Thou That Does't Not Scoop!

Gunny B

Jul 19, 2012
Marysville, Wa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Beaufort & Denali (Boxer)
Oh I just show up on their porch with dog ***** in hand and a smile on my face, letting them know they forgot something.

Did I mention I probably am not the "favorite" neighbor?

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
My apartment complex has doggy stations - with free baggies and a trash can, at every little yard around the complex. Almost everyone has dogs, and pretty much everyone cleans it up because of the convenience! If you don't have them already, maybe suggest it to the neighborhood association? That way no one is ever caught without a baggie :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I would tackle this in stages as follows:

1.) Make sure the community by-laws have a provision that anybody caught not picking up after their dog in the community - whether they live in the community or not - is going to be fined. Also add in the by-laws that pet owners release the right to photographs taken in community property for purposes of reporting dog-scooping problem. Notify all community members about these laws.
2.) Send a reminder notice to everyone in the community about the dog waste problem.
3.) Install signs (with a reference to the community law) in problem areas. Put a phone number/email address for people to contact if they encounter non-scoopers - with cellphones having cameras nowadays, it's a bit easier to self-police.
4.) Install a waste station, the cost of which can be included in the community association budget. There are places that will install pet receptacles for something like $20/month/station for 2 years after which you own it. This makes it easier to budget in the association funds.
5.) If this does not solve the problem - send another notice warning all pet owners that if this problem does not get solved, that you will raise the community association fees by X amount of dollars to hire a pet waste removal service.
6.) If this still doesn't solve the problem, just go ahead and hire the pet waste removal service folks using association funds.

Disclaimer: I've never done this before nor know of anyone who does this. I'm just thinking what I would do in the same circumstances.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Believe it or not, we just read of a large association here in Florida(not exactly sure where) that is actually doing DNA testing on pet waste, and if your pets is identified, huge fine! I love it!!

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] - I love how you're thinking on this one! I also love the step by step approach.

If there were such a budget, wouldn't it be awesome to have a "bounty" on offenders? Take video of someone NOT scooping and get $50 or something. LOL (I would pay that - no kidding - to teach someone a big *** lesson....!)

I will be going over the community rules first! There is a law in Snohomish County and I've made reference to that law in one of my newsletter reminders. Like anything it's 20% of the people causing 80% of the problem. I'd even go as far as to say 10% / 90%.

What's the net result of NOT doing this? Also add in the by-laws that pet owners release the right to photographs taken in community property for purposes of reporting dog-scooping problem. Notify all community members about these laws. With the way cell phones are these days, can you get sued by taking a picture of someone breaking the law?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
@anatess - I love how you're thinking on this one! I also love the step by step approach.

If there were such a budget, wouldn't it be awesome to have a "bounty" on offenders? Take video of someone NOT scooping and get $50 or something. LOL (I would pay that - no kidding - to teach someone a big *** lesson....!)

I will be going over the community rules first! There is a law in Snohomish County and I've made reference to that law in one of my newsletter reminders. Like anything it's 20% of the people causing 80% of the problem. I'd even go as far as to say 10% / 90%.

What's the net result of NOT doing this? Also add in the by-laws that pet owners release the right to photographs taken in community property for purposes of reporting dog-scooping problem. Notify all community members about these laws. With the way cell phones are these days, can you get sued by taking a picture of someone breaking the law?

You can take pictures of anything on public property... hence, celebrities can't really stop paparrazis unless they take pictures of the celebrity in her private place (like those rag-photos of the Princess sunbathing naked) then they can sue. Your community would be considered private property so you have to make it a community law to have rights to photos taken on community grounds ONLY for the purpose of dog scooping problem reporting. Anybody walking in your community or living in your community will be subject to those laws.

Without this piece of the steps, your poop signs won't have "teeth" because there wouldn't be proof positive of the culprits. Anybody reporting on somebody else would be just a "his word against mine" kind of thing - which could work as a deterrent (which may be enough to solve your problem) but not really for imposing consequences unless you hire cops to catch offenders. This, of course, can be changed to something like video surveillance - in which case, you still have to put it in your community by-laws that video surveillance is available and that the videos can be used to catch culprits.

Last edited:
OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] - I see! Understood. *putting my thinking cap on*

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We had a problem with other owners when we lived in town. I would see someone walking their dog, who decided that my yard needed a gift, and I would take note as to whether or not the owner had a bag in hand - if not I immeditely ran to the kitchen to get one, walked out and asked them if they "forgot" theirs at home and handed it to them.

