AKC Question and Intro...

Coach

Dec 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Herschel
Hi all! My wife and I got a bulldog pup from the wifes sister around xmas. The parents, although young (accidental litter), were nice looking dogs. The female is white and is about 55 lbs at a yr old. The father was a little off from my limited experience with bulldogs. He was a skinniesh 40 something lbs and black n gold brindle. He almost looked like an over grown Boston Terrier but has nice bones an a beautiful coat. The pups were all different colors, some had tails and some didnt. My Hershel is white w/ a brindle patch on his eye and hind quarter and about a 5 inch tail. I will post some pics when I learn how. He's a mess but thats why I picked him. He was much, MUCH more hyperactive than his brother and sister that were left. He goes through thick and skinny stages but at 12 weeks he's about 28 lbs.

For the AKC question. I wasnt and am not too worried about the papers but of course I got the research bug after I got him. I took note of health issues, food, ETC. One of the things I noticed was the reputable registries and their reasoning. When I got his paper info from the "breeder" I noticed the father is ACA registered. I believe it's because the third generation female on his side is listed as "foreign registry" with no name. All the other parents, grandparents, on both sides are AKC registered. Long story short, I'm wondering if there's anyway to find out more about the father and if I can have Herschel AKC registered? Maybe the DNA thing AKC offers? Anyone familiar with that?

Thanks! Great site and looking forward to many happy post!

Last edited:

Tracy T

Community Veteran
Dec 8, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston, the Earl of Biscuit
I don't know any answers about the AKC, except that unless you want to breed your bulldog it doesn't matter one little bit. He's still going to be a loved and loving family pet that is spoiled rotten. :D However, I believe the breeder is the one who has to register the pups; the owner cannot do it on their own.

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully someone will be along soon that can answer your AKC questions with more confidence than can I.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
ACA is the American Canine Association and is used when someone can not get a dog registered through AKC. There may be several reasons. One the dog is not pure breed, does not meet AKC standards, or the breeder of an AKC pup has limited registration on the pup, meaning the breeder did not want the pup to be bred, or used for breeding. If one of the pups sire or dam is not AKC registered, then the pups from that litter can not be registered with AKC for show or breeding, but (and this does not apply to bullies) may be used in field trials.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.