Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 25

Thread: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

  1. #13
    Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Posts
    1,491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
    Lol we have two sort of uncommon breeds so sometimes I dont know what to expect or what is normal, and not all trainers have extensive experience with our breeds. I am also on a mastiff forum as I think it is best to get advice from people who are experienced with both breeds. What i mean by playful stance is that sampson never assumes a submissive position or releases the toy. He accidentally bite her face the last time they played tug, he takes it very seriously lol, stella wont hang on the rope endlessly, she will bite at it, like releasing and it then grabbing it. Sampson doesn't play fetch because once he gets the ball or toy we cant get it back. He used to jump on me when I had a toy in my hand but i started making him sit before I would throw it.
    Sampson is dominant... for now. This could change later. A dominant dog will not assume a submissive position ever... Until he loses his place. This challenge could come at anytime... Usually when they are in that in-between puppy to adult age. This is when fights can occur...

    I'm worried that you can't get Sampson to drop a toy. This is not a good sign. You don't have to get the toy back when you throw it, but you should at least be able to get him to give the toy to you whenever you want it. You're momma dog. Second only to papa dog (your bf). All resources are yours.
    Last edited by anatess; 01-25-2013 at 03:53 AM.

    I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

  2. #14
    Pooper scooper Sampson's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sampson
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    Sampson is dominant... for now. This could change later. A dominant dog will not assume a submissive position ever... Until he loses his place. This challenge could come at anytime... Usually when they are in that in-between puppy to adult age. This is when fights can occur...

    I'm worried that you can't get Sampson to drop a toy. This is not a good sign. You don't have to get the toy back when you throw it, but you should at least be able to get him to give the toy to you whenever you want it. You're momma dog. Second only to papa dog (your bf). All resources are yours.
    i agree, it was something i didnt like but my bf thinks thats just the way sampson is. Ive starting making sampson sit before he gets feed. I think we will start working on that. and i like the idea of stopping it before he gets the toy from her and vice versa.

  3. #15
    Pooper scooper Sampson's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sampson
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Also, do you guys think there are some training exercises i can do with Sampson to help with the resource guarding? I dont just want to limit it to "in the moment" experiences. I want to work him being more obedient with giving us back things. He doesnt tolerate people trying to take things from him, which can be dangerous. He can be a bit stubborn as well lol, so if he doesnt want to do something he was just look at you like "nope, dont feel like doing that" lol. I dont know if it was a lack of positive reward or just a failure to set strict rules in puppy hood? My boyfriend says that you have to yell at Sampson to make him listen but I dont know if that is best for a dog... I personally dont take that approach my the Corso because she gets fearful if we yell, its very counter productive with her. But i dont know about bulldogs...

  4. #16
    Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Posts
    1,491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
    Also, do you guys think there are some training exercises i can do with Sampson to help with the resource guarding? I dont just want to limit it to "in the moment" experiences. I want to work him being more obedient with giving us back things. He doesnt tolerate people trying to take things from him, which can be dangerous. He can be a bit stubborn as well lol, so if he doesnt want to do something he was just look at you like "nope, dont feel like doing that" lol. I dont know if it was a lack of positive reward or just a failure to set strict rules in puppy hood? My boyfriend says that you have to yell at Sampson to make him listen but I dont know if that is best for a dog... I personally dont take that approach my the Corso because she gets fearful if we yell, its very counter productive with her. But i dont know about bulldogs...
    Bullys are smart dogs. Because of this, they have the tendency to analyze a situation to determine the benefit to them before doing anything. Added to that, bulldogs have an independent streak, so pleasing the master is not always enough incentive. Hence, they get the label, stubborn. A lot of times, parents just allow the bully to "rule the house" without problems. This is not ideal but, no harm if the parents like it that way and their bullys are still manageable.

    In your case though, your bully is showing some behavior problem (as I understand it from your posts) so you might want to establish control over your dog. In any dog, bully or otherwise, negative training is always not a good idea. Yelling is a negative reaction. Positive training is better. So, when it comes to bully training, what your goal is, is to get your bully to analyze the situation and consistently conclude it is to his benefit to do what you tell him to do. So yes, incentive training is usually the way to go. Bullys usually love food... I can get my dominant bully to do anything with a small piece of sliced bread...

    I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

  5. #17
    Pooper scooper Sampson's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sampson
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Dont get me wrong, Sampson is a great dog, and he is loved very much. However, I think he got away with a lot as a puppy, and to be honest, it wasnt a huge deal until we got another dog. And a few years down the road we plan to a get a third, but first we have to see how this experience pans out. So far there have been no major issues, but I see some red flags and I dont know enough about the breed to know how to properly handle the situation. I know that mastiffs and CC's have some special needs that dont apply to other breeds, so I am sure that the same is true for bulldogs. I think Sampson has some "sense of entitlement issues lol, maybe as if he thinks he is on the same level as adam and I. How should I approach this in general? more training overall?

  6. #18
    Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Posts
    1,491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
    Dont get me wrong, Sampson is a great dog, and he is loved very much. However, I think he got away with a lot as a puppy, and to be honest, it wasnt a huge deal until we got another dog. And a few years down the road we plan to a get a third, but first we have to see how this experience pans out. So far there have been no major issues, but I see some red flags and I dont know enough about the breed to know how to properly handle the situation. I know that mastiffs and CC's have some special needs that dont apply to other breeds, so I am sure that the same is true for bulldogs. I think Sampson has some "sense of entitlement issues lol, maybe as if he thinks he is on the same level as adam and I. How should I approach this in general? more training overall?
    Bulldogs sure are not-your-regular-dog. They are a lot more challenging to keep both in establishing good-manners-and-right-conduct and good health. You're going to get lots of "ah-yeah, my bulldog gets that too" on this site about "sense of entitlement syndrome". They are great dogs and get away with a lot because... well, it's hard to say No to that face...