A young man, 13 or so, says, "what am I suppose to do with it when I pick it up?" Which only tells me that he never picked up poo when walking his baby. *Sigh*

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
I live in a subdivision with a HOA and can't stand it when others don't clean up after their dogs. My neighbor has a mutt of some sorts that barks 24/7. They even put her outside at 7:00 on Saturday mornings and guess what it does....it barks and barks and barks and barks. Well it also has a habit of leaving unwanted presents in my yard. :cursing: Last summer, I was cutting grass in the side yard with the push mower when I see the dog trotting into my yard while the owner is standing next to his house on his cell phone. Well then she trots right on over and by this time I still have the lawn mower going but stationary while I watch. Then the sniffing and circling start. I'm just standing there with the lawn mower looking at the dog and then the owner. Once she stops and starts to haunch over, I tear across my driveway with the lawn mower in front of me, front wheels a good 2 feet off the ground, blade just a spinning, and making a sprint towards "Lucy" (sorry bully owners with bullies named Lucy). That dog tore off like something jumped up and bit her in the tail piece. So by the time I get to where she was about to drop off the browns, the lawn mower is back down on all 4 wheels and I'm yelling at the dog to get back to where it belongs before I call animal control. The owner, having seen it all, comes running to tell me how rude I'm being. Even though my 2/3 of an acre is about 80% wooded, what front and side yard I have is treated year round so that it's nice and green and looks nice. I tell him what's rude is that I pay money that I work for to maintain my yard and some people don't understand that there's a leash law in our county, that it's "ok" to let your dog :poo: wherever they feel like and not clean it up, that it'd only take a phone call before he's posting bail at animal control, and that it's no fun having to tip toe around :poo: just to cut your grass. He picked up his dog and stormed off. He still refuses to return my waves when I see him outside.

Another family down the street has a Yorkie and and a cattle dog/Australian Sheppard of some sort that they walk daily. They used to let them do their business anywhere they liked. I would constantly see them use my yard as their own personal facilities. So how did I handle this? Like any self respecting dues paying member of the HOA. I waited until they turned around after walking past my house, shoveled up the :poo:, waited for them to walk past my yard on their way home, tossed it out into the street in front of them, and politely told them that they forgot to clean up after fido. The blank expression was classic. Since then, they've used the empty and overgrown/wooded lots in the subdivision for their dogs since they don't want to clean up after them. Granted Ellie uses the empty lots as well, but that's ok according to the by laws.

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
I will be putting together the newsletter for February this week, after the HOA board meeting on Wednesday night.

First step - I am going to step up my game with fear tactics and share the most DISGUSTING DOG POO FACTS I can find via the magic of the internet. I'm also going to again, recite the county law regarding the same. I'm also going to include this:

"An anonymous member of our community has offered to pay for the installation and monitoring of web cams in key areas around the park where we have an on-going problem." What do you think the penalty should be? Log on to: w.surveymonkey.blahdeblah and share your opinion!" Password for the survey is: PICKITUP"

hahahahahahahahahaha

I friggin wish this were true.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] We lived im a complex that actually dna tested anything left behind and then charges owners 500 for a @first offence. I didn't believe this was possible when I read it in the news letter so I googled it and low and behold IT IS!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I should add from what I read the service it's self was pretty cheap. The complex would have made a killing handing out these fines.

truffle shuffle

Dec 23, 2012
DC area
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk
PeopleWe live in a townhouse, and out of our little cluster of 7 homes, only 1 dose NOT have a dog... however we are the ONLY people that pick up after our dog. The common yard is COVERED in poop, and the HOA does nothing about it. Really? I pay the same as all my neighbors but can't step out in the common area without poo coated shoes. It's infurriating, thank goddess my yard is fenced, or I would be returning any packages left behind!! I have put poo bags in their mailboxes, gift baskets, and randomly on doorsteps, I will continue until they get the hint. :p

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] - I never knew such a thing existed!
[MENTION=7467]truffle shuffle[/MENTION] - NO KIDDING? Unbelievable!!!!

Grrrrr@ non-scoopers everywhere! :cursing:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Here is what I have heard works.... You take a paper bag and scoop up the poop into it. Place the bag on the offenders cement porch or walk. Light the bag on fire, ring the doorbell and run!!... When they come to the door their first instinct will be to stomp out the fire... Surprise!!!!! :laugh:

For you Serious Sams... I am ONLY KIDDING!!!!!! Dont try this at home. LOL

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.