Is Luca too big for his age ?

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
My boy is 5 months old today and weighs in at over 37 pounds. He seems to fit his massive frame but a lot of charts I see on Internet say he is over weight. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 193

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
No idea.. just wanted to say i adore his coloring and face. gorgeous bully you got there.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Could you PM me a link to one of these bully weight charts..... Ive never seen one for bullies. I do know they grow at vastly different rates but I dont know that there is any kind of average rate.

whitebronc

Jan 2, 2013
So Cal
Bulldog(s) Names
Ike
Ike is 32 pounds @ 4 months taken at the Vets on Monday. He is not overweight. Luca looks just fine! and by the way i love the phantom of the opera mask on him! :)

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
I know Rumble just turned 4 months and he is 35 pounds! The vet said he looked good and you can still feel his ribs so she said not to worry because they are still growing. I love Luca's face by the way!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So precious!!! He's still a pup, I would not be too concerned at this stage. Unless he was downright obese. A photo topside would be a better way for us to tell though, and a side view standing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

OP
K

Kross225

Dec 4, 2012
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Luca Brasi
I had a feeling those charts were nonsense. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 153

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I had a feeling those charts were nonsense. Thanks everyone.

It's not necessarily nonsense. An AKC dog is supposed to follow the AKC breed standards if you want to show him. And it's a general guideline for the average bulldog. But a lot of dogs don't fall in the "average" side of things. A better way to gauge your dog's growth is to get the charts for his dam and sire and his grandparents. This would give you a better idea of what can be expected from your own specific dog.

But, by the picture you showed, your dog looks in good shape.

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
He looks good to me. Mine is a little larger than average, taller. He weigh @ 75lbs

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
Lola was a big girl at that age too but now she has slowed down. I love your bully's face it looks like a straight line was drawn down his face and one side is color one side white very unique!

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
[MENTION=7837]bcarro45[/MENTION]-that is a little bully but some just are on the smaller side naturally so as long as the vet says your bully is ok then I wouldn't be to worried!

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
Chunky is 6 months and 43 lbs, but he has a waist, as long as his shape is healthy, then I'm sure he's fine!!!! Some just get big quick, we switched him adult about a month and a half ago, so that he didn't grow too fast for his bones! but he still gains 3lbs a week, my big handsome boy <3 <3 <3

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
All bullies grow at different rates.....my last bully topped the charts full grown at just over 30 pounds. She was tall and lean. We got Gracie almost a month ago and she was just under 5 pounds. Now she's over 16 (thanks to a good diet made up of homemade kibble found in recipes thread). The Vet says she's right on track. It depends on how he/she looks. If they look fat, they're fat. Lol

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.