struggle with weaning..

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hi all .. I dont know where to post this topic its nothing to do with EB but i need help and experience of weaning.

A long story short(ish) .. My brother in law is a manager of a shop and in the warehouse he found a mother cat and 5 kittens under a pallet. The Mum is not microchipped and nobody has claimed her. She hadnt eaten for weeks except for there was a dead demolished squirrel.. She was severely dehydrated and kittens were on their last legs. She had given birth out the warehouse as all the slime etc was still there where they were found. They were approx 4 weeks old when they were found last week so had been there all that time.

My sister and i are taking care of the mum cat and kittens so they have warmth and love and help rather than being in a shelter or anything which can lead to diseases bein spread stress bla bla NOTE: We are not keeping any of them they are all going to new loving homes we have lined up for them including mum. They are all coming along nicely mum cat is eating but vets said last week we had to try to wean them as mums teats were nearly dry from starving dehydration and stress. For a week we have been putting kittens to bowl of food.. ENcouraging with food on our finger and redirecting them when they go to suckle but are having no luck .. We think maybe as theyv relied on mum so much theyr not taking to the idea of weaning very well.

I kno its nothing to do with EBs but we are struggling and i thought maybe some of you can share your experiences of how to wean pups etc as we have no idea. Are we allowed to smother food on the teats does this help? Or not cause it could take away mums scent? Oh lord we are clueless.

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
No advice, or clue here, but just wanted to good luck and how sweet of you to take them into your home until they can be placed in their furrever homes!

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
It has been forever since I had to deal with feeding kittens from a rescue litter, oh boy. I do remember getting a little syringe, without the needle, and feeding the kittens their formula with it. Keep a washcloth handy, as it gets messy.

I rather think 4-5 weeks is a bit young to try to get kittens to eat real food. I found this webpage that can help you with them; it is designed to help with orphaned kittens. Good Luck~!

http://www.2ndchance.info/orphankitten.htm

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thankyou so much for that web page i thort it seemed young to wean but the vet said instead of syringe then wean to food go straight to trying them with food. That web page is brilliant help thanks

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thankyou so much for that web page i thort it seemed young to wean but the vet said instead of syringe then wean to food go straight to trying them with food. That web page is brilliant help thanks

Put the food in a blender with goats milk and a smudge of yogurt, to make mush, good luck, let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.