Cammie biting

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
So today Cammie wouldn't go potty outside. My girlfriend brought her back inside and Cammie booked it towards Gunny. In the middle of all this my 4yr old son was siting there and Cammie bit and scratched his face. Gunny was so scared he ran shivering in the corner.

I'm about to give up on Cammie and find her a new home. What can we do so we can keep her?

M

mabel lou

Awe i am sorry that happened, maybe you could start off by having a leash on him so you have a little more control over him as he enters the house. That is what i would do first. He might slow down some so you can at least direct him with what you want him to do. I try one thing at a time and repeat it like a million times while i am thinking of what i would like to do next in regards to him understanding what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. I hope things calm down for you and your dogs.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Pups will be pups and they all love to bite. Just be patient and it will get better with some training on both sides.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Oh please don't give up on her! What you are experiencing is something ALL of us with pups are going through! There have been at least 5 threads in the past week! These dogs are very headstrong and puppy biting is very prominent from 8weeks to about 6 months, some even longer. It is going to take all you have in patience and persistance to win out. But,you WILL win out if you stay the calm course. I know how hard it is with a youngster around. My son once got 4 stitches in his face from a 10 week old pup! Although they seem aggressive, it is really just their way of letting out some puppy energy. I was finding I was losing patience with Bogey last week- and his behavior worsened. So, I took a deep breath and calmed MYSELF down. It is starting to show with him. He shows much less growling and whining when he is redirected. I agree with [MENTION=6198]mabel lou[/MENTION] about keeping a short leash on him to tug him off with a sharp no when he lunges. You may have to crate him a little more when your child is around, and ALWAYS stay a step ahead of him. I can see it in Bogeys eyes when his is about to turn satanic! I gear myself up, warn anyone around to be aware, and then I try to get his attention on something else quickly. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Biggest thing is to not give up! There is no telling that Gunny won't go through the same stage. Good luck and if all else fails, you may want to consult a professional. It will be the best $$$ spent, trust me!! Good luck!!!

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So today Cammie wouldn't go potty outside. My girlfriend brought her back inside and Cammie booked it towards Gunny. In the middle of all this my 4yr old son was siting there and Cammie bit and scratched his face. Gunny was so scared he ran shivering in the corner.

I'm about to give up on Cammie and find her a new home. What can we do so we can keep her?

I learned in puppy class that original listerine works wonders. It is. Not harmful and worked within about a week! Duchess is10 mo the now and doesnt chew or nip and hasn't since about 4 months. Get the listerine bottle let her recognize it, tell her no, rub listerine on whatever she isn't suppose to chew and then in her mouth on her gums and tounge again re-enforcing "no". Then get her Interested in a toy. They hate the taste just as bad as we do and I swear this worked within a week! To this day she doesn't even attempt to chew or. It's anything but toys. I urge you to give this a try!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Reading through your old posts I have to assume Gunny is the puppy puppy and Cammie is slightly older correct???? If so has she ever done something like this before??? Did she actually go after your son or was it more of a not listening running through the house "ur in my way kid" type of thing??? I ask it like that bcuz I've been run over by a friends dog n ended up with a gouge in my face n a busted lip (big dog lol) she had no intention of hurting me she's just burley n doesn't listen!!!!!! I agree with the leash suggestion either way it happened u need to go back to basics with her regain dominance!!!! Two trips to potty on the leash (after being off for almost 6 months) n my baby comes as soon as she's called n walks like a little lady into the house!!!! Sometimes the simplest things do wonders :) good luck to ur family I hope poor Cammie can stay :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
usmc03grunt

usmc03grunt

Nov 27, 2012
Port Orange, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Cammie and Gunny
Reading through your old posts I have to assume Gunny is the puppy puppy and Cammie is slightly older correct???? If so has she ever done something like this before??? Did she actually go after your son or was it more of a not listening running through the house "ur in my way kid" type of thing??? I ask it like that bcuz I've been run over by a friends dog n ended up with a gouge in my face n a busted lip (big dog lol) she had no intention of hurting me she's just burley n doesn't listen!!!!!! I agree with the leash suggestion either way it happened u need to go back to basics with her regain dominance!!!! Two trips to potty on the leash (after being off for almost 6 months) n my baby comes as soon as she's called n walks like a little lady into the house!!!! Sometimes the simplest things do wonders :) good luck to ur family I hope poor Cammie can stay :(

CAMMIE is the older of the two. The fist we had. We have had problems with her since getting Gunny last Friday. She won't listen, biting has increased between her and Gunny during play. Some say that she is trying to dominate Gunny cuz he's the new one in the house and that it will go away but the aggressiveness between the two is increasing. Gunny gets tired a lot during the day and goes to lay somewhere and Cammie still goes at him and won't leave him alone. We go on walks and she pulls, doesn't come when u ask and ignores all commands. I take her on long walks and play and notice a small difference but as soon as she sees Gunny she wants at him.

Unfortunately I'm having a trainer come tomorrow. Nothing is working. Suuuuuuuuxxxxxx!

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
The trainer is prolly a good idea I don't really know of anyone who got puppies so close in age that weren't littler mates or else id tag someone for u :( buttttt it sounds to me like she's jealous of Gunny sibling rivalry n the disobedience is her way of rebelling against u guys!!!! It's by far not the same at all but my fiancé n I each have something special we do with our girl!!! Perhaps it's something u n ur girlfriend can do with Cammie n gunny!!!! Like u said she seems better when u walk her so maybe that can be ur special thing with her n when she comes in keep her on the leash until she's mellow n doesn't try to go after gunny!!!! If it takes 4 hours stand ur ground lol but the trainer will know more than me (hopefully anyways lol) so let us know what they say :) good luck all of ur children r adorable btw lol

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
While it is possible (however remote) that the problem is with Cammie, it is more likely about her human pack leaders. Integrating a new dog into a pack isn't always like an episode of a Disney special. It's often challenging and darned inconvenient. I'm going to guess that Cammie needs strong leadership and structure and discipline. I would also guess that Gunny needs be empowered with more self esteem. If he's fearful and cowering, he's making himself a target for Cammie's "pack takeover". Her behavior is the outcome of a problem - not the problem itself. I'm glad you are involving a trainer. Hopefully, he/she is knowledgeable in the matters of pack heirarchy and can suggest some leadership exercises for the humans that include walking both dogs together.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Im having a similar issue with Ace. All will be going reasonably well and then he gets mesmerized and goes after Gabe the maltese. When he is really intent and intense a simple loud No will not deter and I must step in physically to redirect or stand between them. The maltese has become terrorized and is afraid of him. Sometimes a loud no will work but on those times when he is mesmerized and intent nothing but physically stepping in will work. It can be very exasperating and tiring. I admit there have been times that I have thought I made a mistake getting him but I'm attached to him now and he to me. So I'm going to hang in there and continue "by any means necessary" Hopefully, and I think it will, the day will come and you will look back on this and laugh and be thankful that you kept the dog.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Please don't give up. You have to establish that you are the pack leader over both of them. Once you work on leadership and both dogs realize they are equal under you things will fall into place. It takes time and patience. I wouldn't say "unfortunately a trainer is coming" from experience with a friend, the trainer will train you more so than the dogs. My friends dog was a beast, not even exaggerating, they were totally done with him. After working with a trainer ( not an over night fix) no one would believe its the same dog. It all had to do with the owners learning how to handle each situation/ issue.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.