Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cammie biting

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cammie and Gunny
    Likes (Received)

Default Cammie biting

So today Cammie wouldn't go potty outside. My girlfriend brought her back inside and Cammie booked it towards Gunny. In the middle of all this my 4yr old son was siting there and Cammie bit and scratched his face. Gunny was so scared he ran shivering in the corner.

I'm about to give up on Cammie and find her a new home. What can we do so we can keep her?

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cammie biting

Patience! They can def be overwwhelming. What issues are you having???

mabel lou

Awe i am sorry that happened, maybe you could start off by having a leash on him so you have a little more control over him as he enters the house. That is what i would do first. He might slow down some so you can at least direct him with what you want him to do. I try one thing at a time and repeat it like a million times while i am thinking of what i would like to do next in regards to him understanding what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. I hope things calm down for you and your dogs.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Pups will be pups and they all love to bite. Just be patient and it will get better with some training on both sides.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Hans Gruber
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bacon
    Likes (Received)

How old is Cammie at this point?

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

Oh please don't give up on her! What you are experiencing is something ALL of us with pups are going through! There have been at least 5 threads in the past week! These dogs are very headstrong and puppy biting is very prominent from 8weeks to about 6 months, some even longer. It is going to take all you have in patience and persistance to win out. But,you WILL win out if you stay the calm course. I know how hard it is with a youngster around. My son once got 4 stitches in his face from a 10 week old pup! Although they seem aggressive, it is really just their way of letting out some puppy energy. I was finding I was losing patience with Bogey last week- and his behavior worsened. So, I took a deep breath and calmed MYSELF down. It is starting to show with him. He shows much less growling and whining when he is redirected. I agree with @mabel lou about keeping a short leash on him to tug him off with a sharp no when he lunges. You may have to crate him a little more when your child is around, and ALWAYS stay a step ahead of him. I can see it in Bogeys eyes when his is about to turn satanic! I gear myself up, warn anyone around to be aware, and then I try to get his attention on something else quickly. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Biggest thing is to not give up! There is no telling that Gunny won't go through the same stage. Good luck and if all else fails, you may want to consult a professional. It will be the best $$$ spent, trust me!! Good luck!!!
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by usmc03grunt View Post
    So today Cammie wouldn't go potty outside. My girlfriend brought her back inside and Cammie booked it towards Gunny. In the middle of all this my 4yr old son was siting there and Cammie bit and scratched his face. Gunny was so scared he ran shivering in the corner.

I'm about to give up on Cammie and find her a new home. What can we do so we can keep her?
    I learned in puppy class that original listerine works wonders. It is. Not harmful and worked within about a week! Duchess is10 mo the now and doesnt chew or nip and hasn't since about 4 months. Get the listerine bottle let her recognize it, tell her no, rub listerine on whatever she isn't suppose to chew and then in her mouth on her gums and tounge again re-enforcing "no". Then get her Interested in a toy. They hate the taste just as bad as we do and I swear this worked within a week! To this day she doesn't even attempt to chew or. It's anything but toys. I urge you to give this a try!

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

Reading through your old posts I have to assume Gunny is the puppy puppy and Cammie is slightly older correct???? If so has she ever done something like this before??? Did she actually go after your son or was it more of a not listening running through the house "ur in my way kid" type of thing??? I ask it like that bcuz I've been run over by a friends dog n ended up with a gouge in my face n a busted lip (big dog lol) she had no intention of hurting me she's just burley n doesn't listen!!!!!! I agree with the leash suggestion either way it happened u need to go back to basics with her regain dominance!!!! Two trips to potty on the leash (after being off for almost 6 months) n my baby comes as soon as she's called n walks like a little lady into the house!!!! Sometimes the simplest things do wonders good luck to ur family I hope poor Cammie can stay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by porkysmamma; 02-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
    Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

Bulldog(s) Names
    Cammie and Gunny
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by porkysmamma View Post
    Reading through your old posts I have to assume Gunny is the puppy puppy and Cammie is slightly older correct???? If so has she ever done something like this before??? Did she actually go after your son or was it more of a not listening running through the house "ur in my way kid" type of thing??? I ask it like that bcuz I've been run over by a friends dog n ended up with a gouge in my face n a busted lip (big dog lol) she had no intention of hurting me she's just burley n doesn't listen!!!!!! I agree with the leash suggestion either way it happened u need to go back to basics with her regain dominance!!!! Two trips to potty on the leash (after being off for almost 6 months) n my baby comes as soon as she's called n walks like a little lady into the house!!!! Sometimes the simplest things do wonders good luck to ur family I hope poor Cammie can stay

CAMMIE is the older of the two. The fist we had. We have had problems with her since getting Gunny last Friday. She won't listen, biting has increased between her and Gunny during play. Some say that she is trying to dominate Gunny cuz he's the new one in the house and that it will go away but the aggressiveness between the two is increasing. Gunny gets tired a lot during the day and goes to lay somewhere and Cammie still goes at him and won't leave him alone. We go on walks and she pulls, doesn't come when u ask and ignores all commands. I take her on long walks and play and notice a small difference but as soon as she sees Gunny she wants at him.

Unfortunately I'm having a trainer come tomorrow. Nothing is working. Suuuuuuuuxxxxxx!

Doggie Boutique Owner porkysmamma's Avatar
    Real Name
    Alicia
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Porkchop aka Porky
    Likes (Received)

The trainer is prolly a good idea I don't really know of anyone who got puppies so close in age that weren't littler mates or else id tag someone for u buttttt it sounds to me like she's jealous of Gunny sibling rivalry n the disobedience is her way of rebelling against u guys!!!! It's by far not the same at all but my fiancé n I each have something special we do with our girl!!! Perhaps it's something u n ur girlfriend can do with Cammie n gunny!!!! Like u said she seems better when u walk her so maybe that can be ur special thing with her n when she comes in keep her on the leash until she's mellow n doesn't try to go after gunny!!!! If it takes 4 hours stand ur ground lol but the trainer will know more than me (hopefully anyways lol) so let us know what they say good luck all of ur children r adorable btw lol

Never knew what our lives were missing until we found our princess

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

While it is possible (however remote) that the problem is with Cammie, it is more likely about her human pack leaders. Integrating a new dog into a pack isn't always like an episode of a Disney special. It's often challenging and darned inconvenient. I'm going to guess that Cammie needs strong leadership and structure and discipline. I would also guess that Gunny needs be empowered with more self esteem. If he's fearful and cowering, he's making himself a target for Cammie's "pack takeover". Her behavior is the outcome of a problem - not the problem itself. I'm glad you are involving a trainer. Hopefully, he/she is knowledgeable in the matters of pack heirarchy and can suggest some leadership exercises for the humans that include walking both dogs together.

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Im having a similar issue with Ace. All will be going reasonably well and then he gets mesmerized and goes after Gabe the maltese. When he is really intent and intense a simple loud No will not deter and I must step in physically to redirect or stand between them. The maltese has become terrorized and is afraid of him. Sometimes a loud no will work but on those times when he is mesmerized and intent nothing but physically stepping in will work. It can be very exasperating and tiring. I admit there have been times that I have thought I made a mistake getting him but I'm attached to him now and he to me. So I'm going to hang in there and continue "by any means necessary" Hopefully, and I think it will, the day will come and you will look back on this and laugh and be thankful that you kept the dog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads