Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How old were you when you got your first bully?!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How old were you when you got your first bully?!

I've wanted an englishbulldog all my life and at the ripe age of 41 I was finally at that kind of a point in my life that could have one. That's 2 1/2 years ago.

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny B View Post
    34. Only because my husband and I had to compromise. I said Boxer, he said Lab. Don't ask how that was a compromise, but we both said okay.
    That. . . . . is interesting But glad it worked out for you!!

Real Name
    Veronica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by brileythebully View Post
    Briley was my 19th birthday present to myself! I'm young I know lol. Grew up around dogs and working with animals and when I moved out I go to college I didn't feel the same not having an animal at home and always wanted an English bulldog, so along came Briley! And I couldn't have gotten myself a better gift!
    Hubby got Mac for my gift for our 10th wedding anniversary, not sure how that is a gift for me as he's a gift that keeps on making messes and needs me more than an infant does but hey, thanks honey!!
    BTW, as I was typing this that 'gift' was trying to make a nest in my LAP (remember, I'm on the laptop, hence no lap space) but instead has settled for his head on my boob and he's curled himself up as small as a bulldog can possible get which isn't that small mind you. Yes, dear, thank you.

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by babybully View Post
    Hubby got Mac for my gift for our 10th wedding anniversary, not sure how that is a gift for me as he's a gift that keeps on making messes and needs me more than an infant does but hey, thanks honey!!
    BTW, as I was typing this that 'gift' was trying to make a nest in my LAP (remember, I'm on the laptop, hence no lap space) but instead has settled for his head on my boob and he's curled himself up as small as a bulldog can possible get which isn't that small mind you. Yes, dear, thank you.
    Lol, duchess so thinks she's the same size as my g/f 3.5lb chihuaha!

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

I've had tons of dogs in my life. My mom is a rescuer who can't seem to find her spine when it comes to finding a home for her rescues. If it weren't for the fact that she lived in the Philippines and had maids, she'd be one of those terrible hoarders on TV. Currently, she is living with my brother who got a smidgen of her hoarder mentality and has 8 dogs... she's happy as peaches.

We've had all kinds of breeds. Purebreeds, known mix, no-idea-what-dog-this-is mutts... Gentle dogs, vicious dogs, and everything in between. There are easy breeds and there are challenging breeds. I didn't get the EB until 2 years ago (middle-age here - I'm not telling you how old I am! Geez! LOL). Yes, I did not want an EB because personally, I think the breed standards is an injustice to the dog. But my husband has always wanted an EB and so when I was searching for furniture on craigslist and saw Bella Rose (I am my mother's daughter and couldn't stay away from looking at the dogs in need of rescuing!), my husband decided to check it out and so we got our first bully. I still believe the breed standards is an injustice to the dog... but I am crazy in love with my bullys.

But as far as "no other breed like the bully"... that is true... just like "there's no other breed like the bichon frise" or "no other breed like the japanese spitz" or "no other breed like the doberman" or "no other breed like the pitbull".... they all have their quirkiness that make them special.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I've had tons of dogs in my life. My mom is a rescuer who can't seem to find her spine when it comes to finding a home for her rescues. If it weren't for the fact that she lived in the Philippines and had maids, she'd be one of those terrible hoarders on TV. Currently, she is living with my brother who got a smidgen of her hoarder mentality and has 8 dogs... she's happy as peaches.

We've had all kinds of breeds. Purebreeds, known mix, no-idea-what-dog-this-is mutts... Gentle dogs, vicious dogs, and everything in between. There are easy breeds and there are challenging breeds. I didn't get the EB until 2 years ago (middle-age here - I'm not telling you how old I am! Geez! LOL). Yes, I did not want an EB because personally, I think the breed standards is an injustice to the dog. But my husband has always wanted an EB and so when I was searching for furniture on craigslist and saw Bella Rose (I am my mother's daughter and couldn't stay away from looking at the dogs in need of rescuing!), my husband decided to check it out and so we got our first bully. I still believe the breed standards is an injustice to the dog... but I am crazy in love with my bullys.

But as far as "no other breed like the bully"... that is true... just like "there's no other breed like the bichon frise" or "no other breed like the japanese spitz" or "no other breed like the doberman" or "no other breed like the pitbull".... they all have their quirkiness that make them special.

I agree all breeds have their qwuirks, I've had dobes, rotties, pits, labs, mastiffs. Never had a connection with another dog like I have with my bully.

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

I have wanted one since I seen one when I was a teenager but I was 45 after being divorced 14 years, and raising two boys, I remarried at 45 and my Husband bought me Vegas for my wedding present. (We eloped to Vegas to get married, lol)

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    I agree all breeds have their qwuirks, I've had dobes, rotties, pits, labs, mastiffs. Never had a connection with another dog like I have with my bully.
    I submit it's not because of the breed though. It's because of that specific dog. I've never really had a dog that I didn't connect with. No, I don't count those dogs that lived in my house that is not really "mine" but my mom's or my brother's, etc... I can't have a dog I can't connect with. All these dogs have a way of pulling your heart strings. If I look back into my childhood memories, there has always been a dog that saw me through my low points... Man... I'm getting teary eyed as I type. I'm remembering special moments with special dogs that have since passed...

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Real Name
    Tiffany
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
    Likes (Received)

My husband and I are both 24 are just got our first bulldog, Rumble, in December. I grew up having all sorts of animals (multiple cats, a cocker spaniel we rescued, a golden retriever that rescued us, and rabbits that I used to show) but I had never gotten the opportunity to pick a breed of dog that I wanted and then to pick out a puppy that would be all mine. My husband, Zach, had never had an animal before but somehow I talked him into an English bulldog. I think I got my love for English bulldogs from my dad who always wanted one but never had the opportunity to get one. So shortly after moving into our new house I started looking at websites and shortly after seeing Rumble's picture I knew I had to have him!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Iggy
    Likes (Received)

I got Iggy when I was 25. Iggy is my first bully AND my first dog.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lucy
    Likes (Received)

32. Got her a week after my birthday last month.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Likes (Received)

We got Jackson about a month after my 29th birthday. We had been in touch with the bulldog rescue here and my husband was trying to a bully by my birthday, but we got him a tad bit later. Still, best belated birthday gift ever!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads