Walking

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
Me and my roommate go on a 1.5 mile trail walk with our dogs at least 3 times a week, usually more often and always a daily walk around the apartment complex. I'm not too concerned with my EB around the complex but I do sometimes get concerned for him on the 1.5 mile trail walk. He used to do GREAT, he wouldn't even be tired after and would still want to play when we got home. I feel like lately he is having more troubles completing the walk.
Idk if I'm just over thinking it due to reading stories about horrible things happening, or if he really is having a problem since he's getting older now. He always gets as much water as he wants after every walk we go on. And he has no problem playing with other dogs for hours on end, he can play rough longer than we walk.
Anyone have any tips on when to know your bully has had enough? And should there be certain things I should look out for while on these walks?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I think as long as you bring water with you and it's not too hot out, he should be fine! It's really just the overheating you have to worry about. Matilda goes flat when she's too tired to continue. He'll let you know :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That mile and a half is really too much for a bully especially when it gets hot. be very careful when it gets in the mid 70's and higher as you are taking a big change of a heatstroke, that they may not live through.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Since you live in Texas like David does, I think his advice is spot on. :)

OP
brileythebully

brileythebully

Jan 17, 2013
Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Briley
It's been between 70-80 here in the afternoon. I won't take him out if its over 80, instead ill do 2 laps around the complex at night when it's cooler.
He seems to really enjoy the walk, and it usually tires him out. At least enough for him to lay around and not get into everything out of boredom. Since he enjoys it, I don't want to take the walks away from him causing him to be bored. But at the same time I don't want to put him in harms way. I'm kind of stuck on what to do, and if something were to go wrong (god forbid) I wouldn't know what to do in that kind of situation.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Careful observation of his breathing patterns will give you a clue if he's having a hard time breathing. My Bullie can't last a mile. She's 4. It's either she overheats or her paws get too sore. My Angus can go forever... Well, I give up before he does. But then he's only a year old.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you do not have to take the walks totally away... just lessen them when the temps or humdity is higher

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.