Thou That Does't Not Scoop!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Here in my complex (where everyone is over 55) we have folks who DO NOT SCOOP when their pups take a dump. There's also a weight restriction for dogs -- for which mine blow right past the limit -- so most of the poops ARE tiny -- but who cares? It's still CRAP! There are signs posted at the doggie area. There are reminders in the Home Owners Association Newsletter (of which I am editor) yet, the problem continues and its even getting worse! At my last address - a condo - owners were fined if they were caught not picking up after their dogs. In Paris, they have a staff of "Uncivility Officers" that patrol the streets looking for uncivil offenders of every type (littering, etc. also) and dispense tickets.

Have you experienced / seen / been part of a particularly effective means of GETTIN' FOLKS TO SCOOP?! PLEASE SHARE! My latest fantasy involves web cams and delivering offending turds to the paw-rents; but who has THAT kind of time? I need suggestions! HELP!

M

mabel lou

I was stopped one day from a passer by for walking around the corner with my bag and scooper. A person stopped his car and told me he was just amazed at how I walked my girl and she went potty on the side of the road which she never had done before and I was floored that she did it as well. But I went home got my bag and scooper and came back and cleaned it up. He said he wished most people would be that responsible for there animals as I was. Made me smile and I agreed because i have a few stray dogs who like to go in my yard if I am not looking.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I get more irritated by the horse poop though and wish that they would carry super sized bags and shovel it up. Nothing worse than cleaning a Bully who thought rolling in Horse Poop would make him smell better :/

My Dad would scoop it up off the road when I was growing up and use it on his roses!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Im the Activities director for a development here in Ohio and we have the same problem. Some of the residents just don't pick up after their dogs!!

Also, it's not a gated community so there is nothing to stop people walking across from a near-by development and using the walking trails we have. So there are suspicions that the poop is from some of those people too!! :down:

So although Im not much help .... I would be interested if you come up with an answer to this problem!!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
One of the reasons we have a fence around the front garden of our house is because it is all flower garden and people who walk their dogs aren't always careful or considerate. I not only found the "gifts" they left objectionable, but I also didn't like my flowers being trampled. At least now they can only get onto the curb side. And I must say that since we removed the grass and put raised planters in the center of those that we have not had issues for the most part. I think once in the two years since we finished it there has been a :poo: deposit.
I know that won't help in your situation though. So all I can do is commiserate with you.

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I have a similar problem, none of us have fenced yards in this housing so we just let the dogs out in the front and most people pick it up at least once a day. We do it once a day, sometimes twice but we have some owners who'll walk their dogs past my "yard" and let them go and then keep on walking. I guess they think that we'll pick it up anyway since we have two dogs of our own and do it anyway, which they are right, we do!! BUT, it's very easy to tell when it's not ours due to size and consistency since mine are raw feeders it's a little different than kibble poop. It's very rude:bitching:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I live in a development and most everybody walks their dog. We live on a corner lot and it a lot of area to cover. I can tell by the size of the poop who's dog left it and one of these days. I'm going to make a deposit of my own on their side walk.:poo:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We also live in a condo complex, there are 32 houses, they are detached , not townhouses, and besides our 2 dogs, there are only 2 other people who have dogs, they are both small dogs, and they both live at the top of the complex. We never see any poop in our complex, as it is a private complex and you hardly ever see your neighbours, and nobody ever walks through here as well. We scoop up the poop as soon as they do it, so there isn't ever any poop left outside, but when we go to the park or walk we always see poop that hasn't been scooped. I hate this as you either step in it, or the dogs step in it, and then you have to wash them, it's gross. My dogs don't eat it thank goodness, but will sometimes will roll in it, YUK. I've been to the leash free park a couple of times, and for the most part, people do pick up after their dogs, our dog park provides poop and scoop bags, and has many receptacles to dispose of the poop bags, so there is no reason not to clean up after your dog , but I have seen big piles of dog poop in this park. It's just laziness. Maybe something like this idea would be good for your complex, a station with poop bags, and a receptacle like a metal garbage can where the bags could be disposed of in. Most dog owners are responsible, and caring people who clean after their pets, but unfortunately there are always going to be the few who aren't who ruin it for everyone else, and this is the reason why so many places and landlords don't like or refuse to rent to people with pets, because of the damage that the irresponsible dog owners allow to happen.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
a security camera around the pet area, is a suggestion, even if its a 'fake one' (Just dont tell anyone its fake' if they THINK they are on camera . . . .
if that isnt an option, gather up all of the :poo: when you know Exactly who it is, and make a 'delivery' at their front door, or on their car, or whereever, with a little note - 'I think you dropped something in the pet area, and I know you didnt want it to be lost'

