Anyone ever been to a Bulldog Meetup?

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
So i joined Richmond Bullies soon after i got Henry. He's going to be 5 months next week. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to bring him around adult Bullies. There will be some Frenchies there as well that will be closer to his size. I get the idea that these other bullies are socialized since they tend to have the meetups every month or 2. I know my Henry won't mind since he seems to Love every person/animal he meets. What do you guys think? Is he too young? He does really well in the puppy playtime he usually goes to on weekends and has played with other medium sized adult dogs.

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
We're attending our first one with Ellie later in February. Sadly, the Atlanta area is the closest place for Bully meetups for us and that's a good 1.5-2 hour drive each way. One meetup group is having a meetup closer to us that will only take about 45 minutes to an hour to get to, so we're going to try it out.

As long as Henry's up to date on his shots, flea/tick/heartworm preventative, etc, I'd think 5 months should be fine. Even though others may not have theirs up to date, you don't want to bring home any unwanted guests.

There's also a Bulldog Meetup forum on the main forums page that may have some good info as well.

Last edited:

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I don't know who enjoys the meetups more me or duchess... Lol.. They are fun. They usually have one once a month.by me and usually a good turn out of 20-30 English bulldogs. I took her to her first meet-up when she was 4 months. I got her at 8 weeks. You do have to. Be carefull as bullies to play rough so her first meet up she weighed about 18lb and had a bunch of 50-60 lb adults. I just had to watch she didn't get trampled. But she held her ground!

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
We have only been to one meetup because we had to travel several hours to get there but it was a great time! You will have as much fun as your Bully. My experience was the dogs were very well socialized and the people were so nice to visit with. Go, you will have a wonderful time :D.

Baconator

Apr 12, 2012
Northern NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Bacon
Go you will have a blast, there is nothing more entertaining then watching bullies play with one another. [MENTION=5580]elearn[/MENTION] came up to our house with Herman when they were about that age and the two of them had a blast.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
DO IT!!! As long as Henry's shots are current, nothing is funnier than walking up to a group of 20+ snorting bullies!! Chunk has a great time, always finds playmates! You might have to break it up once in a while, but he'll sleep for the rest of the day after. :) Have a great time!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi I've been to one bulldog meetup, it was a winter event, and was held inside a doggie playground warehouse, it was our first time, my 2 guys were the youngest at 9 months old. For the first 1/2 hour it was great, the bullies all,played together, and then some new people came, and one lady's bulldog was very aggressive with the toys, didn't want to share anything, and took away toys from other dogs, he growled at everyone, and at one point started a fight with 4 or 5 other dogs, we had to separate them. This dog kept going after my male dog and because he's very laid back, he would just lay down and submit, but kept getting attacked , the owner did nothing about it, and I ended up putting my guys on their leashes and going to the other side of the warehouse, but the dog kept coming over to us, and growling and jumping on my dogs, the lady made a couple of comments, like you do t learn your lesson, do you? And then she said to me, it's because you have them on a leash, that's why they're fighting. My dogs weren't doing the fighting, and she wouldn't leash her dog, also there was another dog there he was about a year old, and not neutered, and he kept humping all the other dogs, then he fixated on my female , and wouldnt leave her alone. She took it for so long and then gave him a coup,e of growls, to say shed had enough. So again I leashed them, and although this lady did correct her dog when he did it, and pulled him off my dog, she didn't leash him. So we ended up leaving. Later when I got home their was a message from the person who arranged the meeting, and he wrote how it was a nice meeting and a good turn out, but that there had been a couple of aggressive events between dogs, and if this happened again, owners should leash their dogs, and put them in a sort of time out. I wrote him back and said I agreed , and had done this, but others had not, and I found it kind of frustrating that I had to leash my 2 dogs while the ones who were causing the problems were running around free. I old him I thought that if you know your dog is aggressive, or not tolerant of other dogs, or if you have a dog that is not neutered and it humps every dog in sight, then maybe you shouldn't be bringing them to a dog meetup, or leash free dog park setting, where there are other dogs, you should know the personality of your dog and how they are. While he agreed with me, he said he was just the organizer of the group, and he had no control, of what people do , and he could only suggest that people leash their dogs, and the message was intended for everyone as a reminder. I don't blame him, and I i understand when you go to these types of places, there's always going to be the odd dog or person that ruins it for the rest of the group, it's the same as the leash free dog parks, there's always the one dog that is aggressive or untrained, or the one person who doesn't poop and scoop after their dog that ruins it for the rest. There is another meeting coming up in the spring, and it's going to be at an outdoor park, I'm going to try it and see if being outside as opposed to an indoor event makes any difference, since the dogs will have much more room to run around. If it ends up not being a good experience again, then I probably won't do anymore, but am willing to give it another chance as it was fun meeting other bulldog owners, and other bully's. All I can advise you is to give it a try, and see how your experience goes, it may be a good one, and if it isn't at least you've tried it and can decide if its good for you or not, but I think for the most part , it is a fun experience, and good for they dogs to be socialized with other dogs, they get good exercise, and you meet a lot of nice people, and get outside. Just make sure your baby has all his shots up to date. Hope it's a good experience for you, and keep us posted on how it went.

PapaSmurf2

Bike riding, bully loving soldier
Jan 21, 2013
Hattiesburg MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie
We have not been to one yet, and sadly I don't think there's one anywhere near us.......when I get back to the ranch and get the evening chores done I'm going to research a little for Bully clubs on the web.

MsRandall

Dec 23, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Myles
Last month my family attended the SF bully meetup and we had a blast....here are some of the pictures of Myles there.

Attachments

• 600_205966642.jpg
    600_205966642.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 600_205967052.jpg
    600_205967052.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 600_205967142.jpg
    600_205967142.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3220.jpg
    IMG_3220.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3224.jpg
    IMG_3224.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3225.jpg
    IMG_3225.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3233.jpg
    IMG_3233.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 92

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I went to my first one 2 weeks ago in Yorkshire England. There was more than 40 dogs there and we all walked round a dam. It was a lovely winters day but very muddy. Half way round there was a couple just married, the big white dress etc ( she was getting her pictures done ) and bully's full of slobber coming towards her. Lucky for her no dogs stepped or slobbered on her dress.
All in all it was a great day and I am looking forward to the next one.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
While she is very passive about going anywhere HRH is not much of a social butterfly. We take her to meet-ups because we want to change things up a bit now and then. She would be content to never change anything and keep to her daily routine, but it seems to feed on her fears and OCD behaviors if we don't switch it up a bit and get her out and about now and then.
It's been great when we've gone to the bully meetups in particular. She does seem more content about being away from home when there are actually other bullies there. Much more so than just any other dog. And we enjoy the conversations with the other bully parents. And of course seeing the other bullies. She mostly just follows us around, but she will get in an introductory sniff now and then.

here's a video from the meetup we went to Feb 17th.

OP
K

kevi204

Nov 6, 2012
Virginia
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry
So Henry did end up going to that bulldog meetup a month ago. We had a blast. There was about 20 dogs there, Most Eng Bullies, with some Frenchies. The DayCare place decided to give the Richmond Bullie club the space the first saturday of every month for free for the day. So we'll be attending again this Saturday.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.