Iggy never pees in crate but now poops! HELP!

freddyisagirlsname

Jan 4, 2013
Key West, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
Please help! Iggy has had 2 poop accidents in his crate in the last 2 days! This is so surprising, since he's been great with his crate and NEVER pees in it, even during the night when he's in there for 7 hours at a time. But the past 2 mornings we've woken up to a big poo in there! What's going on?

My husband thinks we feed him too much and he isn't able to hold it through the night. We feed him Blue Buffalo Wilderness at 9am, 1pm, and 8pm, 3/4 to 1 cup per feeding. He eats RAVENOUSLY and never leaves any kibble. He weighs almost 26 lbs and is 17 weeks old. We take him out on a very regular schedule, and he always poops right before he goes to bed. He hasn't had any accidents in the house in a really long time.

Any feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

And here are two recent photos of Mr. Iggles to make this post a little more interesting. :) iggy1.jpgiggy2.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, love the pics. He's very cute. How old is Iggy? I don't think you're over feeding him, I fed my two guys 1 cup three times a day while they were small puppies, they ate at 8 am, 2pm, and again at 8 pm, so it's almost the same schedule as yours. We switched them to 2 feedings a day when they were 7 months old. What time do you take him out in the morning? Is it when you wake up, or do you set the alarm clock? What we did was we would set the alarm clock for 6 am and take them out , then did the every hour or two schedule throughout the day, with the last outing at about 11 or 11:30 pm, then we would set our cell phone alarm for 2 am, to go out, as the time between 11 pm at night to 6am is too long a time for a puppy to hold, we did this until they were 5 months old, and then were able to eliminate the middle of the night outing, but we still set the morning alarm for 6 am before they can go in the crate. Good luck.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Perhaps backing up the 8pm feeding to 6pm and cutting it back to 1/2 cup . give him a bigger feeding for lunch or breakfast

bcarro45

Jan 15, 2013
Pasadena,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaux
We are on the same schedule as you guys and feeding the same food. My pup is 14 weeks, does good in his crate throughout the night. Fortunately i work night shift and come by the house every 3 hrs while on patrol. I notied it is hard for mine to hold it more than three hours, again I know he is 14 weeks old so i understand. It seems like every week or so, ill come home and let him out around three, he messes outside, then my wife wakes up and he messes in is crate around 5:30, but then 3 days will go by and no accidents in the crate.

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
First off - he's a sweetheart! I don't think you're feeding him too much either, maybe do back up the 8pm feeding. We also have to remember he's ONLY 17 weeks old, and he is a Bulldog! :) I have two 16 week old puppies right now, and we're taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back daily. Just when I think we're getting somewhere, someone leaves me a present. I also have to wonder, bulldogs like their normalcy (sp), has something changed? They usually act up when you've changed something. At least mine do!

OP
freddyisagirlsname

freddyisagirlsname

Jan 4, 2013
Key West, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Iggy
Thanks for the advice everyone! We kept his morning and noon feedings the same, but we are only giving him 1/2 cup at night and backed that feeding up to 6pm. Worked great - he didn't have an accident this morning! Also, I think giving him a little less food is good for him, as his poop has been pretty soft and runny for the last little while. It seemed a lot firmer this morning. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.