Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I would like to get your opinions. I am seriously considering the possibility of a younger brother for Miss Tallulah for the spring or summer. I think two Bullies would be just that much more to love and while it will be more work i just think there would be lots more joy and fun to go around. Is this a good idea? Or am I just being a hopeless romantic? I get conflicting opinions from people I talk to. Most of my friends think it is not a good idea to bring home another dog and that dogs are happier being the only dog in the household. They think I am crazy to want to get another Bully and that Miss Tallulah would be sad that she was no longer the only dog and had to share me. Do you think Bullies generally are ok with the company of other Bulldogs or do they thrive most by being the only dog in the home? I would never want to do anything that would compromise her contentment.

Tallulah is sweet and a bit shy in new situations. She is friendly and likes meeting dogs but hangs back a little at the off leash dog park until she is sure the dogs are not going to be unstable. Some of them can be pretty hyper and she sticks very close to me until she is sure they are not going to knock her over or get aggressive. I would call her friendly but cautious. She is stable and well adjusted. She is very friendly with people and children. Especially with our grandchildren or any young toddlers- she is very gentle and attentive to them.

Do you think she is too young to introduce another dog into the family- she will be 1 1/2 this summer - if we do bring in a new puppy should we wait another year? Is a young puppy the best way to go? I would also take in a Bully from a rescue if the consensus was that this would be the best option but there isn't a bulldog rescue in this province and there doesn't seem to be any support for out of province or out of state rescue adoptions.

I apologize for the meandering post but really look forward to hearing what you think.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So much of this depends on the dog, some are happy being the only dog but
many (more in my opinion) are very happy with a playmate. From what you've
said in this post and previous posts, Tallulah would be a great candidate for a
brother or sister! If rescuing, no dominate females & have them meet on neutral
ground, not your home and see how things go. Puppies are wonderful as long as
you are ready for the 'growing pains' lol In your situation, I think a puppy would
be ideal as I think Tallulah would be a loving big sister maybe even 'mothering' one.
Maybe an older puppy already potty trained, crate trained & knows basic commands.

I say, "Get one!" Much love...Carol

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Gizmo was two when we rescued Hershey who was 14 weeks (birth defect) - they get along fine now...but you can tell there are times when she looks at me and her eyes say '*Sigh*, Daddy, I remember the good old times, when it was just you mommy and me, and I didnt have my jowls all chewed up by that puppy, when we could pop in the car and go places and all of my toys arent destroyed' we dont go out and about nearly as much with two bullies, as we did one, and double the expenses of monthly preventatives, vet bills etc. And, Gizmo was totally house broken, and has free range of the house, Hershey doesnt have that freedom yet, he still decides to pee on his one pillow (just did it last week) but if he is in his Xpen, we havent had an accident in quite awhile.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will tag some of our mutily bully household members.... I say get one!

Nitschke was 18 months when we got Banks... she is and was a VERY differnet personality than he was and they played weel MOST of the time. The thing you want to do is choose the next baby based on personality and demor NOT overall cuteness -- try to balance the personality to Tooley.
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] @cali-baker

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I am in favor of having 2 Bulldogs, or at least 2 dogs. They always have a buddy, someone to play with. What one doesn't think of the other one will. They play and exercise each other. We are picking up Ruggles' little brother tomorrow!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I got our 2 bullies a month apart so they have grown up together. You will teach them to love eachother and you will all live happily ever after!
It's as simple as that...hehe *if you make it that way

Good luck with whatever you choose!

I vote to rescue!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
To young for another, oh heck no in my opinion. Just the perfect age. She's had 1.5 years to bond well with you too. We rescued Jack 3 weeks after we got Wilson so they were almost 9 weeks and 12 weeks old. I knew they'd bond with each other more than that would individually with us. Then we got Emma a year later at 8 weeks old. They all adjusted pretty fast.

Do your friends that think that dogs are happier being the only one, just have 1 dog or do they have none? I personally think dogs are happier with two. Guess it depends on how much time you can give them both too. IF Tallulah is happy, playful and content then all's good with her being an only dog. But think of how two dogs just love to play? Doesn't get much better than that.