My next door neighbor was HORRIBLE about letting their cocker Spanial out. They would open the door and let it run, to which it would run right into my yard and take a dump, as it was 'her hot spot' what did they care, they didnt have to pick up the :poo: cause it wasnt left in their yard. Their little POS Dog would come into my yard, up onto my deck, and Gizmo would go BONKERS ! cause she couldnt get out to get the 'intruder' -

I tried -

1) being nice and 'mentioning it to them' suggested a leash
2) a letter being a bit firmer - suggested a leash or a fenced in yard
3) following the dog right back to their house right after it had dumped in my yard (3 inches of snow..you could see the trail from their back door, to my yard, dump and return') with a shovel full of its :poo: , I knocked on the door, and told them for the 1000th time, they need to leash / control their dog. I was tempted to dump the shovelful at their feet INSIDE their house, but I just turned it over on their patio.

4) Picking up their puppy bombs, and tossing it back over into their yard, as they were gardening, or having friends over (yes, Whoo Flung Poo!) (this was Prior to us having Gizmo)

FINALLY, I would pick up their :poo: and toss it at their front porch and door, the one they go into and out of. This must of worked, I dont know if its an Asian Culture thing (to Not pick up the poo, or be totally disgusted by poo flung on their doorstep) but they finally got rid of the dog, I later found out, that they let it out unattended yet again, and it 'ran away' .

They thought I was a dog hater, and she asked my wife how I was doing with having Gizmo ... Dottie replied 'Oh he LOVES Dogs! he just hates bad dog owners who dont pick up after their dogs crapping in our yard!' bless her soul!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Here in my complex (where everyone is over 55) we have folks who DO NOT SCOOP when their pups take a dump. There's also a weight restriction for dogs -- for which mine blow right past the limit -- so most of the poops ARE tiny -- but who cares? It's still CRAP! There are signs posted at the doggie area. There are reminders in the Home Owners Association Newsletter (of which I am editor) yet, the problem continues and its even getting worse! At my last address - a condo - owners were fined if they were caught not picking up after their dogs. In Paris, they have a staff of "Uncivility Officers" that patrol the streets looking for uncivil offenders of every type (littering, etc. also) and dispense tickets.

Have you experienced / seen / been part of a particularly effective means of GETTIN' FOLKS TO SCOOP?! PLEASE SHARE! My latest fantasy involves web cams and delivering offending turds to the paw-rents; but who has THAT kind of time? I need suggestions! HELP!

I am sitting here crying my eyes out from the awful shock of losing my BruBru due to a TEETH CLEANING.

Leave it to YOU to get me laughing in the midst of boo hooing!

*I know it's a serious problem and hope someone has good ideas.*

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
Our condo/townhouse complex has same problems. I am anal about picking up after jameson. I do find it irritating that ppl stop their cars and watch me to make sure. I also have an issue about where our dog walk area is. It is located at the far end of the property. We have 900 plus units and everyone is supposed to walk their? What? For some thats a huge distance. For me it is close but there r times i have to drag jameson because he just wants to go The other issue i hAve is i will not under any circumstance go their after dark. Thei r no lights down there. It is completely black. We hAve coyotes, skunks, deer etc. i dont need to get sprayed. At night we go to an area that is lit and i always clean up

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Here in the UK it is illegal NOT to scoop doggy poop. I get more irritated by the horse poop though and wish that they would carry super sized bags and shovel it up. Nothing worse than cleaning a Bully who thought rolling in Horse Poop would make him smell better :/

You are going to think I'm kookoo for cocoapuffs but I LOVE HORSE MANURE! It only means that there's a horse somewhere nearby! I am horse crazy only second to my EB Crazy Affliction.

our dog park provides poop and scoop bags, and has many receptacles to dispose of the poop bags, so there is no reason not to clean up after your dog , but I have seen big piles of dog poop in this park. It's just laziness. Maybe something like this idea would be good for your complex, a station with poop bags, and a receptacle like a metal garbage can where the bags could be disposed of in.

Interesting you should mention that. This was my first modus operandi! I installed my OWN poopoo bag thing -- hung a plastic roll of doodie bags on a zip tie on the fence at the dog area. THAT STILL DIDN'T DO IT. The owners of our complex added big signs later and now maintain a poop bag dispenser there -- and there's still poo.

a security camera around the pet area, is a suggestion, even if its a 'fake one' (Just dont tell anyone its fake' if they THINK they are on camera . . . .
if that isnt an option, gather up all of the :poo: when you know Exactly who it is, and make a 'delivery' at their front door, or on their car, or whereever, with a little note - 'I think you dropped something in the pet area, and I know you didnt want it to be lost'

You have just described my secret fantasy. I even mentioned this dream to the maintenance guy -- with whom I commiserate. I would LOVE to be the guy who "delivers" the goods! What satisfaction that would be!!! Interestingly, one of the offenders, I'm CERTAIN is the Asian family with the Jack Russell mix, right across from the park. I'm CERTAIN that's who it is. Dang I wish I could catch them at it!!!

I know I've told this story before --- but we've got some new people. LOL During the year I was unemployed, I spent a great deal of time at our complex's dog area. When you're there that much, you notice things. I also used to pick up the doodie; my highest count was EIGHTEEN PILES one day! Well, there is a REALLY drunk guy who brings his sickly looking Pekinese mix there every single day. He turns the dog loose in the yard thing and then sits in his truck and drinks a can of beer. One day, I'm headed in and he's heading out. I hand him a bright orange doggie doo bag and tell him, "Hey, you are supposed to pick up your dog's **** when it takes a dump in here." He took the bag from me -- shocked that I'd say anything - and stammered, "How the hell do you know it's MY dog?" I quickly replied, pointing to the aging, runny eyed mutt at his feet, "Sick little dog. Sick little dog piles. Easy." He staggered around and got he and his dog into the truck and off they went, muttering under his breath. It felt good; even if that drunken bastard never picked up another pile, I had a fantastic story for the homeowner's meeting anyway. LOLOLOL

Some weeks later, I ran into him again there and he went out of his way to inform me that he does pick up his dog's piles. I smiled and told him how much I appreciate it and how much nicer the park would be if everyone did "as we were doing".

I guess I feel a bit better, knowing its just not me and my little part of the world. The February Issue of the HOA newsletter is going to have yet another mention of the importance of dog scooping and not tossing cigarette butts on the ground -- that's littering too. Duh. Here's something I included in a previous newsletter. It's a sign I saw and took a picture off. It reproduced in black and white pretty well. I think it makes a good point.

dog sign - close up.jpg

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yeah, I guess some people just don't get the hint, and no matter what signage, or warnings, or whether there are bags and bins provided, there's always going to be the small percentage of dog owners, who are irresponsible, lazy, or just plain ignorant and ignore them. They are the ones who ruin it for the others who do play by the rules, up I guess you'll always have someone like that in every situation. They are the same ones, who toss there trash, even when there are garbage cans nearby, or toss their cigarette butts wherever, or allow there pets to be a nuisance to their neighbours lawns and yards , and these people may annoy us, but we can't really change them, it's just how they are , or it's their personality, frustrating as it is.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We had a big problem at our previous house... it was not the people that lived there, it was the people coming onto our street to use an access road to the school/park...... it sucks, but there will always be 'people' that think it is not a big deal to leave it in the street or grass because it is not their house or their street.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.