How old were you when you got your first bully?!

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Hubby got Mac for my gift for our 10th wedding anniversary, not sure how that is a gift for me as he's a gift that keeps on making messes and needs me more than an infant does but hey, thanks honey!!
BTW, as I was typing this that 'gift' was trying to make a nest in my LAP (remember, I'm on the laptop, hence no lap space) but instead has settled for his head on my boob and he's curled himself up as small as a bulldog can possible get which isn't that small mind you. Yes, dear, thank you.:weird:

Lol, duchess so thinks she's the same size as my g/f 3.5lb chihuaha!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I've had tons of dogs in my life. My mom is a rescuer who can't seem to find her spine when it comes to finding a home for her rescues. If it weren't for the fact that she lived in the Philippines and had maids, she'd be one of those terrible hoarders on TV. Currently, she is living with my brother who got a smidgen of her hoarder mentality and has 8 dogs... she's happy as peaches.

We've had all kinds of breeds. Purebreeds, known mix, no-idea-what-dog-this-is mutts... Gentle dogs, vicious dogs, and everything in between. There are easy breeds and there are challenging breeds. I didn't get the EB until 2 years ago (middle-age here - I'm not telling you how old I am! Geez! LOL). Yes, I did not want an EB because personally, I think the breed standards is an injustice to the dog. But my husband has always wanted an EB and so when I was searching for furniture on craigslist and saw Bella Rose (I am my mother's daughter and couldn't stay away from looking at the dogs in need of rescuing!), my husband decided to check it out and so we got our first bully. I still believe the breed standards is an injustice to the dog... but I am crazy in love with my bullys.

But as far as "no other breed like the bully"... that is true... just like "there's no other breed like the bichon frise" or "no other breed like the japanese spitz" or "no other breed like the doberman" or "no other breed like the pitbull".... they all have their quirkiness that make them special.

OP
S

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I've had tons of dogs in my life. My mom is a rescuer who can't seem to find her spine when it comes to finding a home for her rescues. If it weren't for the fact that she lived in the Philippines and had maids, she'd be one of those terrible hoarders on TV. Currently, she is living with my brother who got a smidgen of her hoarder mentality and has 8 dogs... she's happy as peaches.

We've had all kinds of breeds. Purebreeds, known mix, no-idea-what-dog-this-is mutts... Gentle dogs, vicious dogs, and everything in between. There are easy breeds and there are challenging breeds. I didn't get the EB until 2 years ago (middle-age here - I'm not telling you how old I am! Geez! LOL). Yes, I did not want an EB because personally, I think the breed standards is an injustice to the dog. But my husband has always wanted an EB and so when I was searching for furniture on craigslist and saw Bella Rose (I am my mother's daughter and couldn't stay away from looking at the dogs in need of rescuing!), my husband decided to check it out and so we got our first bully. I still believe the breed standards is an injustice to the dog... but I am crazy in love with my bullys.

But as far as "no other breed like the bully"... that is true... just like "there's no other breed like the bichon frise" or "no other breed like the japanese spitz" or "no other breed like the doberman" or "no other breed like the pitbull".... they all have their quirkiness that make them special.

I agree all breeds have their qwuirks, I've had dobes, rotties, pits, labs, mastiffs. Never had a connection with another dog like I have with my bully.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have wanted one since I seen one when I was a teenager but I was 45 after being divorced 14 years, and raising two boys, I remarried at 45 and my Husband bought me Vegas for my wedding present. (We eloped to Vegas to get married, lol)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I agree all breeds have their qwuirks, I've had dobes, rotties, pits, labs, mastiffs. Never had a connection with another dog like I have with my bully.

I submit it's not because of the breed though. It's because of that specific dog. I've never really had a dog that I didn't connect with. No, I don't count those dogs that lived in my house that is not really "mine" but my mom's or my brother's, etc... I can't have a dog I can't connect with. All these dogs have a way of pulling your heart strings. If I look back into my childhood memories, there has always been a dog that saw me through my low points... Man... I'm getting teary eyed as I type. I'm remembering special moments with special dogs that have since passed... :(

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
My husband and I are both 24 are just got our first bulldog, Rumble, in December. I grew up having all sorts of animals (multiple cats, a cocker spaniel we rescued, a golden retriever that rescued us, and rabbits that I used to show) but I had never gotten the opportunity to pick a breed of dog that I wanted and then to pick out a puppy that would be all mine. My husband, Zach, had never had an animal before but somehow I talked him into an English bulldog. I think I got my love for English bulldogs from my dad who always wanted one but never had the opportunity to get one. So shortly after moving into our new house I started looking at websites and shortly after seeing Rumble's picture I knew I had to have him!

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
We got Jackson about a month after my 29th birthday. We had been in touch with the bulldog rescue here and my husband was trying to a bully by my birthday, but we got him a tad bit later. Still, best belated birthday gift ever!

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I was 30. Getting Debo was the best decision in my life!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I was 30. I figured I have kept two kids alive so why not throw a dog into the mix and add more craziness!:crazy:

DesertBum

Sep 11, 2012
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Xena
We got Xena 2 days before my 50th. We have rescued mastiffs and rotties, but the g/f said no more dogs until she gets an EB. I did research and thought it was nutz, with all the problems I had read about. Then stumbled into to this group and found out that its all not doom and gloom.
Just so happens that Xena was returned to the breeder/grammy. It must have been for a reason. Xena is daddy's lil girl :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I was 50, it was a combination Mothers Day/ Birthday present. I had wanted a bulldog, my favourite breed for about 10 years. I had a Jack Russell for 14 years, and she passed away 2 years ago. When I had my Jack , her name was Oreo, I never thought about getting another dog, my kids were younger and busy, but I always said to my husband if I ever get another dog, it's going to be a male, and I'm going to call him Bulldozer. After Oreo passed away, I actually told my family no more dogs ( can u imagine?). I had the excuses they are a lot of work, they are a 10 to 20 year relationship, they depend on you for everything, you can't go away whenever you want. So I got a cat, we have never owned a cat, but they are much more independent , and don't have to be trained, or get you up at 6 am. Lol. But as time went on, I was really missing a dog in my life , I started researching breeds and breeders, I found the French Bulldogs , and thought that hey they have the same look of a EB, except for their cute cartoon ears, but they are about half the size, about 25 lbs. My husband and my son protested and said no way, you always get small foofoo dogs, and if we are going to get a Bulldog, it's going to be a big Bulldog, so I say Ok , I always wanted an EB anyway. I told my husband that is what I want for Mothers Day and it can be for my 50th Birthday as well as it was coming up in September. I found a couple of breeders, made the appointments to see the pups, and found a family in Toronto who had 2 pups left, a male and a female, I saw their pictures and fell in love itch my Bulldozer, we went to their house and played on the kitchen floor with the pups for about an hour, my husband and my Grandson kept playing with the little girl, he kept saying oh look at how cute she is , look at how sweet she is. I kept saying , but I want the male. We decided on Dozer, and since it was the Mothers Day weekend, I sled the breeder if I could pay for him and pick him up, the next day, as I had family things going on, and had to go to Petsmart and buy my supplies for him. He said that was fine. We came back to pick him up, and he brings both dogs upstairs, and starts to pack up their food, and had papers for both dogs. I said to him, I want Dozer the male, right? And he said to me, you want both right? I said no, just Dozer, but my husband jumps in and says no we want both. I looked at him, and say are you crazy? 2 dogs? he says aww look at her , she's so sweet, we can't leave her here alone, I want both of them. So the breeder is standing there just as confused as me. Apparently my husband had called back after we left, and asked if she was still available, and said we would take both pups. So that's how we got 2 babies, and Bulldozer and Blossom came home with us. My husband always asks me now , which one would you choose now, and I say well I had in mind only a male at the time, so I would have only taken him home, and would not have known Blossom, but now that we have both, and I know her, I love her, she has the best personality, and is so sweet, so I couldn't choose now, I love them both.

Last edited:

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I was 50, it was a combination Mothers Day/ Birthday present. I had wanted a bulldog, my favourite breed for about 10 years. I had a Jack Russell for 14 years, and she passed away 2 years ago. When I had my Jack , her name was Oreo, I never thought about getting another dog, my kids were younger and busy, but I was said to my husband if I ever get another dog, it's going to be a male, and I'm going to call him Bulldozer. After Oreo passed away, I actually told my family no more dogs ( can u imagine?). I had the excuses they are a lot of work, they are a 10 to 20 year relationship, they depend on you for everything, you can't go away whenever you want. So I got a cat, we have never owned a cat, but they are much more independent , and don't have to be trained, or get you up at 6 am. Lol. But as time went on, I was really missing a dog in my life , I started researching breeds and breeders, I found the French Bulldogs , and thought that hey they have the same look of a EB, except for their cute cartoon ears, but they are about half the size, about 25 lbs. My husband and my son protested and said no way, you always get small foofoo dogs, and if we are going to get a Bulldog, it's going to be a big Bulldog, so I say Ok , I always wanted an EB anyway. I told my husband that is what I want for Mothers Day and it can be for my 50th Birthday as well as it was coming up in September. I found a couple of breeders, made the appointments to see the pups, and found a family in Toronto who had 2 pups left, a male and a female, I saw their pictures and fell in love itch my Bulldozer, we went to their house and played on the kitchen floor with the pups for about an hour, my husband and my Grandson kept playing with the little girl, he kept saying oh look at how cute she is , look at how sweet she is. I kept saying , but I want the male. We decided on Dozer, and since it was the Mothers Day weekend, I sled the breeder if I could pay for him and pick him up, the next day, as I had family things going on, and had to go to Petsmart and buy my supplies for him. He said that was fine. We came back to pick him up, and he brings both dogs upstairs, and starts to pack up their food, and had papers for both dogs. I said to him, I want Dozer the male, right? And he said to me, you want both right? I said no, just Dozer, but my husband jumps in and says nowe want both. I looked at him, and say are you crazy? 2 dogs? he says aww look at her , she's so sweet, we can't leave her here alone, I want both of them. So the breeder is standing there just as confused as me. Apparently my husband had called back after we left, and asked if she was still available, and said we would take both pups. So that's how we got 2 babies, and Bulldozer and Blossom came home with us. My husband always asks me now , which one would you choose now, and I say well I had in mind only a male at the time, so I would have only taken him home, and would not have known Blossom, but now that we have both, and I know her, I love her, she has the best personality, and is so sweet, so I couldn't choose now, I love them both.

That's a great story on how you got them.

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
I purchased Otis as my 44th birthday present last March - he just turned one this month (hubby and I are same age) Best present I ever got!
Hubby has been jealous ever since, I cant help but be by Otis's side every single second I am home.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.