Please Don't Feed the Bears!!!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We have a neighbor behind us that has never liked our dogs which is fine...not everybody likes dogs, they aren't (our dogs) outside much so I don't worry. He mostly just ignores them. Well lately he has been having another man at his house quite a bit...and sometimes this other man is there when our neighbor isn't.

A couple days ago Jordan was giving me greif saying that if I had Arby's I should have shared. I had no idea what he was talking about then he told me there were curly fries all over our backyard. Being suspicious of food being tossed into our yard (and being paranoid it was tampered with) and with the mindset that the dogs didn't need that stuff anyway, I went outside and picked up every last little fry and threw them away. I was miffed that someone tossed food into our yard but I tried to let it go.

Well today I let Tank and Stella outside and went back in to switch some laundry (our laundry room overlooks the backyard) while they did their thing...I heard them start barking like maniacs so I looked outside and saw our neighbors guest walking away from our yard and the dogs were eating something on the ground.

I put my shoes on and high tailed it over to the neighbors and saw the guy in the driveway...asked him what he just fed them and told him it's not appropriate to feed other people's pets. Our dogs are overweight right now and obviously not starving! He was smiling the whole time and said he had given them french toast....grrr.....I kept my ladylike demeanor and just griped him out for feeding them and said in the future he needs to refrain from giving them ANYTHING! :cursing:

I am so p*ssed. What is wrong with people? Maybe I am overreaccting but damn....and now I am nervous that he put something on the food that he tossed them...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY :poo: - I would be so upset and would not have been lady like in any way shape or form. Knowing your neighbor does not like your bullies -- I would be concerned something was tainted. keep them close and trust your gut.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
WT? What is wrong with people?? How rude, if you don't like dogs, that is fine, that is your right , sad as that is, but as long as your dogs are in your own backyard, and not on their property, and they are not disturbing your neighbours by barking, or going on their property, then they do not have any right to infringe on your right either. Your backyard is your private property, and your dogs have every right to be out there, running in their own yard. The neighbour also has no right to feed anything to your dogs without your permission. How do they know what is safe for your dog, they could have allergies, or a special diet, or like mine, they can't have any big, or hard dog treats or cookies, because the don't chew , they inhale and swallow their food, so they could choke. I would be pissed too if someone just fed my guys anything they felt like without asking me first, and especially foods that are not good for them, it sounds like he's throwing over their leftover foods, instead of putting it in the garbage, your pets are not your neighbours garbage bins. I would go over once and ask them nicely to not feed your dogs, tell them they are really sensitive dogs, and they are on a special diet, and can't have any people or table scraps. Tell them it's your backyard, and your private property, and they do not have the right to throw things or food over in your yard. If they continue to do it, then I would look into if you have some legal recourse to make them stop.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I would be livid if anyone of my neighbors whom I like just tossed food over my fence for them to eat. Now your neighbor not liking your dogs would be very alarming to me. I would be on alert of them being poisoned but I'm a bit paranoid like that. If it happens again I would call the police and report so that it's on file. You may have to be on alert for quite a bit now. If it stops it can start again and the next time they might not be as lucky. Not saying your neighbor would poison them but since he's made it clear that he doesn't like them them well...............

theparrisfive

Sep 16, 2011
Northwest Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We had a neighbor do this to us. She was throwing crap over our privacy fence. We ended up involving the cops due to her being known to lace food and give it to neighbor dogs.

Hopefully he was just attempting to be nice to your dogs.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok im going to play devils advocate here. While i agree you shouldn't do this he may have just been being "kind" . People who like dogs but aren't very dog knowledgeable won't understand what the big deals is. He may just have been trying to be nice to them.My grandparents had a dalmation who made daily rounds to the neighbors for treats and they all fed her even though she was 15 lbs overweight. Please not this was many years ago and they lived in a small neighbor hood in the country. Yes Maggie was allowed to roam :/ but they had the same neighbors for 20+years so they weren't worried about poisining

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I think you were pretty polite and I would like to think that maybe the neighbors houseguest was just being kind to the dogs. But I might have added that bullys have so many allergies so their diet is restricted.."thanks! but no thanks." kind of reaction. But I'm known to fly off the handle for just about anything especially if already irritated about the curly fries. (gross soggy curly fries in the backyard). So I doubt I would have been as polite as I should be if put in the same situation.

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
Kudos to you for being ladylike - I cannot say I would of been as nice! Up one side and down the other would of been me, with a few profanity words for good measure. I would stand out there with the kids from now on, you have no idea what this guy might have done to the food, and again, maybe he was being nice? Sorry - don't want to make you paranoid - I'm just the type that I don't trust anyone with my dogs, these are my kids, and I can be a little protective...

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Don't be too upset, he might not have meant any harm. I have 2 mastiffs & a bulldog behind me, I give them cookies ( of course I asked & got permission). He probably doesn't know proper doggy etiquette.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I agree with [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] & [MENTION=7871]Lulu belle[/MENTION] , I like to judge people by their intentions first, but then if their ignorance exceeds all reasonable attempts to educate, then pull out the meanest witch broom from the closet, baseball bat or glock.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I would have been upset too! And if asking politely not to do this did not work, I would announce to them that ANY waste products that are pooped out as a result of their "kindness" would be promptly scooped up and delivered to their doorstep sans the poop bag! Tee heee!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Kindness or malicious ... still not right for somebody to throw food into your back yard!!

At Thanksgiving the house next door to us was finally sold and we "think" the family who moved in has two little kids. Difficult to say because I've never actually seen or heard them playing out in the back yard ... but when it comes to the summer I will be watching closely to make sure the kids understand the correct etiquette with other people's dogs!!!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
French Toast !!!! Listen, I would have been fcrawling on the ground and fighting Tank & Stella for those strips of French Toast.!! Did it have maple syrup ..? Hmmmmmmm maaaaplee syyruuuuup...... im hungry again...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would be furious, and would be watching like a hawk from now on. No telling what they may put in the food. I would definitely call the cops on them.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.