sigh and rests his chin on my arms eventually. When he was about 6-8 months he did make my cheek bleed with a high impact tooth to cheek hit and gave my mother in law a bleeding nose. I find people love to play rough with him an rile him up no matter what I say because of his breed and how cute he is... Its a curse!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.