Picking up Blue this Sunday (warning lost post)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
So this Sunday we're picking up our Blueberry Muffin. :2thumbs: :excited:

The reality of bringing him home is hitting me and Chris hard.
We think weā€™re prepared, key word here being ā€œthinkā€, but Iā€™m sure we missed a ton of stuff.
(This is my vent bit) Whatā€™s not helping is Chrisā€™ been putting off a business trip until we get Blue. He canā€™t put it off any longer so it looks like Iā€™ll be on my own either next week, or the week after.:*(
Him being gone for a week scares me, and it's not something Iā€™m looking forward to in the least with a new puppy. :pouting: :pray2: (vent over).

To make it as easy as possible on Blue (and us), I think I got everything we need to start with. I compiled a list of the items we have below. If I'm missing anything, please
let me know. I have today and tomorrow to get those last minute items.

1. 36ā€ Crate, Doggie gate, old towels and blanket for crate, doggie bed for the living room.
2. A ton of Kong and Nylabone toys and a few stuffed animals.
3. A collar and leash (forgot the doggie tags but getting those tomorrow).
4. Brush
5. Ordered NuVet because apparently my breeder does use it.
6. Ordered the food heā€™s on and should get it next week. Sheā€™s giving me a 10lb bag when I pick him up.
7. Snout Soother, Witch Hazel Pads and a 16 oz bottle, Mal-a-Ket wipes and DermaPet Malacetic Otic AP - 16 oz, Cotton balls, Desitin Diaper Rash ointment, Neosporin, Lemon juice.

What I need is a recommendation for nail clippers, something small that I can use for a puppy.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...You-should-have-if-you-own-an-English-Bulldog

There are a couple articles about bringing home your new puppy on EBN. But basically, you are bringing a baby home, albeit it doesnt look like any baby youve had previously. ;)
Just know you wont be alone,,,, you have all of us that will help you. Don't be shy about asking questions..... Answering questions and learning from each other is what this site is about... OH,,, dont forget the cameras.... video too if you have it. ;)

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
So this Sunday we're picking up our Blueberry Muffin. :2thumbs: :excited:

The reality of bringing him home is hitting me and Chris hard.
We think weā€™re prepared, key word here being ā€œthinkā€, but Iā€™m sure we missed a ton of stuff.
(This is my vent bit) Whatā€™s not helping is Chrisā€™ been putting off a business trip until we get Blue. He canā€™t put it off any longer so it looks like Iā€™ll be on my own either next week, or the week after.:*(
Him being gone for a week scares me, and it's not something Iā€™m looking forward to in the least with a new puppy. :pouting: :pray2: (vent over).

To make it as easy as possible on Blue (and us), I think I got everything we need to start with. I compiled a list of the items we have below. If I'm missing anything, please
let me know. I have today and tomorrow to get those last minute items.

1. 36ā€ Crate, Doggie gate, old towels and blanket for crate, doggie bed for the living room.
2. A ton of Kong and Nylabone toys and a few stuffed animals.
3. A collar and leash (forgot the doggie tags but getting those tomorrow).
4. Brush
5. Ordered NuVet because apparently my breeder does use it.
6. Ordered the food heā€™s on and should get it next week. Sheā€™s giving me a 10lb bag when I pick him up.
7. Snout Soother, Witch Hazel Pads and a 16 oz bottle, Mal-a-Ket wipes and DermaPet Malacetic Otic AP - 16 oz, Cotton balls, Desitin Diaper Rash ointment, Neosporin, Lemon juice.

What I need is a recommendation for nail clippers, something small that I can use for a puppy.

I would get a normal size clipper that will handle her nails when they are bigger and thicker. Otherwise you end up buying another pair when she outgrows the smaller pair. Also I would get an antifungal shampoo as a preventative to help keep yeast at bay, also an ear wash and start washing her ears ASAP or you will have a 10month old that goes bananas when she needs her ears cleaned. Also I recommend a harness as opposed to a collar . I've had great luck with the easy walk harness it's what her trainer recommended when she was younger, it stops them from pulling. Good luck & congrat! Those puppy months go fast enjoy them! They are challenging but worth it and will leaving you wanting another puppy!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] Thank you. Just went through the link and I forgot Pumpkin and a few other items.
I will be asking a ton of questions once he's home. No doubt about that.. lol.. and pictures, ha! I am that tourist that everyone makes fun of, always with the camera. Even in my own neighborhood, lol..

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=6209]Scueva[/MENTION] Thanks for the recommendations. I'm putting off the harness for now as I won't be able to take him out for at least 4-6 weeks, so no idea what size to get. I will be on top of ear cleaning like you mentioned. But the nail trimming is scaring me. I wanted something small so I can get used to doing it too.. lol

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
And dont forget that she shouldnt go anywhere til she is completely done with all her shots... ask vet about when that will be.
ps: are you the tourist that is dragging her husband along... he, in Bermuda shorts, dress shoes, and knee length black dress socks???? :laugh:

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] :rofl: .. I'm not THAT touristy. It's only my camera that always gives us away.. :D (drives my husband crazy).
Vet's coming by on Tuesday. She does house calls, and I thought that was safer than taking a new pup to the vets office.

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
I would get desitin or some sort of diaper cream because when you bring a puppy home and if you decide to change food they will get the runs from the stress and I always out a little diaper rash cream on the butt so they dont get raw and also on the skin folds if they red ans a little raw i use the cream as well. I swear by malacetic otic and clean the ears with it once a week and every time after a bath. It kills bacteria and yeast it is also good on tear stains just dont get to close to the eye. Other than that good luck!

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=5264]sweetpeasmom2008[/MENTION] thank you.
Do you use the malacetic otic in his ear canal and massage? or just put it on some cotton swabs/balls and only clean the parts you can see?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It might be a good idea to Dremel the nails, It a small sander works great and it's nice for them to use to this method, then you don't have to deal with rough sharp edges of the nail, you can round them off.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] thank you for the idea. gonna check if my local pet stores have it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Pet stores generally dont have Dremel tools.... it is more of a hardware store or big box store item. The rotary nail trimmers that the pet stores sell.... uh, well,,, not so good. ;) Dremel brand is worth the extra you pay for them.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just ordered the pet version from Amazon. To qualify for free shipping I of course had to order another toy too..lol..

sweetpeasmom2008

Bully lovin' movie buff
Community Veteran
Jun 29, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola and Lucy
@BlueberrysMom-I put it in the ear then put her ear flap over her ear and rub it in there then i put some on a cotton makeup pad and get in all the cracks and wipe down the upper skin of the ear with it as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
YEAH.... more new puppy pictures!! Can't wait.... you sound like you are all set.... good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.