The choice is an individual choice. As far as it being a puppy or a rescue, either is good. A rescue just really needs to be the right fit for all.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I say get another! When we adopted Gio he was just over a year and half, then just one month later we adopted my frenchie Diva who had just turned 4 at the time. Gio was a great "single" dog, but he had so much fun playing with other dogs while on our walks so we thought he would love having a sibling. He loved Diva right away, but it took Diva about a month to start to really enjoy Gio. They are so close now, they nap with their heads resting on each other, play together, wrestle and just are obsessed with each other. We just adopted our 9 year old Princess two and half weeks ago, Gio has already accepted her and plays with her, it will take some time but she is getting better everyday. Adding another one is so rewarding, nothing better than watching two bulldogs playing together!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The more the merrier, I always say, and she is at a good age to bring another in.

OP
Tooleysmom

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to share your experiences and you wise advice. It looks like a little fur brother is in Tooleybear's future. She is well adjusted and we have a lovely bond. So a puppy Bully brother should be something for all of us to love and welcome into the family. I was having doubts because every time I mentioned getting a puppy brother, my friends ( who have one or none ) looked at me as if I were crazy. But my heart said two was right . I now understand some of the challenges. The financial ones aren't impossible because Kim and I are at a time when all the children are grown and doing well. It is a big step but one I feel I am ready to take on. You have all been so generous. Thank you! thank you! I am so fortunate to have found EBN and all of you. No judgements just lots of support. I know how lucky I am to be here. :yes:

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would get a puppy just so they can grow together! I knew a puppy was right for Lola and not a grown bully because she doesnt get along to well with adult dogs but does really well with puppies so I thought a puppy wouldn't take Lola's dominate position so they will find their groove and not be so set in their ways.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
[MENTION=4570]Tooleysmom[/MENTION] - I am a big believer in 2 or more LOL I love watching Diesel & Molly play together they rely on each other for comfort and support they love and protect each other and of course they adore their mommy :) When I had the rescue in the house he even joined in the play. It's amazing how bulldogs love to be with each other, at least in my experience! I sometimes get to babysit bulldogs for the breeder I got my dogs from and have had as many as 9 bulldogs in the house at one time and it always amazes me how they group together for play!

I say getting another bullie baby is always a good idea, just make sure to make a smooth introduction and set real clear rules, boundaries and limitations and be consistent and things will be great!! good luck and keep us updated :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Sorry I'm late to the post. all I have to say is. Don't you have that baby bully yet??? what are you waiting for? Christmas LOL

OP
Tooleysmom

Tooleysmom

Community Veteran
Mar 24, 2012
Winnipeg Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Tallulah and Buster
@Tooleysmom - I am a big believer in 2 or more LOL I love watching Diesel & Molly play together they rely on each other for comfort and support they love and protect each other and of course they adore their mommy :) When I had the rescue in the house he even joined in the play. It's amazing how bulldogs love to be with each other, at least in my experience! I sometimes get to babysit bulldogs for the breeder I got my dogs from and have had as many as 9 bulldogs in the house at one time and it always amazes me how they group together for play!

I say getting another bullie baby is always a good idea, just make sure to make a smooth introduction and set real clear rules, boundaries and limitations and be consistent and things will be great!! good luck and keep us updated :)
you have been a real inspiration to me and one of the reasons I started thinking about is. You seemed to have so much joy with wall to wall Bullies. I have contacted Tallulah's breeder and we will be having a serious talk after she returns from California. She knows Tallulah well from all the emails and photos and updates and I am sure she will make sure the new puppy compliments Tallulah.

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
We just adopted a 2nd Bully and Olive is 1. I think she enjoys Oscar,her new brother who is 18 mos, much of the time. There will definitely be a period of adjustment for Tallulah but then she will likely love having a playmate. if you rescue, try and get as much information as you can about temperament, activity level etc, It will help you make the best choice for your next Bully. Good Luck

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.