Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you got your first bully?!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Debo
    Likes (Received)

I was 30. Getting Debo was the best decision in my life!

Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

Bully lovin' movie buff Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jenni
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola and Lucy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How old were you when you got your first bully?!

I was 30. I figured I have kept two kids alive so why not throw a dog into the mix and add more craziness!

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member DesertBum's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Xena
    Likes (Received)

We got Xena 2 days before my 50th. We have rescued mastiffs and rotties, but the g/f said no more dogs until she gets an EB. I did research and thought it was nutz, with all the problems I had read about. Then stumbled into to this group and found out that its all not doom and gloom.
    Just so happens that Xena was returned to the breeder/grammy. It must have been for a reason. Xena is daddy's lil girl
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out the car window

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

I was 50, it was a combination Mothers Day/ Birthday present. I had wanted a bulldog, my favourite breed for about 10 years. I had a Jack Russell for 14 years, and she passed away 2 years ago. When I had my Jack , her name was Oreo, I never thought about getting another dog, my kids were younger and busy, but I always said to my husband if I ever get another dog, it's going to be a male, and I'm going to call him Bulldozer. After Oreo passed away, I actually told my family no more dogs ( can u imagine?). I had the excuses they are a lot of work, they are a 10 to 20 year relationship, they depend on you for everything, you can't go away whenever you want. So I got a cat, we have never owned a cat, but they are much more independent , and don't have to be trained, or get you up at 6 am. Lol. But as time went on, I was really missing a dog in my life , I started researching breeds and breeders, I found the French Bulldogs , and thought that hey they have the same look of a EB, except for their cute cartoon ears, but they are about half the size, about 25 lbs. My husband and my son protested and said no way, you always get small foofoo dogs, and if we are going to get a Bulldog, it's going to be a big Bulldog, so I say Ok , I always wanted an EB anyway. I told my husband that is what I want for Mothers Day and it can be for my 50th Birthday as well as it was coming up in September. I found a couple of breeders, made the appointments to see the pups, and found a family in Toronto who had 2 pups left, a male and a female, I saw their pictures and fell in love itch my Bulldozer, we went to their house and played on the kitchen floor with the pups for about an hour, my husband and my Grandson kept playing with the little girl, he kept saying oh look at how cute she is , look at how sweet she is. I kept saying , but I want the male. We decided on Dozer, and since it was the Mothers Day weekend, I sled the breeder if I could pay for him and pick him up, the next day, as I had family things going on, and had to go to Petsmart and buy my supplies for him. He said that was fine. We came back to pick him up, and he brings both dogs upstairs, and starts to pack up their food, and had papers for both dogs. I said to him, I want Dozer the male, right? And he said to me, you want both right? I said no, just Dozer, but my husband jumps in and says no we want both. I looked at him, and say are you crazy? 2 dogs? he says aww look at her , she's so sweet, we can't leave her here alone, I want both of them. So the breeder is standing there just as confused as me. Apparently my husband had called back after we left, and asked if she was still available, and said we would take both pups. So that's how we got 2 babies, and Bulldozer and Blossom came home with us. My husband always asks me now , which one would you choose now, and I say well I had in mind only a male at the time, so I would have only taken him home, and would not have known Blossom, but now that we have both, and I know her, I love her, she has the best personality, and is so sweet, so I couldn't choose now, I love them both.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 01-28-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    I was 50, it was a combination Mothers Day/ Birthday present. I had wanted a bulldog, my favourite breed for about 10 years. I had a Jack Russell for 14 years, and she passed away 2 years ago. When I had my Jack , her name was Oreo, I never thought about getting another dog, my kids were younger and busy, but I was said to my husband if I ever get another dog, it's going to be a male, and I'm going to call him Bulldozer. After Oreo passed away, I actually told my family no more dogs ( can u imagine?). I had the excuses they are a lot of work, they are a 10 to 20 year relationship, they depend on you for everything, you can't go away whenever you want. So I got a cat, we have never owned a cat, but they are much more independent , and don't have to be trained, or get you up at 6 am. Lol. But as time went on, I was really missing a dog in my life , I started researching breeds and breeders, I found the French Bulldogs , and thought that hey they have the same look of a EB, except for their cute cartoon ears, but they are about half the size, about 25 lbs. My husband and my son protested and said no way, you always get small foofoo dogs, and if we are going to get a Bulldog, it's going to be a big Bulldog, so I say Ok , I always wanted an EB anyway. I told my husband that is what I want for Mothers Day and it can be for my 50th Birthday as well as it was coming up in September. I found a couple of breeders, made the appointments to see the pups, and found a family in Toronto who had 2 pups left, a male and a female, I saw their pictures and fell in love itch my Bulldozer, we went to their house and played on the kitchen floor with the pups for about an hour, my husband and my Grandson kept playing with the little girl, he kept saying oh look at how cute she is , look at how sweet she is. I kept saying , but I want the male. We decided on Dozer, and since it was the Mothers Day weekend, I sled the breeder if I could pay for him and pick him up, the next day, as I had family things going on, and had to go to Petsmart and buy my supplies for him. He said that was fine. We came back to pick him up, and he brings both dogs upstairs, and starts to pack up their food, and had papers for both dogs. I said to him, I want Dozer the male, right? And he said to me, you want both right? I said no, just Dozer, but my husband jumps in and says nowe want both. I looked at him, and say are you crazy? 2 dogs? he says aww look at her , she's so sweet, we can't leave her here alone, I want both of them. So the breeder is standing there just as confused as me. Apparently my husband had called back after we left, and asked if she was still available, and said we would take both pups. So that's how we got 2 babies, and Bulldozer and Blossom came home with us. My husband always asks me now , which one would you choose now, and I say well I had in mind only a male at the time, so I would have only taken him home, and would not have known Blossom, but now that we have both, and I know her, I love her, she has the best personality, and is so sweet, so I couldn't choose now, I love them both.
    That's a great story on how you got them.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn, but maybe my login name gave it away...lol
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis and Winston
    Likes (Received)