    But yes, your situation is different. My suggestion is to do the same basic training with your bulldog that you're giving to your Corsi. They will have different reactions - Corsis are "Anything for you, mommy" dogs while bulldogs are "Say what?" dogs so you adjust your level of training accordingly. Consistency is key - between both dogs.

    If you want a very interesting life ahead of you... choose a bichon frise for your 3rd dog... talk about not-your-regular-dog. LOL!
    Last edited by anatess; 01-25-2013 at 05:41 AM.

    I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

  7. #19
    Pooper scooper Sampson's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sampson
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    They will have different reactions - Corsis are "Anything for you, mommy" dogs while bulldogs are "Say what?" dogs so you adjust your level of training accordingly. Consistency is key - between both dogs.
    - haha you nailed my dogs personalities! Sampson needs some extra convincing.

    If you want a very interesting life ahead of you... choose a bichon frise for your 3rd dog... talk about not-your-regular-dog. LOL!
    haha! we have talked about it and we want a little more of your "average dog" for a third one lol.

  8. #20
    Feed Store Operator
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    739
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Duchess
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Quote Originally Posted by Sampson View Post
    Attachment 35922 Attachment 35923 Attachment 35924
    Also, I want to clarify that when I say I taught Stella to pick a different toy it refers to a certain situation. you see how the dog is on the arm of the couch in the second picture? well, id say 90% of time that the dogs bring the toy up there, they get all situated and what not and then the you falls.... they just stare it, so sad looking lol. Well, when Stella would drop it Sampson would immediately snatch it up lol Stella would go to get the toy back but she would be too slow, in those situations I would tell Stella to pick something different, hand her a new toy to chew on and tell her "good". As you can see from the pictures though, she loves him dearly and wants to be close to him all the time, she will even choose him over me or my bf sometimes! lol and he is really good with her when no possessions are involved, and sometimes he is better than others, it all depends on his mood i guess lol. Im still trying to figure Sampson out, he is unlike any dog/breed ive ever known.

    And yes, this is my first CC, I understand that some people say they are "not for first time owners" but I spent about a year researching the breed and learning about dogs in general, although I am still learning and will continue to educate myself. I am obsessed with my dogs and take training my CC very seriously. I will admit that training an 8 month old puppy that weighs 90 pounds is difficult, definitely requires a lot of my energy and time. My boyfriend actually hates how much time I spend on her lol. My issue has been that I have taken a "back seat" when it comes to training/dealing with Sampson because he is not "my dog" but the longer my bf have lived together the more he has become my dog too, so I think its appropriate for me to become more involved with Sampson.




    So awesome! They are both gorgeous but I love that corso! If I didn't live in a high rise condo I seriously would get a corso or Neapolitan mastiff! Good luck! Keep the pics coming! Corsos are sooo rare! How old was he when you got him?

  9. #21
    Pooper scooper Sampson's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sampson
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    So awesome! They are both gorgeous but I love that corso! If I didn't live in a high rise condo I seriously would get a corso or Neapolitan mastiff! Good luck! Keep the pics coming! Corsos are sooo rare! How old was he when you got him?
    Tibetan Mastiffs are crazy huge! Lol I got Stella just before she turned 8 weeks. I spent FOREVER trying to find a breeder with true Italian blood lines (the breed has suffered a lot since coming to the US). we had to get her shipped to us as well. Stella is a remarkable example of the breed. Both of our dogs are great, we got Sampson from a BYB but he turned out to be a really good dog though. Not too many health problems and he looks really good. He used to look funky, then he filled out completely just before he turned 3, he has matured to be a very handsome boy. We are going to hire a bully breed specialist to do some in home training. Hopefully we can get her out here this week!

    -photo-copy-9-jpgsun bathing -photo-copy-2-jpg-photo-jpg first day together -photo-copy-7-jpg first snuggle
    Last edited by Sampson; 01-26-2013 at 12:50 AM.

  10. #22
    Pet Sitter Emily's Avatar
    Posts
    391
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Debo
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    They are so gorgeous! I love that Italian Mastiff!!!!!!!!
    It's funny that it is not the mastiff that is the dominant one!
    I almost got one a couple weeks ago but the breeder only had two males left & my bully is a male too. So I didn't! What is it about those tough guy dominant breeds that I love!? You're so lucky to have those beautiful dogs! I think everything will all work out!


    Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

  11. #23
    Pooper scooper Sampson's Avatar
    Posts
    29
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sampson
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Normal bulldog "playing" and dominance question

    Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    They are so gorgeous! I love that Italian Mastiff!!!!!!!!
    It's funny that it is not the mastiff that is the dominant one!
    I almost got one a couple weeks ago but the breeder only had two males left & my bully is a male too. So I didn't! What is it about those tough guy dominant breeds that I love!? You're so lucky to have those beautiful dogs! I think everything will all work out!

    Bulldogs are angels in fur coats
    I would not get a male lol. i got very lucky that Stella is so easy going, i just hope things dont change, she isnt even 9 months yet and she already weighs 90lbs! Like I said, Stella is not your typical CC temperament, very close though. today my boyfriends mom came out here to visit and Stella was allll about her, a CC should be more aloof around strangers, but im not complaining lol, i like her being nice to others. They are great dogs, just make sure you get one from a reputable breeder.

  12. #24
    Pet Sitter Emily's Avatar
    Posts
    391
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Debo
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Wow, she is already 90 lbs!? She's probably going to get to 120 lbs lol!

    That is cool that she loved your boyfriend's mom, they are so naturally protective! Oh, she is so cute I can't stand it!!!!!

    Sampson is going to love his big, protective sister! No, one will mess with him!


    Bulldogs are angels in fur coats

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •