Deaf Bulldog

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Someone else on here was talking about their deaf dog.....fairly recently too. I am white bully crazy these days....I don't know what's wrong with me - but I swear to god, if I could come thru the computer and squish that big white face and smooch on it, I would. What's a sweetie pie!

I would imagine that the bond between dog and human is far more intuitive....their other senses will be turned on "high" all the time. Do you find that's true?

Since dogs view their world "Nose, eyes, then ears", it's probably not that bad of a handicap. Dogs are so adaptable.

How long have you had your pup? What training have you done differently? Any suggestions for others with deaf dogs?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There was someone talking about their bully and how they used hand signs for all the communications

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mila our "Crazy Little White Dog" is deaf. Happiest little dog on the planet. she brings a lot of joy, and expletives that she can't hear, to Our lives . [MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] if I remember correctly, has a lot of experience with deaf dogs. Hand signals, tap on the butt and turning lights on and off are some of the ways we communicate with her. Just like other bulldogs, food works well too. :)

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Mila is deaf. We haven't told her so she is perfectly happy. She is the little white one in my picture.

M

mabel lou

Your baby is very pretty. How do you keep his face so white, and it really is very white and with no tear stains as well. I had to look twice because I am so use to seeing the tear stains or a really red white face.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
He's a handsome fella to be sure!

OP
Lulu belle

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thank you!
I use only filtered water. To be honest I double filter it. There is a lot of iron in our town water so after it goes through the filtration system on our sink, I pass it through a Brita system. It's worth the effort.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
Lulu belle

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
They are both beautiful.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 26
OP
Lulu belle

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thank you! That's a great outfit Princess Grace is wearing. Adorable.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 31
OP
Lulu belle

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Thank you for the welcome. I love it here!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 23
OP
Lulu belle

Lulu belle

Jan 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
First let me start by saying, "Omg" Remi is beautiful, what a cutie.

I didn't realize Max was deaf till he was about 4 months old. Truth be told I didn't realize it at all, my brother pointed it out (of course, I was in denial at first..."he's young, doesn't know his name yet"...."he's a heavy sleeper" and so on).
It was hard for me to know he couldn't hear because from the moment I came home from work, he never left my side. I couldn't use the bathroom or even shower without him. He would claw @ the door & cry until I let him in.

Obviously I used my hands when I spoke to him, he learned how to sit, stay (doesn't always listen to stay) come & give his paw. I thought he was responding to my verbal commands but it was my hand gestures. I looked ASL to teach him to give (when he has something in his mouth).
The down side, he is very insecure. He loves people but doesn't get along with other dogs (I socialized him 3 times a week for 2 years). When he reached 2 years old he let it known he doesn't want any dogs near him & especially not near me.

The upside, thunderstorms, Fourth of July, no problem.

We don't even realizes he's deaf anymore. We can't imagine life without our precious baby boy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 29

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online