I purchased Otis as my 44th birthday present last March - he just turned one this month (hubby and I are same age) Best present I ever got!
    Hubby has been jealous ever since, I cant help but be by Otis's side every single second I am home.
    Otis you'll never know how much I love you I love you more then all the leaves on all the trees

Bike riding, bully loving soldier Become a 4 Paw Member PapaSmurf2's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rob McKinnell
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie
    Likes (Received)

I got "picked" by my first Bully about 4 years ago. She was a rescue with several medical issues....we were more a "hospice". She stole my heart and now I don't ever see myself without. I was just over 41.
    It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men that have died (in battle). Rather we should thank God that such men have lived.

George S. Patton

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

We got Amber last year and I was 51. I have had dogs all my life but never a EBD; now I am hooked and waiting on my second one.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Uni & Boadie
    Likes (Received)

I got my first bullies at 26. I had two foster dogs at the time, and had always loved bulldogs, so when Uni came along it was a no-brainer. The foster dogs got a new home when Uni was about 8 months old, and we all missed them. So in came Boadie! Uni was over a year old when we got him and she will always be my spoiled SWEET BABY! Boadie is my BIG BOY!
    In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

We got our first Bulldog, Sherman, when I was 42. I am 70 now. Yikes! Ruggles is Bulldog # 6. We usually have 2 Bullys and we soon will again because we get no name yet baby brother Feb. 7th! He is an Old English Bulldogge!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -resizedimage951358824415253-jpg  

Real Name
    Lucie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Liz and Amy
    Likes (Received)

What a bunch of great stories! You know we actually committed to getting Liz before finding a house! Then my husband insisted that we needed to install central air before we brought her home. So, yes, we bought a house and central air conditioning for a dog!
    Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend. ~Corey Ford

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

My first bully was Richard and I was in 6th grade, how old are you then? I don't know maybe 11-12. I got Abby for my 38th birthday.

Always with me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads