Problems with Jumping!

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
My landlord was in town for the weekend and stopped by to give us the rent receipt. Boadie must going through the teenage stages, he is not listening and jumping more and more on people. It's been hard to deal with this new super rebellious stage. It's totally draining me and the bf. Anyways, the land lord was over and Boadie would not stop jumping on her! So embarrassing!:ashamed: I told him no, still he did not listen to me then, I tried telling him to sit and he decided to ignore me again. So I grabbed him and put hi into a sit and told him to stay. I worked for a moment but then he was back to jumping! So I finally had to put him inside! I know this was him being bad mostly but she was also talking baby talk to hi m and bending over at him. So I told her to stand up straight and that it has a lot to do with body language. I know we have to keep up the training and enforcing the rules more now than ever but he is so energetic and crazy. And to top it off we have our CGC class final in TWO WEEKS!:excited: I don't know how he is going to do with this attitude he has. We are going to have to go on a five mile hike before the test!:pray:

How many of you have bullies that jump on people? What do you guys do to help control it?

ScottFree00

Dec 13, 2012
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Have you taught him "off"? That's what worked for my lab. When he jumps on you don't touch him or say a word. Turn your back to him until he quits then say "off" and treat.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Meeko done this constantly .. He still would if i let him. He too has selective hearing when visitors come into the house and would pee with excitement! especially when my 4 & 2yr old niece and nephew came over (he loves kids) and he would knock them over on accident. We never crate trained him so had to find something different...

When visitors would come we would tell them first COMPLETELY ignore him no fussing talking to him dont even look at him. Theyr at the house to see us not him and dont want him to get excited thinkin hes gonna get attention.. This helped and soon stopped the peein with excitement hes more calm when people come in now. Stage 2 of our technique was keep puttin him on his bed saying 'BED' sternly and then point and say 'STAY' .. The first few times he tries to sneak off his bed but soon give in and stays put.. When he stays calm hes allowed off it as long as he doesnt get excited and jump up again.. If he does straight back to bed until hes calm and when he is visitors are allowed to pay him attention as long as he stays calm. If not.. Back to bed! Poor Meeko i sound a harsh bully mum but thats the only way we could stop him xx

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
I punish the humans she only jumps on ppl who let her soooooo I seriously scold the humans n tell them no n explain they have to tell her no and down n not pet her when she's jumping or else they encourage bad behavior :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
I punish the humans she only jumps on ppl who let her soooooo I seriously scold the humans n tell them no n explain they have to tell her no and down n not pet her when she's jumping or else they encourage bad behavior :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ROFL: .. You need a naughty step/corner for humans lol

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:cursing: Yup! Jake has a tendency to think everyone wants him..close and personal. We also tell everyone, no looking at him,no talking to him and we use Down for our word. We do use the bended knee technique. Into his chest and then say..Down. It works..but once again..Repeat..Repeat..Repeat..

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:cursing: Yup! Jake has a tendency to think everyone wants him..close and personal. We also tell everyone, no looking at him,no talking to him and we use Down for our word. We do use the bended knee technique. Into his chest and then say..Down. It works..but once again..Repeat..Repeat..Repeat..

This is what I do also. And tell the visitor to try and ignore and say down. I push them to sit too. I have my hands full and two of them are the greeters, the other's don't jump.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
The hardest part with jumping is teaching the visitors who insist its ok. No sight no sound no touch. My daughter actually hung a note on our door that said: Dog in training, ignore him, no sight no sound no touch. My daughter just went to a training seminar and asked about jumping. Her suggestion was to use a no pull harness with the leash. Step on the leash so the dog doesn't feel it's connected to you. We tried this the other day and it worked.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online