Bedding, bedding, and more bedding....

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Just wanted to get some input. As most of you know, Ellie likes to eat her towels/blankets. Since the last unplanned vet visit due to this, I've done a much better job of limiting her time with towels/blankets. She only gets them at night when she goes to bed and that's because she's generally much more gentle with them and is asleep within 5 minutes of turning out the light. She does, however, suckle herself to sleep at times that results in a a corner (maybe 2"x1" section) that is shredded the next day. The shredded piece at night isn't very common, but it has occurred. During the day, she just has to tough it out with nothing but a few toys in her crate since I'm not there. We've also tried some cheaper pet beds and Ellie seems to LOVE them, but it goes back to the suckling thing. Within a few days, she's put a hole in the corner. I'm tempted to buy stock in the Wal-Mart brand of towels if I keep this up, so I was wondering if you do allow bedding at night, what you allow? I know some on here have mentioned that bedding is a no go....period. I'd like for her to have something to curl up on at night as I don't trust her to have free run of part of the house yet.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would not give her any towel at all since she is still chewing them. We have two females that sleep in their crates without any bedding because of the same reason.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Completely agree w/Davidh...we must do what we need to do, for their safety.

With Brutus, I also had to take out and keep out, anything at all.

It didn't seem to bother him, he was always happy to go in his crate and went
right to sleep!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Will she chew a rug? If yes, then yeah, no bedding is probably your only option.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others have said.... it may be best to not have anything on the try.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
Princess Cleo get a super fluffy bed in her crate at night to rest her tired head on but Mac, yeah Mac doesn't even get a crate pan let alone any bedding. First, he pee's on anything remotely soft in his crate as he likes to sleep in his warm urine. He used to have the crate pan but he also chewed that up to shred. I bought another but he showed signs of doing that again so he has to tough it out on the wires and linoleum. Luckily, the crate is very large and the wired bottom doesn't bother him but I'd like to give him something nicer to sleep on soon. He just has to outgrow it I guess.

RAKA Bulldogs

Jan 24, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oscar
Ugh...one of our girls ate a blanket, and had something funny hanging out of her bottom!!! Do you pull? Do you leave it? LOL... Funny now, wasn't then. I agree with everyone here, if you can't be nice to your blankie, you just don't get one! Another one of our girls does the "suckling" thing, but that's all she does, doesn't eat it or destroy it, she's also 5, so let's hope she knows better by this age, right? I think it's just a pacifying thing, I've heard of a few bulldogs who do this just before bed and they fall asleep.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.