Questions about what to expect after neutering

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Meekos booked in for 6th feb at 8am. I know hes not allowed to eat from 6pm the night before but is allowed water. And after op he gets a checkup at 2 days 6 days and stitches out at 10 days after. All night ive been thinking of questions and hoped my felliow EB friends could help answer them..

What To Expect After His Nuts Get Crushed!!!

1. Will he have to stay in overnight or just through the day?

2.What should i expect (apart from being tired) from meeko? I have in my head hes going to be howling in pain for days and nights after!

3. Will he have to wear a cone around his head? If so how long for? and must he sleep in it?

4. Will he be able to walk up and down the stairs when hes home? As he always sleeps upstairs in my bedroom. Or will i be camping on the floor with him downstairs for a few days?

5. He goes for walkies every day .. Can this continue or will it need to stop for a week or so?

6. Do i just leave the wounds heal or should i bathe them in salt water daily?

7. ODD QUESTION ALERT.. Will he still have balls danglin between his legs after the op or will they be completely cut off?!

There was more questions but i cant remember now lol if i have more il add them to the list.. I wasnt worried at all then when i was given a date ive been panicking since lol. I trust my vets 100% and know 2 of the people from before they worked at the vets and know they will take extra good care of Meeko but im worried about me looking after him and his baddy bits when hes home and nervous because i dont know what to expect.
Ive always had female dogs growing up and was young when they got spayed so cant remember much about it.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Meekos booked in for 6th feb at 8am. I know hes not allowed to eat from 6pm the night before but is allowed water. And after op he gets a checkup at 2 days 6 days and stitches out at 10 days after. All night ive been thinking of questions and hoped my felliow EB friends could help answer them..

What To Expect After His Nuts Get Crushed!!!

1. Will he have to stay in overnight or just through the day?

2.What should i expect (apart from being tired) from meeko? I have in my head hes going to be howling in pain for days and nights after!

3. Will he have to wear a cone around his head? If so how long for? and must he sleep in it?

4. Will he be able to walk up and down the stairs when hes home? As he always sleeps upstairs in my bedroom. Or will i be camping on the floor with him downstairs for a few days?

5. He goes for walkies every day .. Can this continue or will it need to stop for a week or so?

6. Do i just leave the wounds heal or should i bathe them in salt water daily?

7. ODD QUESTION ALERT.. Will he still have balls danglin between his legs after the op or will they be completely cut off?!

There was more questions but i cant remember now lol if i have more il add them to the list.. I wasnt worried at all then when i was given a date ive been panicking since lol. I trust my vets 100% and know 2 of the people from before they worked at the vets and know they will take extra good care of Meeko but im worried about me looking after him and his baddy bits when hes home and nervous because i dont know what to expect.
Ive always had female dogs growing up and was young when they got spayed so cant remember much about it.

I quoted this so I could answer each of your questions. We just had Ruckus done in December.

1. Ruckus came home the same day. He had to be there around 7:30 and we picked him up around 5 or so.

2. Ruckus never showed signs of pain, he was given a pain pill for a few days, but other than being sleepy and mopey when we brought him home he was back to normal.

3. Most bully's can't reach the incision so no cone is needed. Our vet said use the cone to keep him calm. It made him wild, when he ran into the door frame with it we took it off and that was the end of that.

4. No steps, running, jumping for 6 days our vet said, but that only lasted a few days with ruckus. We did carry him up to bed and put him on the bad for the first few days.

5. Leashed walks.

6. We did nothing for the wounds, they looked great from the beginning and they heald faster than I thought they would.

7. LOL!! He will still have balls. They shrivel up with time. My daughter says poor Ruckus has an empty coin purse! Ruckus's are still shriveling, they're getting smaller and smaller lol!

Hope this helps. Your vet will send you with instructions too, so some may be different but this is what we just did.

ModernFemme

Arts'y bulldog farts'y
Community Veteran
Oct 5, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Remington (Remi)
Hi, @ncra676!

1. Remi came home at the end of the day. They said he was up and about pretty quickly.

2. My bully was ridiculous. Pretty much the second he woke up from a nap, he was trying to kamikaze off the couch and run up all the stairs, and jump on all the things. The only thing he did was every now and then try to lick his wounds, which we were able to curb with just a firm, "Remi, no." But he got that pain medication that is an injection, and lasts a couple of days after the surgery.

3. It totally depends if he starts licking or biting at the area too much. Our vet didn't send us home with one, but said we could get one if needed. We didn't need it.

4. My husband (boy do I loved that guy) actually carried Remi up and down the stairs for the first 5 days or so. We didn't let him on the couch either, so I barricaded him in the downstairs entry way, which is actually our personal computer area. I worked down there instead of in my upstairs office and kept him real quiet in his crate for most of the time.

5. I would skip the first 2 days, but if he seems like he his bored out of his freakin' mind, a walk is totally fine. Just take it easy and don't go where you know you'll run into another dog or kid if he gets super worked up about it.

6. Let them heal.... the water could dissolve the stitches before they are ready to come out. I didn't bathe Remi for 2 weeks. Boy was he smelly!! I read it's good to wait 10-14 days.

7. hahaha, Remi never had "dangling balls" so I can't really answer that. In fact, I'm like, omg, are they there?? I will check later.

It was really no big deal, and Remi had 2 balls that were buried in his body cavity, so the surgery was a bit more complex, yet all went smooth. We knew about his condition though. The only strange thing I can mention is that Remi had a lump inside one of the stitch sites. My vet said it was probably some kind of reaction to the stitches, and it went down with time without needing a trip back.

Random factoid: I cried twice after dropping off Remi. I was a mess as well!!!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have the right answers to all your questions. Ours have done great afterwards. It's hard to keep them from jumping and running when they feel fine. You do not need the cone so tell your vet you don't need it and save the money. As far as him having his boys afterwards, when our vet did Cash he left them in, and when he recently did Buddy, he took them out, so it may just be up to your vet.

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Gunny stayed overnight, which was standard for the vet.

Our vet also said keep him calm, no jumping ect for 7 days, then started laughing hysterically. (It didn't happen)

We had a cone, for the eye surgery at the same time.

Yes, had "empty coin purse", still shrinking.

Surgery didn't phase him at all, but he is certainly calmer now.

OP
MeekosMummy

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Thankyou all for your help with the questions answered im definately a bit more at ease about it.. Still a bit nervous though il be lost all day without him he cant stay the night too lol i hope its not what they do at my vets i wont be able to sleep without his snoring. Ooh i hope they leave his in so he doesnt have shrivelled up balls :rofl: hes only young !

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Also remember that they can sense your emotions so try to stay calm and act normal. You will probably find the most difficult part will be keeping him calm after the first day or day.

Bullies can't usually lick their personal areas. Knowing this and knowing the cone would be more traumatic to my boy, I insisted on no cone.

All went well. You will be surprised how quickly he will recover. I think it may be worse on us than on them ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.